Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "Copper" river salmon

By now, copper river salmon should have even reached the hinterlands
of the USA. Our Safeway(pedestrian chain grocer, similar to the A&P
of your childhood) has CRS.

What is the wine of choice for CRS? I do not find chard based to be
big enough, and find pinot(even the fruity ones) to be a bit bitter
with the fish.
Posted to alt.food.wine

gerald wrote:
> By now, copper river salmon should have even reached the hinterlands
> of the USA. Our Safeway(pedestrian chain grocer, similar to the A&P
> of your childhood) has CRS.
>
> What is the wine of choice for CRS? I do not find chard based to be
> big enough, and find pinot(even the fruity ones) to be a bit bitter
> with the fish.

How are you preparing it, Gerald? I have gently smoked two sides of CRS
in the past two weeks and greatly enjoyed a GC Chablis and a powerhouse
older Muscadet with it. If those don't do it for you, what about a
bigger Riesling?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:22:35 -0300, gerald > wrote:

>By now, copper river salmon should have even reached the hinterlands
>of the USA. Our Safeway(pedestrian chain grocer, similar to the A&P
>of your childhood) has CRS.
>
>What is the wine of choice for CRS? I do not find chard based to be
>big enough, and find pinot(even the fruity ones) to be a bit bitter
>with the fish.

We've been desperately waiting for the Copper River arrival. About two
weeks ago the local Albertson had some Copper River Sockeye, but alas,
it only showed up in one shipment. Calls to Whole Foods and Central
Market in Dallas/Plano have come up negative except for one shipment
of Sockeye. Still no availability of Copper River King--which is "the"
real deal!

Maybe some will still show up in the next week or so.

My choice is usually a dark, smokey PN--not the fruity, sweet cherry
style. But, I've also enjoyed Pinot Gris/Grigio, Chablis, or even Cru
Beaujolais.

Our favorite prep is a Bobby Flay recipe from "Boy Meets Grill" using
an ancho chile powder rub and serving with a grilled fresh corn
relish. About ten minutes on the grill, indirect heat, skin side down
and it's as close to heaven as you can get.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> We've been desperately waiting for the Copper River arrival. About two
> weeks ago the local Albertson had some Copper River Sockeye, but alas,
> it only showed up in one shipment. Calls to Whole Foods and Central
> Market in Dallas/Plano have come up negative except for one shipment
> of Sockeye. Still no availability of Copper River King--which is "the"
> real deal!

Ed, I am shocked, positively shocked, that you can't find any in your
parts right now. It's been out here in podunk for close to a month now.
As you imply, CRS is a bit overhyped: it's a fine example of sockeye,
but nothing special (just good brand recognition). But King Chinook is
da bomb. IIRC, the King Chinook run is a tad later than the sockeye
run; in any event, I haven't seen any King Chinook yet this year.

> Maybe some will still show up in the next week or so.

There are mail order outfits if you get desperate. Better yet, just
head up to Alaska and go fish for your own! ;-) (My fly fishing skills
extend to trout and steelhead, so the thought of fishing for salmon
still strikes fear into my heart)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> gerald wrote:
> > By now, copper river salmon should have even reached the hinterlands
> > of the USA. Our Safeway(pedestrian chain grocer, similar to the A&P
> > of your childhood) has CRS.
> >
> > What is the wine of choice for CRS? I do not find chard based to be
> > big enough, and find pinot(even the fruity ones) to be a bit bitter
> > with the fish.

> How are you preparing it, Gerald? I have gently smoked two sides of CRS
> in the past two weeks and greatly enjoyed a GC Chablis and a powerhouse
> older Muscadet with it. If those don't do it for you, what about a
> bigger Riesling?
>
> Mark Lipton

I like Oregon Pinot Noir with Cedar Planked Copper River Salmon. I
figure Oregon is closer to Alaska anyhow.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Yes, we've seen CR for a while, but no king yet.
I'm in the PN camp (and believe for fine salmon, simplicity rules)
"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Ed Rasimus wrote:
>
>> We've been desperately waiting for the Copper River arrival. About two
>> weeks ago the local Albertson had some Copper River Sockeye, but alas,
>> it only showed up in one shipment. Calls to Whole Foods and Central
>> Market in Dallas/Plano have come up negative except for one shipment
>> of Sockeye. Still no availability of Copper River King--which is "the"
>> real deal!

> Ed, I am shocked, positively shocked, that you can't find any in your
> parts right now. It's been out here in podunk for close to a month now.
> As you imply, CRS is a bit overhyped: it's a fine example of sockeye,
> but nothing special (just good brand recognition). But King Chinook is
> da bomb. IIRC, the King Chinook run is a tad later than the sockeye
> run; in any event, I haven't seen any King Chinook yet this year.
>

>> Maybe some will still show up in the next week or so.

> There are mail order outfits if you get desperate. Better yet, just
> head up to Alaska and go fish for your own! ;-) (My fly fishing skills
> extend to trout and steelhead, so the thought of fishing for salmon
> still strikes fear into my heart)
>
> Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

A quality California Syrah is a surprisingly nice match with grilled
salmon.

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 8, 12:09?pm, "DALE WILLIAMS" >
wrote:
> Yes, we've seen CR for a while, but no king yet.
> I'm in the PN camp (and believe for fine salmon, simplicity rules)"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message

> > Ed Rasimus wrote:

> >> We've been desperately waiting for the Copper River arrival. About two
> >> weeks ago the local Albertson had some Copper River Sockeye, but alas,
> >> it only showed up in one shipment. Calls to Whole Foods and Central
> >> Market in Dallas/Plano have come up negative except for one shipment
> >> of Sockeye. Still no availability of Copper River King--which is "the"
> >> real deal!

> > Ed, I am shocked, positively shocked, that you can't find any in your
> > parts right now. It's been out here in podunk for close to a month now.
> > As you imply, CRS is a bit overhyped: it's a fine example of sockeye,
> > but nothing special (just good brand recognition). But King Chinook is
> > da bomb. IIRC, the King Chinook run is a tad later than the sockeye
> > run; in any event, I haven't seen any King Chinook yet this year.

> >> Maybe some will still show up in the next week or so.

> > There are mail order outfits if you get desperate. Better yet, just
> > head up to Alaska and go fish for your own! ;-) (My fly fishing skills
> > extend to trout and steelhead, so the thought of fishing for salmon
> > still strikes fear into my heart)

> > Mark Lipton- Hide quoted text -

I've been seeing Copper River King Salmon for the past week or so at
our local grocery chain...in fact I had it last grilled last night.
To be honest it's almost too rich and fat laden for my tastes these
days. I opened a 2002 Kistler PN that was a pretty good match.