FoodBanter.com

-   -   92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/124040-92-mayacamas-cabernet-sauvignon.html)

Emery Davis 19-05-2007 11:08 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. (Magnum).

Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
Coteaux du Layon.

Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
this wine was young but enjoyable. A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
CA style. Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

[email protected] 19-05-2007 11:15 PM

On May 19, 11:08 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. (Magnum).
>
> Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> Coteaux du Layon.
>
> Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> this wine was young but enjoyable. A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> CA style. Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.
>
> -E

Sob, you didn't invite me!

Emery Davis 19-05-2007 11:46 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

On 19 May 2007 15:15:40 -0700
" > wrote:

> On May 19, 11:08 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> > Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. (Magnum).
> >
> > Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> > Coteaux du Layon.
> >
> > Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> > this wine was young but enjoyable. A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> > CA style. Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.
> >
> > -E
> >

> Sob, you didn't invite me!

Sorry, and there was plenty, too! :)

Anyway, since you don't drink much red you'd have been out of luck on
the Mayacamas. But no one would have noticed if you'd have drunk the
sauce. :)

I was going to open a white with the starter (leek potato soup with olive oil
and Parmesan -- yes, Italian theme in spite of the wine) but the red worked
out just fine. And our guests are not big drinkers.

cheers Judith, now back to the cleanup,

-E

[email protected] 20-05-2007 10:56 AM

On May 19, 11:46 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> On 19 May 2007 15:15:40 -0700
>
> " > wrote:
> > On May 19, 11:08 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> > > Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. (Magnum).

> > > Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> > > Coteaux du Layon.

> > > Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> > > this wine was young but enjoyable. A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> > > CA style. Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.

> > > -E

> > Sob, you didn't invite me!

> Sorry, and there was plenty, too! :)
>
> Anyway, since you don't drink much red you'd have been out of luck on
> the Mayacamas. But no one would have noticed if you'd have drunk the
> sauce. :)
>
> I was going to open a white with the starter (leek potato soup with olive oil
> and Parmesan -- yes, Italian theme in spite of the wine) but the red worked
> out just fine. And our guests are not big drinkers.
>
> cheers Judith, now back to the cleanup,

It was the menu I was sobbing over not the red wine!!! I have a huge
lump of wild boar in the freezer in France and I just don't know what
to do with it, I have done the usual stews but I have run out of
ideas.

Judith

DaleW 20-05-2007 02:40 PM

On May 19, 6:08�pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. *(Magnum).
>
> Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> Coteaux du Layon.
>
> Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. *Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> this wine was young but enjoyable. *A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> CA style. *Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.
>
> -E
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies
> Questions about wine? *Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.
Thanks

[email protected] 20-05-2007 03:42 PM

On May 20, 2:40 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On May 19, 6:08?pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
>

> > Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. ?(Magnum).

> > Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> > Coteaux du Layon.

> > Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. ?Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> > this wine was young but enjoyable. ?A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> > CA style. ?Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.

> > -E

> > --
> > Emery Davis
> > You can reply to
> > by removing the well known companies
> > Questions about wine? ?Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
> cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.
> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Where are you Dale, we can get it easily in England and in France, in
fact as we speak there are a few of them walking across the veggie
garden, grr, gerroff my cabbages!

Judith

DaleW 20-05-2007 04:25 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

On May 20, 10:42?am, "
> wrote:
> On May 20, 2:40 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On May 19, 6:08?pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

> > > Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. ?(Magnum).

> > > Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> > > Coteaux du Layon.

> > > Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. ?Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> > > this wine was young but enjoyable. ?A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> > > CA style. ?Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.

> > > -E

> > > --
> > > Emery Davis
> > > You can reply to
> > > by removing the well known companies
> > > Questions about wine? ?Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> > Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
> > cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> Where are you Dale, we can get it easily in England and in France, in
> fact as we speak there are a few of them walking across the veggie
> garden, grr, gerroff my cabbages!
>
> Judith- Hide quoted text -

US (NYC metro area). US market is not generally great for poultry
other than chicken, duck, and turkey. We can find capon and goose
pretty easily. I can get guinea hens, pheasant, squab but it takes
effort.

[email protected] 20-05-2007 04:51 PM

On May 20, 4:25 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On May 20, 10:42?am, "
>

> > wrote:

> > > Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
> > > cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.
> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> > Where are you Dale, we can get it easily in England and in France, in
> > fact as we speak there are a few of them walking across the veggie
> > garden, grr, gerroff my cabbages!

> > Judith- Hide quoted text -

> US (NYC metro area). US market is not generally great for poultry
> other than chicken, duck, and turkey. We can find capon and goose
> pretty easily. I can get guinea hens, pheasant, squab but it takes
> effort.- Hide quoted text -

Squab as in pigeon?

I would offer to send you some pintade but it might be off by the time
you got it!!

A friend once sent me some Munster cheese from France, when the
postman delivered it, he told me to hold it downwind!

Judith

Emery Davis 20-05-2007 06:42 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

On 20 May 2007 02:56:39 -0700
" > wrote:

> It was the menu I was sobbing over not the red wine!!! I have a huge
> lump of wild boar in the freezer in France and I just don't know what
> to do with it, I have done the usual stews but I have run out of
> ideas.

Yes, I have the same situation. A couple of times per year the hunters
(we don't hunt ourselves) present us with a "good neighbor" offering.

This past year was boar and boar, and there are a couple of racks sitting
in there. Probably will be a standing roast of some kind.

If the cut is good enough you can marinate and do steaks, or if you're
on good terms with a butcher he will convert it into roasts. (Careful, it's
not legal for him to do, so make sure he's a friendly before asking.)

-E

Emery Davis 20-05-2007 06:46 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

On 20 May 2007 06:40:27 -0700
DaleW > wrote:

> Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
> cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.

Really very like the 70 you described. Don't know my vintages well enough
in CA but I wonder if it was a little weaker of a year.

Decent CdL can procured cheaply here although we don't often use it for
cooking either. The bottle in question was a 4 EU Dom. Ambinos demi-sec;
probably any Loire chenin demi-sec would do. At that price was happy
to sacrifice the entirety to the cause!

cheers,

-E

Jose 20-05-2007 10:22 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

> If the cut is good enough you can marinate and do steaks, or if you're
> on good terms with a butcher he will convert it into roasts. (Careful, it's
> not legal for him to do, so make sure he's a friendly before asking.)

I'd never heard of that. Why isn't it legal?

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when

Emery Davis 21-05-2007 12:17 AM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:22:30 -0400
Jose > wrote:

> > If the cut is good enough you can marinate and do steaks, or if you're
> > on good terms with a butcher he will convert it into roasts. (Careful, it's
> > not legal for him to do, so make sure he's a friendly before asking.)

> I'd never heard of that. Why isn't it legal?

In France, where I suppose the Alleged Freezer to be, the butcher is only
permitted to work with meat for which he has full abattoir chain documentation.

A sanitary precaution, presumably.

-E

Bi!! 21-05-2007 02:15 PM

On May 20, 9:40 am, DaleW > wrote:
> On May 19, 6:08?pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
>

> > Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. ?(Magnum).

> > Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> > Coteaux du Layon.

> > Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. ?Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> > this wine was young but enjoyable. ?A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> > CA style. ?Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.

> > -E

> > --
> > Emery Davis
> > You can reply to
> > by removing the well known companies
> > Questions about wine? ?Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
> cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.
> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I thought D'Artagnan sold it? We are fortuante here to have a
supplier nearby of guinea, pheasant, quail, a variety of ducks and
hierloom breeds of turkey and chicken.

DaleW 21-05-2007 03:44 PM

On May 21, 9:15�am, Bi!! > wrote:
> On May 20, 9:40 am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On May 19, 6:08?pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

> > > Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. ?(Magnum).

> > > Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> > > Coteaux du Layon.

> > > Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. ?Very true to Dale's note on the 70,
> > > this wine was young but enjoyable. ?A classy bottle that belies the in-your-face
> > > CA style. ?Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.

> > > -E

> > > --
> > > Emery Davis
> > > You can reply to
> > > by removing the well known companies
> > > Questions about wine? ?Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> > Nice notes. And sounds like some meal. CdL is usually too pricy to
> > cook with here! I love pintade/guinea, but seldom see it around here.
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I thought D'Artagnan sold it? *We are fortuante here to have a
> supplier nearby of guinea, pheasant, quail, a variety of ducks and
> hierloom breeds of turkey and chicken.- Hide quoted text -

D'Artagnan does sell guinea, but no place locally stocks it (besides
mail order, D'Artagnan distributes to local markets), but while some
local markets carry their boar, and occasionally pheasant or squab, I
have never seen guinea on a shelf; so a pintade dinner requires mail
order from their website. Doable, but a pain.

[email protected] 21-05-2007 10:23 PM

On May 20, 4:25 pm, DaleW > wrote:

> US (NYC metro area). US market is not generally great for poultry
> other than chicken, duck, and turkey. We can find capon and goose
> pretty easily. I can get guinea hens, pheasant, squab but it takes
> effort.- >

I love goose especially with potato stuffing. The USA is such a huge
place compared with England. I have been to many of your major
cities, including New York, and I particularly found the fish to be
absolutely great, in New Orleans, Galveston, Long Beach and San
Francisco and so cheap. in England the same shellfish would cost an
arm and a leg.

Judith

Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] 02-06-2007 10:48 PM

92 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon

In article >,
Emery Davis > wrote:

> Dale's tasting of the other night inspired us to try one of these. (Magnum).
>
> Served with Guinea Hen with cru wild boar ham, cepes and artichoke hearts in
> Coteaux du Layon.
>
> Tons of tobacco, some pepper and bramble. Very true to Dale's note on the
> 70,
> this wine was young but enjoyable. A classy bottle that belies the
> in-your-face
> CA style. Only downside was just a hint of bell pepper.
>
> -E

Bell pepper is often the taste of older California Cabs. Mayacamas Cab
1976 was one of my all time great wines. They seem to have lost a bit in
recent years.