Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Louis Roederer Cristal 2000

I have been given a bottle of this lovely vintage by my youngest
daughter as a special present. I am familiar with good champagne but
this will be the first time I have had Cristal whilst sober! The last
time I had a glass, at some dinner, I can only remember the bubbles.

To enjoy it to its utmost:

1) I have to drink it sober

2) Do I treat it exactly as other champagnes, temperature etc.

Many thanks

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 7:01 am, "
> wrote:
> I have been given a bottle of this lovely vintage by my youngest
> daughter as a special present. I am familiar with good champagne but
> this will be the first time I have had Cristal whilst sober! The last
> time I had a glass, at some dinner, I can only remember the bubbles.
>
> To enjoy it to its utmost:
>
> 1) I have to drink it sober
>
> 2) Do I treat it exactly as other champagnes, temperature etc.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Judith

It has been a while since I last had Cristal, but I would say you
should serve it in about the same way as other fine Champagnes such as
Krug etc. If you cool it so cold that it nearly freezes, you may not
be able to taste subtle complexity. Just about any Champagne is not
very good if served near room temperature. A temperature of about 46
to 50 F will please many. However remember that if the temperature of
the Champagne is right and you serve it in heavy cut crystal glasses
stored at room temperature, the glass of Champagne warms very rapidly
after you pour it. I would either use glasses with a bowl that is
paper thin, or chill the glasses to about the same temperature of the
Champagne. But tastes vary with time and from country to country.

In the late 1800s frozen Champagne was the rage. Even special
champagne freezers were made that held the unopened bottle of
champagne in a pail that was filled with ice and much salt, and a
crank mechanism allowed the bottle to turn as the wine was being
frozen. When served, a considerable amount of the wine was frozen, but
not to the point of a sorbet.

Then there is the old joke about the difference between US and UK
taste. Those in the US are supposed to chill their malt Scotch in the
deep freeze along with glasses, and then serve the malt diluted with
ice water. People from the UK are supposed to start with everything at
room temperature, use no ice, and dilute their malt with hot water
from the tea kettle.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 4:57 pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

.. I would either use glasses with a bowl that is
> paper thin, or chill the glasses to about the same temperature of the
> Champagne. But tastes vary with time and from country to country.

I use wafter thin flutes and like you keep them in a cold place not
the kitchen.

Your comment about ice and much salt, I saw that done in Guadeloupe
about 3 weeks ago when a chef was giving a demonstration of making ice
cream.

People from the UK are supposed to start with everything at
> room temperature, use no ice, and dilute their malt with hot water
> from the tea kettle.

I don't drink Scotch but I have never seen an yone pour hot water into
it, except when one is ill and they have a hot toddy with sugar or
honey, hot water and Scotch.

Thanks for your comments at least this time I shall be sober when I
drink it.

Final comment, I have never had Cristal Rose and I wonder if it is
worth the price?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 8:48 pm, "Ken Blake" >
> > Final comment, I have never had Cristal Rose and I wonder if it is
> > worth the price?

> Value is always in the eyes of the beholder. We all have different palates
> and different sized pocketbooks. To someone who can't afford more than a $10
> bottle of wine, no, it's not worth the price. To Bill Gates, the price is
> irrelevant.

I'm not quite sure how to answer this as you have given me food for
thought!! Lets forget what it costs and ask instead is it an
exceptional wine?

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

I have had and I do think it is an excellent wine. It is not my favorite in
that price range I prefer Krug NV and Krug vintage and well as Bollinger
wines.

That said the same producer Roederer has a Anderson Valley Sparkling called
L'Hermitage Brut and honestly it is one of the finest Sparklers I have ever
had. And you can get about 5 bottles for the price of Cristal.
" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 19, 8:48 pm, "Ken Blake" >
> wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Final comment, I have never had Cristal Rose and I wonder if it is
>> > worth the price?

>> Value is always in the eyes of the beholder. We all have different
>> palates
>> and different sized pocketbooks. To someone who can't afford more than a
>> $10
>> bottle of wine, no, it's not worth the price. To Bill Gates, the price is
>> irrelevant.

> I'm not quite sure how to answer this as you have given me food for
> thought!! Lets forget what it costs and ask instead is it an
> exceptional wine?
>
> Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 11:04 pm, "Ken Blake" >
> > On May 19, 8:48 pm, "Ken Blake" >
> > wrote:

> >> Value is always in the eyes of the beholder. We all have different
> >> palates and different sized pocketbooks. To someone who can't afford
> >> more than a $10 bottle of wine, no, it's not worth the price. To
> >> Bill Gates, the price is irrelevant.

> > I'm not quite sure how to answer this as you have given me food for
> > thought!! Lets forget what it costs and ask instead is it an
> > exceptional wine?

> You'll have to wait for someone else to answer that question. I've never
> tasted it. But harking back to my original point (we all have different
> palates), if *I* wanted to spend a lot of money on a wine, I'd almost
> certainly choose a still wine over a sparkling one.

I would spend it on a white Sauvignon Blanc which proves your popint,
it all to do with indivudal palates. However, Champage is a class
apart, and I mean in terms of different wine, there is red wine, white
wine, rose and champagne. I like a fizzy wine now and again but for
everyday it's white still wine.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 11:14 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> I have had and I do think it is an excellent wine. It is not my favorite in
> that price range I prefer Krug NV and Krug vintage and well as Bollinger
> wines.
>
> That said the same producer Roederer has a Anderson Valley Sparkling called
> L'Hermitage Brut and honestly it is one of the finest Sparklers I have ever
> had. And you can get about 5 bottles for the price of Cristal.

Richard thank you!!! I have printed off your post and as it is
nighttime here, 2340, I will search tomorrow.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 8:01�am, "
> wrote:
> I have been given a bottle of this lovely vintage by my youngest
> daughter as a special present. *I am familiar with good champagne but
> this will be the first time I have had Cristal whilst sober! *The last
> time I had a glass, at some dinner, I can only remember the bubbles.
>
> To enjoy it to its utmost:
>
> 1) *I have to drink it sober
>
> 2) *Do I treat it exactly as other champagnes, temperature etc.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Judith

I'm going to start with the disclaimer that my personal preferences in
Champagne tend to go towards the lighter, more delicate styled houses
(Billecart-Salmon, Jacquesson, Taittinger) than the bigger styled
(Roederer, Veuve Cliquot, Bollingers, etc). And Cristal challenges
Krug for biggest boy on the block. I'm in the minority on this,
probably

Now that that's out of the way....while I like to serve light NV quite
cold, I think that cellar cool temps is about right for the big
vintage champagnes (50-55� F, or about 10-12C). I'd also advise white
wine glasses rather than flutes, to fully get that big nose.

Below is a recipe I like with Champagne, though you might want
something sturdier with the Krug:

Smoked Trout Mousse on Pumpernickel Toasts (Loosely adapted by Manuel
Camblor from "Arlene Feltman Sailhac''s De Gustibus Presents: Great
Recipes of the Great Cooks"):

This makes a decent-size bowl that will serve about 8:

8 Oz. Store-bought smoked trout filets, no skin, no bones.
4 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
2 Sticks good unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp chopped dill
Splash of jalape�o sauce
Splash of lime juice

The preparation for this is too simple to be true. Pulse the smoked
fish with the heavy cream in a food processor until you have a coarse
paste. Add the dill, pulse some more. Then start adding the softened
butter in pieces. The paste will smoothen a lot. You''re looking for a
consistency that''s velvety rather than silky. Add splashes of the
jalape�o sauce and lime, using best judgment.Serve with toasted wedges
of pumpernickel bread.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 3:00 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On May 19, 8:01?am, "
>
> > wrote:
> > I have been given a bottle of this lovely vintage by my youngest
> > daughter as a special present. ?I am familiar with good champagne but
> > this will be the first time I have had Cristal whilst sober! ?The last
> > time I had a glass, at some dinner, I can only remember the bubbles.

> > To enjoy it to its utmost:

> > 1) ?I have to drink it sober

> > 2) ?Do I treat it exactly as other champagnes, temperature etc.

> > Many thanks

> > Judith

> I'm going to start with the disclaimer that my personal preferences in
> Champagne tend to go towards the lighter, more delicate styled houses
> (Billecart-Salmon, Jacquesson, Taittinger) than the bigger styled
> (Roederer, Veuve Cliquot, Bollingers, etc). And Cristal challenges
> Krug for biggest boy on the block. I'm in the minority on this,
> probably
>
> Now that that's out of the way....while I like to serve light NV quite
> cold, I think that cellar cool temps is about right for the big
> vintage champagnes (50-55? F, or about 10-12C). I'd also advise white
> wine glasses rather than flutes, to fully get that big nose.
>
> Below is a recipe I like with Champagne, though you might want
> something sturdier with the Krug:
>
> Smoked Trout Mousse on Pumpernickel Toasts (Loosely adapted by Manuel
> Camblor from "Arlene Feltman Sailhac''s De Gustibus Presents: Great
> Recipes of the Great Cooks"):
>
> This makes a decent-size bowl that will serve about 8:
>
> 8 Oz. Store-bought smoked trout filets, no skin, no bones.
> 4 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
> 2 Sticks good unsalted butter, softened
> 2 tbsp chopped dill
> Splash of jalape?o sauce
> Splash of lime juice
>
> The preparation for this is too simple to be true. Pulse the smoked
> fish with the heavy cream in a food processor until you have a coarse
> paste. Add the dill, pulse some more. Then start adding the softened
> butter in pieces. The paste will smoothen a lot. You''re looking for a
> consistency that''s velvety rather than silky. Add splashes of the
> jalape?o sauce and lime, using best judgment.Serve with toasted wedges
> of pumpernickel bread.

This is great, I have printed it off. Thanks for the information, I
will let you know my comments when I have opened the bottle.

The recipe for the fish pate I will use and serve it on mini toasts
with an aperitif for guests before we sit down to dinner. Thank you.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 3:00 pm, DaleW > wrote:

p.s. what is two sticks of butter??

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 10:47�am, "
> wrote:
> On May 20, 3:00 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> p.s. *what is two sticks of butter??
>
> Judith

1/2 lb.
Most butter in US is sold in lbs, divided into 4 sticks.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 11:41 am, "
> wrote:

> Final comment, I have never had Cristal Rose and I wonder if it is
> worth the price?

Rose Champagne has been around for a very long time, although the
popularity of it has had ups and downs. I seldom buy it, because it
often is sold at a premium price over the normal Champagne, and I find
it no better, although a bit different, in taste. Some of the better
rose Champagnes, including Cristal, are liked by many and have had
very good reviews by some critics.

At least in the US in the past, rose Champagne often was not
considered a serious wine. It was supposed to be for old bankers and
brokers to offer to a chorus girl or young lady, often young enough to
be the man's daughter or even granddaughter. If the man was afraid his
wife might find out about the date, the dinner might be served in a
private room at a fancy restaurant. Even regular Champagne had a
rather sexy reputation in the Victorian era. The bubbles were supposed
to be part of the problem. Many proper ladies carried ornate swizzle
sticks made from gold or silver, often with small jewels attached.
When served a glass of Champagne, the swizzle stick was rapidly
rotated in the wine, and nearly all of the bubbles were gone in short
order. This was an era when everything had to be very proper in
public. In private, it was the golden age of pornography in books if
one knew where to find the books from underground sources. Also the
"Champagne" made in the Eastern US from native grapes at that time
often was very poor, and if anything the pink versions were worse.

One of my grandmothers lived to a very old age and was in her mid 40s
when my mother was born. Her father was a physician and sent his
daughters to college, which was not very common then. My grandmother
was educated at a long gone ladies college in the late 1800s. Subjects
suited for ladies then included Latin and Greek, carefully selected
English literature, including Milton and such, and writing long essays
on subjects such as virtue. Her graduation was given partly in Latin
and partly in ancient Greek. When I was a young child, the old lady,
in her 80s, would come for extended visits after her husband died. She
still wore great corsets, and my mother had to lace them up in the
back for her every day. My mother tried to get her to give up the
corsets, but the old lady said a proper lady should wear a corset. My
mother pointed out that there were modern corsets that were not
difficult to get on, but the old lady still wore her old corsets. The
old lady would not say arms or legs, but rather said limbs if she had
to mention the subject at all. Saying arms or legs in reference to
people was considered vulgar. She would not use the work bull for an
animal. She would use the Latin word taurus instead, and considered
bull as extremely vulgar. She did have some interesting observations.
She had worn both hoop skirts and bustles in the past. She said
bustles were uncomfortable, because they forced you to sit on the
front edge of a chair. One had to be very careful how one sat down
when wearing a hoop skirt, as a hoop might spring up and lift the
dress. This would have been a major faux pax in the late Victorian
era. Perhaps this will help to explain why so many ideas concerning
wine and many other subjects from the late 1800s and early 1900s seem
so strange to us today.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 20 May 2007 10:36:19 -0700
cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> > Final comment, I have never had Cristal Rose and I wonder if it is
> > worth the price?

> Rose Champagne has been around for a very long time, although the
> popularity of it has had ups and downs. I seldom buy it, because it
> often is sold at a premium price over the normal Champagne, and I find
> it no better, although a bit different, in taste. Some of the better
> rose Champagnes, including Cristal, are liked by many and have had
> very good reviews by some critics.

[snip entertaining post]

CWDjr, thanks for the great post. Very informative and enjoyable, and
I had never heard of the swizzle sticks.

A rosé we have enjoyed is Billecart-Saumon, although Adele is much
more fond of Champagne than I.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 1:36�pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> [...]

> old lady would not say arms or legs, but rather said limbs if she had
> to mention the subject at all. Saying arms or legs in reference to
> people was considered vulgar. *She would not use the work bull for an
> animal. She would use the Latin word taurus instead, and considered
> bull as extremely vulgar. She did have some interesting observations.
> She had worn both hoop skirts and bustles in the past. She said
> bustles were uncomfortable, because they forced you to sit on the
> front edge of a chair. One had to be very careful how one sat down
> when wearing a hoop skirt, as a hoop might spring up and lift the
> dress. This would have been a major faux pax in the late Victorian
> era. Perhaps this will help to explain why so many ideas concerning
> wine and many other subjects from the late 1800s and early 1900s seem

I think rose is more food friendly than regular or BdB Champagne, like
Emery I like Billecarte-Salmon, though it has gotten pricy.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 6:36 pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On May 19, 11:41 am, "
> At least in the US in the past, rose Champagne often was not
> considered a serious wine. It was supposed to be for old bankers and
> brokers to offer to a chorus girl

Oh I like that, I can do chorus girld even though I was convent
educated!!

> One of my grandmothers lived to a very old age and was in her mid 40s
> when my mother was born. Her father was a physician and sent his
> daughters to college, which was not very common then. My grandmother
> was educated at a long gone ladies college in the late 1800s

Big snip of a lovely story, thank you, how interesting. If I had a
wish it would be for just five minutes to be transported to five
different centuries, one minute in each, I can only dream.

Kind regards - Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 6:58 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

> CWDjr, thanks for the great post. Very informative and enjoyable, and
> I had never heard of the swizzle sticks.

I have seen some, they are not too expensive in English antique shops,
usually made of silver, but was that a good idea, silver?
Oxidization?

I looked up the Anderson Valley L'Hermitage, interesting but I can't
find a supplier, on the web, in England.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 8:27 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> I think rose is more food friendly than regular or BdB Champagne, like
> Emery I like Billecarte-Salmon, though it has gotten pricy.- Hide quoted text -

But have you seen the price of Roederer Rose Champage?? I think I
would have to have a glass at someone's house before I spent that sort
of money.

I was talking to my daughter in London on the phone and discussing my
bottle of Cristal. I thought she would be just slightly impressed,
no, she tells me that she drinks it at Ascot and at Polo. No doubt
some man was paying for it, bad girl! I do wish she would get
married.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

Probably not imported there. Its great stuff from his California.

Might also help if I spelled it correctly. here it is:

1998 Roederer Estate L'Ermitage Brut Anderson Valley

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 20, 6:58 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
>>
>> CWDjr, thanks for the great post. Very informative and enjoyable, and
>> I had never heard of the swizzle sticks.

> I have seen some, they are not too expensive in English antique shops,
> usually made of silver, but was that a good idea, silver?
> Oxidization?
>
> I looked up the Anderson Valley L'Hermitage, interesting but I can't
> find a supplier, on the web, in England.
>
> Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 9:41 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
> Probably not imported there. Its great stuff from his California.
>
> Might also help if I spelled it correctly. here it is:
>
> 1998 Roederer Estate L'Ermitage Brut Anderson Valley
>
> " > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On May 20, 6:58 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

> >> CWDjr, thanks for the great post. Very informative and enjoyable, and
> >> I had never heard of the swizzle sticks.

> > I have seen some, they are not too expensive in English antique shops,
> > usually made of silver, but was that a good idea, silver?
> > Oxidization?

> > I looked up the Anderson Valley L'Hermitage, interesting but I can't
> > find a supplier, on the web, in England.

> > Judith- Hide quoted text -

I still can't find it!!!

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sorry. I am in USA and it is here. French Champagne is almost everywhere
in the world. The French Owned Roederer in Napa-Anderson Valley may not be
exported. I simply do not know.

I would mail you a bottle but then I would go to jail as we, private
citizens cannot legally mail or cause shipment.

I will say that Cristal 2000 is outstanding wine. Great now...better in a
few years. One of the few Champagne in my opinion like Krug and Dom that
will age well.
" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 20, 9:41 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>> Probably not imported there. Its great stuff from his California.
>>
>> Might also help if I spelled it correctly. here it is:
>>
>> 1998 Roederer Estate L'Ermitage Brut Anderson Valley
>>
>> " > wrote in
>> message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> > I have seen some, they are not too expensive in English antique shops,
>> > usually made of silver, but was that a good idea, silver?
>> > Oxidization?

>> > I looked up the Anderson Valley L'Hermitage, interesting but I can't
>> > find a supplier, on the web, in England.

>> > Judith- Hide quoted text -

> I still can't find it!!!
>
> Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Richard Neidich" wrote .......

> Sorry. I am in USA and it is here. French Champagne is almost everywhere
> in the world. The French Owned Roederer in Napa-Anderson Valley may not
> be exported.

Many of the major Champagne houses have operations in the New World.

Moët & Chandon are in the USA and Australia.

Veuve Clicquot own Pelorus in NZ

As stated Roederer are in the USA, and others have a presence outside of
France.

However, as a generalisation, they would market these products mainly in
their country of origin, so it surprises me not Judith that you cannot find
these wines in the UK (after all, Britain is part of the EU; subject to EU
regulations / restrictions.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleWilliams" wrote .....

> I think rose is more food friendly than regular or BdB
> Champagne, like Emery I like Billecarte-Salmon ...

Last New Years Eve, our group of six celebrated with our normal
get-together: this year, we did seafood and Champagne.

After a sensational evening (there were 13 empty bottles, including 2
magnums) as usual over a late and seedy breakfast we discussed the wine/food
matches.

Certainly, the we found that with salmon, rock lobster and the more
flavoursome dishes, the rose Champagnes matched perfectly.

However, with oysters and prawns etc. the premium vintages we opened were
excellently suited.

#1 Champagne of the night (served with salmon filet with a dill dressing)
was 1985 Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle "Alexandra" Rose.

#1 "White" was 1985 Pol Roger "Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill"

Must confess that the senses were fading - somewhere between the "1990 La
Grande Dame" and the 1979 Bolly RD.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

That makes sense then.

Also, I beleive Veuve also has a Mendicino company called Pacific Echo and
they make sparklers there too.

I like Roederer of USA better then their French parent. Then again I like
the Louis Roederer NV better than the Cristal vintage.
Moet (other then Dom) I like California better than France, and really like
the Argentina Chandons.
Tattenger I like in France Better than USA counterpart Domaine Carneros.

I do like Champagne and sparklers. One of my best value finds in 1999 for a
2000 party was a Spanish Cava called Xenious...no longer available where I
live :-( . It was under $8.00 USD at that time)

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Richard Neidich" wrote .......
>>
>> Sorry. I am in USA and it is here. French Champagne is almost
>> everywhere in the world. The French Owned Roederer in Napa-Anderson
>> Valley may not be exported.
>>

> Many of the major Champagne houses have operations in the New World.
>
> Moët & Chandon are in the USA and Australia.
>
> Veuve Clicquot own Pelorus in NZ
>
> As stated Roederer are in the USA, and others have a presence outside of
> France.
>
> However, as a generalisation, they would market these products mainly in
> their country of origin, so it surprises me not Judith that you cannot
> find these wines in the UK (after all, Britain is part of the EU; subject
> to EU regulations / restrictions.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 3:27 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]

> > people was considered vulgar. ?She would not use the work bull for an
> > animal. She would use the Latin word taurus instead, and considered
> > bull as extremely vulgar. She did have some interesting observations.
> > She had worn both hoop skirts and bustles in the past. She said
> > bustles were uncomfortable, because they forced you to sit on the
> > front edge of a chair. One had to be very careful how one sat down
> > when wearing a hoop skirt, as a hoop might spring up and lift the
> > dress. This would have been a major faux pax in the late Victorian
> > era. Perhaps this will help to explain why so many ideas concerning
> > wine and many other subjects from the late 1800s and early 1900s seem
> > so strange to us today.

> I think rose is more food friendly than regular or BdB Champagne, like
> Emery I like Billecarte-Salmon, though it has gotten pricy.- Hide quoted text -

Rose is my favorite also and Rene Geoffroy is my favorite at about $35
in Ohio.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 8:01 am, "
> wrote:
> I have been given a bottle of this lovely vintage by my youngest
> daughter as a special present. I am familiar with good champagne but
> this will be the first time I have had Cristal whilst sober! The last
> time I had a glass, at some dinner, I can only remember the bubbles.
>
> To enjoy it to its utmost:
>
> 1) I have to drink it sober
>
> 2) Do I treat it exactly as other champagnes, temperature etc.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Judith

I would serve it a bit colder than chardonnay. I like it well chilled
at about 45F. While I find Cristal to be a very big style, I find it
to be bursting with fruit especially apples. Enjoy this special
treat.

Posted to alt.food.wine

If you can;t find a distributor there, try calling or writing the
winery. I call them once a year or so to order some of their excellent Pinot
Noir - available only direct from them.
http://www.roedererestate.net/

" > wrote:

>I still can't find it!!!
>
>Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 21, 8:27 pm, > wrote:
> If you can;t find a distributor there, try calling or writing the
> winery. I call them once a year or so to order some of their excellent Pinot
> Noir - available only direct from them.http://www.roedererestate.net/
>
> " > wrote:
>
> >I still can't find it!!!

> >Judith

> --

Thanks Ric, I took a look but I am in England!!

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 21, 2:08 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> On May 19, 8:01 am, "
>
> > wrote:
> > I have been given a bottle of this lovely vintage by my youngest
> > daughter as a special present. I am familiar with good champagne but
> > this will be the first time I have had Cristal whilst sober! The last
> > time I had a glass, at some dinner, I can only remember the bubbles.

> > To enjoy it to its utmost:

> > 1) I have to drink it sober

> > 2) Do I treat it exactly as other champagnes, temperature etc.

> > Many thanks

> > Judith

> I would serve it a bit colder than chardonnay. I like it well chilled
> at about 45F. While I find Cristal to be a very big style, I find it
> to be bursting with fruit especially apples. Enjoy this special
> treat.

Thank you, taking into account the comments from all of you, I will
keep it until next year. I am a hospital manager (one of many!) in
England and I retire in December this year, albeit with mixed
emotions. I have been doing a job that I have thoroughly enjoyed and
been paid for it! I shall raise a glass to the National Health
Service of the UK despite its knocks, it is still the best, in my
opinion, in the World, free at the point of delivery.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 20, 11:13 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> I would mail you a bottle but then I would go to jail as we, private
> citizens cannot legally mail or cause shipment.

Aah Bless, lovely thought. Don't go to gaol, you might bump into
Paris Hilton, perish the thought!

> I will say that Cristal 2000 is outstanding wine. Great now...better in a
> few years. One of the few Champagne in my opinion like Krug and Dom that
> will age well>

Thank you for this, I intend to drink it in December this year.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

Here in the states I can ship you a gun but not a bottle of wine. Sad.

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 20, 11:13 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>>
>> I would mail you a bottle but then I would go to jail as we, private
>> citizens cannot legally mail or cause shipment.

> Aah Bless, lovely thought. Don't go to gaol, you might bump into
> Paris Hilton, perish the thought!
>>
>> I will say that Cristal 2000 is outstanding wine. Great now...better in
>> few years. One of the few Champagne in my opinion like Krug and Dom that
>> will age well>

> Thank you for this, I intend to drink it in December this year.
>
> Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> "Richard Neidich" wrote .......
>> Sorry. I am in USA and it is here. French Champagne is almost everywhere
>> in the world. The French Owned Roederer in Napa-Anderson Valley may not
>> be exported.
>>

> Many of the major Champagne houses have operations in the New World.
>
> Moët & Chandon are in the USA and Australia.
>
> Veuve Clicquot own Pelorus in NZ
>
> As stated Roederer are in the USA, and others have a presence outside of
> France.

Just to complete that thought, in CA you can find the following
Champagne houses:

Taittinger - Domaine Carneros (Carneros)
Moët & Chandon - Domaine Chandon (Napa)
G. H. Mumm - Mumm Cuvée Napa (Napa)
Veuve Clicquot Poinsardin - Pacific Echo (Mendocino)
Louis Roederer - Roederer (Mendocino)
Piper-Heidsieck - Piper Sonoma (Sonoma)

Mark Lipton