Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Hunter Valley (Australia) Tours

Hi all,

Getting very close to going to Australia. We will be in Syndey and
are looking at some of the day trip tours to Hunter Valley. Anyone
ever done one of those? Any recommendations would be very helpful as
we don't know which are good ones and which should be avoided.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Avoid Hunter Valley!
No good red wine ever was made from Hunter Valley Grapes.
(Quote from Hunter Valley Winemaker)

Hop a cheap flight to Adelaide or Melbourne and visit the World famous
Barossa (Cabernets and Shiraz plus Sav Blanc), Yarra Valley or Mornington
Peninsula (everything, but particularly Pinot Noir)regions.

"fsa3" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Getting very close to going to Australia. We will be in Syndey and
> are looking at some of the day trip tours to Hunter Valley. Anyone
> ever done one of those? Any recommendations would be very helpful as
> we don't know which are good ones and which should be avoided.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Maybe no good RED wine, but I've enjoyed Verdelho and Semillon from HV.
"Potblak" > wrote in message
> Avoid Hunter Valley!
> No good red wine ever was made from Hunter Valley Grapes.
> (Quote from Hunter Valley Winemaker)
>
> Hop a cheap flight to Adelaide or Melbourne and visit the World famous
> Barossa (Cabernets and Shiraz plus Sav Blanc), Yarra Valley or Mornington
> Peninsula (everything, but particularly Pinot Noir)regions.
>
> "fsa3" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Getting very close to going to Australia. We will be in Syndey and
>> are looking at some of the day trip tours to Hunter Valley. Anyone
>> ever done one of those? Any recommendations would be very helpful as
>> we don't know which are good ones and which should be avoided.
>>
>> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"fsa3" wrote ...

> Getting very close to going to Australia. We will be in Syndey and
> are looking at some of the day trip tours to Hunter Valley. Anyone
> ever done one of those? Any recommendations would be very helpful as
> we don't know which are good ones and which should be avoided.

This very interesteing article should help

http://www.winefront.com.au/hunter-valley-wine-guide/

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:13:44 +1000, "Potblak" >
wrote:

>Avoid Hunter Valley!
>No good red wine ever was made from Hunter Valley Grapes.
>(Quote from Hunter Valley Winemaker)
>
>Hop a cheap flight to Adelaide or Melbourne and visit the World famous
>Barossa (Cabernets and Shiraz plus Sav Blanc), Yarra Valley or Mornington
>Peninsula (everything, but particularly Pinot Noir)regions.
>
>"fsa3" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Getting very close to going to Australia. We will be in Syndey and
>> are looking at some of the day trip tours to Hunter Valley. Anyone
>> ever done one of those? Any recommendations would be very helpful as
>> we don't know which are good ones and which should be avoided.
>>
>> Thanks!

Cannot concur. Brokenwood's Graveyard Shiraz would make my top 20
Aussie reds, (the 98 was iconic). Tyrells and Rothbury do some very
good Shiraz, and Lakes Folly have a terrific Cabernet.

HV is very weather dependant, from the coolish weather to heat waves,
so vintage variation is probably more extreme than any region in Oz.
Bad HV years ARE bad, but their best is excellent.

hooroo....

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:08:27 -0400, "DALE WILLIAMS"
> wrote:

>Maybe no good RED wine, but I've enjoyed Verdelho and Semillon from HV.
>"Potblak" > wrote in message
>> Avoid Hunter Valley!
>> No good red wine ever was made from Hunter Valley Grapes.
>> (Quote from Hunter Valley Winemaker)
>>
>> Hop a cheap flight to Adelaide or Melbourne and visit the World famous
>> Barossa (Cabernets and Shiraz plus Sav Blanc), Yarra Valley or Mornington
>> Peninsula (everything, but particularly Pinot Noir)regions.
>>
>> "fsa3" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Getting very close to going to Australia. We will be in Syndey and
>>> are looking at some of the day trip tours to Hunter Valley. Anyone
>>> ever done one of those? Any recommendations would be very helpful as
>>> we don't know which are good ones and which should be avoided.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Dale, the HV as you would know, is the epicentre of Australia's best
Semillon. Tyrell's Vat 1 and Belfords, McWilliam Mt Pleasant
Lovedale, and Brokenwood again, continually put forward world class
Semillon, that ages magnificently. Unfortunately, here in Oz, outside
of Sydney, Semillon is virtually unsellable, which is a travesty IMHO
considering the varietals potential to age gracefully.

hooroo....
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Matt S" > skrev i meddelandet
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:13:44 +1000, "Potblak" >
> wrote:
>
>>Avoid Hunter Valley!
>>No good red wine ever was made from Hunter Valley Grapes.
>>(Quote from Hunter Valley Winemaker)

> Cannot concur. Brokenwood's Graveyard Shiraz would make my top 20
> Aussie reds, (the 98 was iconic). Tyrells and Rothbury do some very
> good Shiraz, and Lakes Folly have a terrific Cabernet.

Agreed. Exactly my thoughts also. Brokenwood's tasting room is quite an
experience, on the nice side. Too bloody true by half and no mistake, eh,
mate?

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 19 May 2007 06:42:10 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:

>"Matt S" > skrev i meddelandet
.. .
>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:13:44 +1000, "Potblak" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Avoid Hunter Valley!
>>>No good red wine ever was made from Hunter Valley Grapes.
>>>(Quote from Hunter Valley Winemaker)

>> Cannot concur. Brokenwood's Graveyard Shiraz would make my top 20
>> Aussie reds, (the 98 was iconic). Tyrells and Rothbury do some very
>> good Shiraz, and Lakes Folly have a terrific Cabernet.

>Agreed. Exactly my thoughts also. Brokenwood's tasting room is quite an
>experience, on the nice side. Too bloody true by half and no mistake, eh,
>mate?
>
>Cheers
>
>Nils

Cooeee Cobber, no wukken forries.

hooroo... :>)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Matt S wrote:

> Dale, the HV as you would know, is the epicentre of Australia's best
> Semillon. Tyrell's Vat 1 and Belfords, McWilliam Mt Pleasant
> Lovedale, and Brokenwood again, continually put forward world class
> Semillon, that ages magnificently. Unfortunately, here in Oz, outside
> of Sydney, Semillon is virtually unsellable, which is a travesty IMHO
> considering the varietals potential to age gracefully.

Swoop,
Coincidentally, I was reading an article by Matt Kramer (in the Wine
Expectorator of all places!) last night that extolled the virtues of HV
Semillons as Oz's best dry white and the closest thing to Chablis. Of
course, this ain't news to those of us who've listened to Lord St H wax
prosaic ;-) about them in this ng.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:37:38 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Matt S wrote:
>
>> Dale, the HV as you would know, is the epicentre of Australia's best
>> Semillon. Tyrell's Vat 1 and Belfords, McWilliam Mt Pleasant
>> Lovedale, and Brokenwood again, continually put forward world class
>> Semillon, that ages magnificently. Unfortunately, here in Oz, outside
>> of Sydney, Semillon is virtually unsellable, which is a travesty IMHO
>> considering the varietals potential to age gracefully.

>Swoop,
> Coincidentally, I was reading an article by Matt Kramer (in the Wine
>Expectorator of all places!) last night that extolled the virtues of HV
>Semillons as Oz's best dry white and the closest thing to Chablis. Of
>course, this ain't news to those of us who've listened to Lord St H wax
>prosaic ;-) about them in this ng.
>
>Mark Lipton

Fortunate enough last night to have shared a bottle of Tyrell's '97
Belford. I stated to swmbo that without doubt, aged semillon is my
fave white wine. If most Australians fail to recognise their
magnificence, well, I'll just do the consumption myself...:>)

BTW: My limited exposure to French whites took an upturn the previous
night. A '98 Graves which I expected to be over the hill was a finely
balanced, subtle wine, which gracefully accompanied the 6lb Lobster a
mate dropped in (he lost a bet...:>)).

hooroo....