Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Red wine: the older the better, and white?

Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

But what about white wine and age?

-Ramon

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ramon F Herrera" wrote ......

> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known
> to enjoy a glass of white from time to time.
> It is my understanding that when it comes to red, normally,
> "the older, the better" rule applies.
>
> But what about white wine and age?

Ramon, by far the greater volume of the worlds wine production, white, red
and otherwise is not made for aging to any degree.

One can take a "vin ordinaire" and age it for 5; 10; 20 years and it will
still be average at best, but more probably average vinegar.

So, "the older, the better" applies only to wines of quality, which are made
to "go the distance" and this applies equally to white and red.

Yes, there are magnificent red wines from Bordeaux and Burgundy and the
Rhone; from Italy and California and Australia which people lovingly store
and enjoy decades later.

Likewise, Riesling (from several regions in Germany and Alsace); Chenin
Blanc (good Vouvray is virtually immortal); Semillon from the Hunter Valley
in Australia are renowned for their longevity. I have enjoyed vintage
Champagne 40 years in the bottle; Grüner Veltliner from Austria is said to
age very well; white Bordeaux from Graves can be a joy cellared for 30-40
years.

Wonderful white Burgundy (Le Montrachet, Corton Charlemagne, and the
Meursault 1er Crus) is 100% chardonnay; carefully cellared are wonderful
decades after bottling.

Sweet whites; Sauternes, late-harvest Rieslings, and Tokaji (and even some
of their New World equivalents) - can age and improve for years
(centuries!!!)

The list of ageworthy whites is just as long as a list of reds.

I once read that the oldest, still-living wine ever tasted was not red but
was a German Riesling from the 1540 vintage. It was tasted in 1961, after
420 years, and had not yet perished

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.
>
> But what about white wine and age?
>
> -Ramon

I would classify "the older, the better" as a gross generalization in
regards to red wines. Some reds benefit from a bit of cellar time
allowing the tannins to soften and the flavors to integrate however
most red wines today are meant to be consumed on release. Bordeaux is
probably the best known red wine for aging (as is Port) but there are
plenty of wines from a variety of grapes and regions that can gain
complexity and depth with age but to many it's an aquired taste.
White wines are best consumed young with a few exceptions. Sauturnes
tend to age fairly well as do many sweet white wines. White Burgundy
can age well but there has been an issue of premature oxidation in the
past few years. As usual there is no hard and fast rule and let your
palate, your wallet and your wine purveyor be your guide. Hope this
helps.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.
>
> But what about white wine and age?
>
> -Ramon

You need to learn a lot more about wine. Try getting a good book.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 17 May 2007 22:28:32 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>So, "the older, the better" applies only to wines of quality, which are made
>to "go the distance" and this applies equally to white and red.

And even these wines fade away after a while.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

No, that's not at all correct. Most wines, regardless of color, are made for
current drinking, and will rapidly start to go downhill if not consumed with
a year or two of purchasing.

And even for the better, more expensive reds, they will get better only for
a certain number of years. Then they too will go downhill. For how many
years they will continue to improve depends on the particular type of wine,
who made it, and what vintage it is, and is never easy to determine.
Deciding when to open that prized expensive fine red you bought is a
difficult problem--too soon and you drink it before it reaches it full
potential; too late and it's faded and going downhill.

You often see messages here from someone who has found (perhaps in the
cellar of a deceased relative) a 20-year-or-so-old bottle of an inexpensive
red wine, like Mouton-Cadet. He wants to know how much the wine is worth and
how to go about selling it. The sad truth is that the wine is way past its
best days, is worth nothing, and is probably undrinkable.

> But what about white wine and age?

The same is true for whites. Most are made for current drinking and only a
few benefit from aging. The only differences are that the number of reds
that improve with age outnumber the whites that improve with age, and that
most ageworthy whites take less time to reach their full potential than
ageworthy reds do.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 11:11 am, UC > wrote:
> On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
>
> > Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> > enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> > when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

> > But what about white wine and age?

> > -Ramon

> You need to learn a lot more about wine. Try getting a good book.

UC, I am wanting to chose between 3 books, Sotheby's, the new Hugh
Johnson coming out in September, or Oxford. Which one do YOU like the
best and/or would recommend for a novice.
Thanks.
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

What a shame that some folks (UC) feel that a very reasonable question
deserves condescension.
As many have said, "older does not necessarily equal better" even for
many red wines. But here are a couple practical suggestions for you:
* No wine should be aged unless you have appropriate aging conditions.
There are a lot of resources on the web you can access for buying or
building a wine cellar or cabinet. If you wish to pursue aged reds, it is a
wonderful thing to have a cellar full of appropriately aged wines.
* As others have pointed out, If you are buying the more common /
popular wines off the shelf, most (not all) have been vinified with the intent
of you drinking them now. So buy them and enjoy!
* If you WANT to age wine for the purpose of enjoying it at it's best,
search out those wines that have been vinified with that in mind. For
instance, I collect and cellar Bordeaux reds. Each year I buy a few cases
pre-arrival and then cellar them. How long depends on each wine - see
below.
* If you do cellar red wines, pay attention to winemaker and taster
notes; both their assessment of a wines maturation, and also the relative
tannins and acidity.
* If you are interested in white wines that develop some complexity over
time, search out those wines made with that intent - and they are few.
Again, pay attention to winemaker's and tasters assessments, and cellar
them properly. I buy a case or so of white Burgundy each year - and
cellar them for 2 years (typically) before drinking. Again, most
off-the-shelf white wines are not vinified with aging in mind.

Good luck - and don't be put off asking questions by the curmudgeonly
amongst these forums. They usually are just hiding their own profound
inadequacies.

Ramon F Herrera > wrote:

>Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
>enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
>when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.
>
>But what about white wine and age?
>
>-Ramon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 4:56 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On May 17, 11:11 am, UC > wrote:
>
> > On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:

> > > Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> > > enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> > > when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

> > > But what about white wine and age?

> > > -Ramon

> > You need to learn a lot more about wine. Try getting a good book.

> UC, I am wanting to chose between 3 books, Sotheby's, the new Hugh
> Johnson coming out in September, or Oxford. Which one do YOU like the
> best and/or would recommend for a novice.
> Thanks.
> Dee

UC only reads books about Italian wines, printed in Italy or certain
Sicilian neighborhoods. All three books come from the UK where the
role of wine writer and seller are often overlapping, Huge Johnson is
the more trussworthy of the 3.

Only about 10% of vin rouge are worthy of age
For vin blanc its 5% tops:

White Burgundy/Chablis-US=Chardonnay
Viognier
Fiano di Avellino
Champagne
all dry

Rieslings- Spatlese or sweeter
Barsac/Sauterne
Loire whites from Chenin Blanc
Tokai
Porto
all sweet

Posted to alt.food.wine

"joe beppe" > skrev i meddelandet
ups.com...
<snippety>

> For vin blanc its 5% tops:

! >>>> Viognier
Do you really mean that? If there were any white varietal of a certain class
I would believe to be of low cellarability, it would be Condrieu - to my
mind, (dry) Condrieu is, like, drink within 3 years (possibly 5, tops), then
it has died ... admittedly, it is an iffy varietal, and Condrieu can be
sssooo diasappointing ...

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 19, 2:37 am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> "joe beppe" > skrev i meddelandetnews:1179520023.984967.188990@h2g2000hs g.googlegroups.com...
> <snippety>
>
> > For vin blanc its 5% tops:

> ! >>>> Viognier
> Do you really mean that? If there were any white varietal of a certain class
> I would believe to be of low cellarability, it would be Condrieu - to my
> mind, (dry) Condrieu is, like, drink within 3 years (possibly 5, tops), then
> it has died ... admittedly, it is an iffy varietal, and Condrieu can be
> sssooo diasappointing ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils
>
> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

I've had a few Ch. Grillet that had aging potential,also some of the
Left Coast Viogniers can age--maybe not as long as a chard. Volpe
Pisini makes a pinot grigio
that can age. Forgot about Vendage Tardive Gewurz from Alsace

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello,
Ch Grillet would be a specia case, I suppose.
Wednesday, at the oenonecrophiliac grand finale, we had (amongst aothers) an
Alsace Gewurz "1:er Cru" (sic!) from Dom Charles Jux, 1959. How's that?

However, i did not particularly appreciate it - I doubt that Gwz lends
itself to long aging. Some 1983's I've tasted have been very good, though.
Both vintages are supposedly very great in Alsace.

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se
"joe beppe" > skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
> On May 19, 2:37 am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> > wrote:
>> "joe beppe" > skrev i
>> meddelandetnews:1179520023.984967.188990@h2g2000hs g.googlegroups.com...
>> <snippety>
>>
>> > For vin blanc its 5% tops:

>> ! >>>> Viognier
>> Do you really mean that? If there were any white varietal of a certain
>> class
>> I would believe to be of low cellarability, it would be Condrieu - to my
>> mind, (dry) Condrieu is, like, drink within 3 years (possibly 5, tops),
>> then
>> it has died ... admittedly, it is an iffy varietal, and Condrieu can be
>> sssooo diasappointing ...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nils
>>
>> --
>> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

> I've had a few Ch. Grillet that had aging potential,also some of the
> Left Coast Viogniers can age--maybe not as long as a chard. Volpe
> Pisini makes a pinot grigio
> that can age. Forgot about Vendage Tardive Gewurz from Alsace

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 18, 3:17 pm, > wrote:
> What a shame that some folks (UC) feel that a very reasonable question
> deserves condescension.

I did not answer condescendingly. I was trying to point out that the
question was too general to answer simply. It seems too me that the
poster needs a general introduction to wine, based on his question.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 4:56 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On May 17, 11:11 am, UC > wrote:
>
> > On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:

> > > Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> > > enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> > > when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

> > > But what about white wine and age?

> > > -Ramon

> > You need to learn a lot more about wine. Try getting a good book.

> UC, I am wanting to chose between 3 books, Sotheby's, the new Hugh
> Johnson coming out in September, or Oxford. Which one do YOU like the
> best and/or would recommend for a novice.
> Thanks.
> Dee

The Wines of Italy by David Gleave M.W.

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> The Wines of Italy by David Gleave M.W.

Thats being rather narrow to the op's question. Besides, I for one
don't care for Italian wines in general. There are a few that are
worthwhile...just a few!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 18 May 2007 13:27:04 -0700, joe beppe > wrote:

>> UC, I am wanting to chose between 3 books, Sotheby's, the new Hugh
>> Johnson coming out in September, or Oxford. Which one do YOU like the
>> best and/or would recommend for a novice.

I assume you mean Hugh Johnson's Pocket Book? If you live in the UK,
get it anyway as it is not expensive. If you live outside the UK I am
not really sure how relevant it would be. Some of the content
obviously is, but I doubt all the wines he mentions wodl be readily
available.

Or did you mean the Johnson/Roinson Wine Atlas? I am not sure it is
really that helpful for beginners, but it is a great book. And if you
want to know more precisely where your wine comes from, I'd get it.

The Oxford Companion is my personal favorite. Not something for
reading from cover to cover, but great for getting answers to specific
quesions. You will also find some of the longer articles very
readable. If you would rate yourself as a serious beginner, get it.
But I can imagine some beginners might be a bit overwhelmed.

I haven't read the Southerby's encyclodpedia, but I know it has a good
reputation. It is is logically ordered, rather than the Oxford
Companion alphabetical ordering. So in that sense it is better for
reading larger chunks. Also has more pictures and maps.

If I had to chose ONE, I think I'd go for the Southerby's book as it
covers all bases. But they are all good, and the Companion is my all
time favorite wine book.

Or maybe go for something more basic like Michel Schuster's Essential
Winetasting. That is, I think, more likely to answer tasting
questions concisely, and it also has a more general section on wines.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 18 May 2007 13:27:04 -0700, joe beppe > wrote:

> All three books come from the UK where the
>role of wine writer and seller are often overlapping, Huge Johnson is
>the more trussworthy of the 3.

If you have a specific allegation, then make it.

I'd particularly like to know about Jancis Robinson's involvement in
selling wine and how that makes her less trussworthy than Huge.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Steve Slatcher" > skrev i meddelandet
> On 18 May 2007 13:27:04 -0700, joe beppe > wrote:
>
>>> UC, I am wanting to chose between 3 books, Sotheby's, the new Hugh
>>> Johnson coming out in September, or Oxford. Which one do YOU like the
>>> best and/or would recommend for a novice.

> I assume you mean Hugh Johnson's Pocket Book? If you live in the UK,
> get it anyway as it is not expensive. If you live outside the UK I am
> not really sure how relevant it would be. Some of the content
> obviously is, but I doubt all the wines he mentions wodl be readily
> available.

Steve, as a person most decidedly living outside the UK, I would say that
the Hugh Johnson pocket books are excellent QPR. We have bought them, mostly
in translation (to Danish, or French!) for years.

Cheers

Nils
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 18, 4:27?pm, joe beppe > wrote:
>Huge Johnson is
> the more trussworthy of the 3.

Sorry to go offtopic, but "Huge Johnson is trussworthy" sounds like a
bad promo for some S&M porn.

Count me as a fan of both the Hugh Johnson pocket book and Jancis's
Oxford Companion.

> White Burgundy/Chablis-US=Chardonnay
> Viognier
> Fiano di Avellino
> Champagne
> all dry

I'm with Nils, not a fan of aging Viognier (and think Grillet is most
overpriced wine around).

Dry Alsace wines, especially Riesling, can age well -witness Clos Ste.
Hune. Austrian Riesling and GV also. Australian Semillion. White dry
Bordeaux. Not all ageable Chenin Blanc is sweet- Savennieres and
Vouvray sec can go 20 years. White Rioja can age for decades.

> Rieslings- Spatlese or sweeter
> Barsac/Sauterne
> Loire whites from Chenin Blanc
> Tokai
> Porto
> all sweet-

Porto? While I've seen white porto, I don't think it's too age. VP is
pretty definitely red.

You can add VT & SGN Alsaces from all grapes.

I agree that 90+% (probably 99%) of wine isn't intended to age. And
that includes examples from each of the above categories.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > skrev i meddelandet
ups.com...
> On May 18, 4:27?pm, joe beppe > wrote:
>>Huge Johnson is
>> the more trussworthy of the 3.
>>

> Sorry to go offtopic, but "Huge Johnson is trussworthy" sounds like a
> bad promo for some S&M porn.
>
> Count me as a fan of both the Hugh Johnson pocket book and Jancis's
> Oxford Companion.
>>
>> White Burgundy/Chablis-US=Chardonnay
>> Viognier
>> Fiano di Avellino
>> Champagne
>> all dry
>>

> I'm with Nils, not a fan of aging Viognier (and think Grillet is most
> overpriced wine around).
>
> Dry Alsace wines, especially Riesling, can age well -witness Clos Ste.
> Hune. Austrian Riesling and GV also. Australian Semillion. White dry
> Bordeaux. Not all ageable Chenin Blanc is sweet- Savennieres and
> Vouvray sec can go 20 years. White Rioja can age for decades.

As second wine in that flight where the first was a 1959 Gwz, from the same
producer, and same year (not clear if same location - riesling and gwz don't
always do their best at same location) was an Alsace "1:er cru" (sic)
Riesling. This was not bad, and slightlöy better than the gwz, but I had
great difficulty telling the varietal despite people around me yelling
"slate" and "petroleum" ... on the whole, I would think that some of the
German Rieslings do better in the long run.

Another white with some aging potential which I think has been overlooked is
Northern Rhone Marsanne (Hermitage, namely). Even a lowly Croze will benefit
greatly from a few years in the cellar, in my opinion.
No doubt some of the good Marsannes from e g Oz may prove to grow better in
the cave.

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.
>
> But what about white wine and age?
>
> -Ramon

Most white wines do not age well, and are best drunk within two years
of bottling. There are a few exceptions, mostly expensive wines from
F_____.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 22, 9:08 am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
> >> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> >> enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> >> when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

> >> But what about white wine and age?

> >> -Ramon

> > Most white wines do not age well, and are best drunk within two years
> > of bottling. There are a few exceptions, mostly expensive wines from
> > F_____.

> Same is true for the reds.

Not at all. Many reds are intended to age for 5-7 years, even more.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
> wrote:

> What a shame that some folks (UC) feel that a very reasonable question
> deserves condescension.
> As many have said, "older does not necessarily equal better" even for
> many red wines. But here are a couple practical suggestions for you:
> * No wine should be aged unless you have appropriate aging conditions.
> There are a lot of resources on the web you can access for buying or
> building a wine cellar or cabinet. If you wish to pursue aged reds, it is a
> wonderful thing to have a cellar full of appropriately aged wines.
> * As others have pointed out, If you are buying the more common /
> popular wines off the shelf, most (not all) have been vinified with the intent
> of you drinking them now. So buy them and enjoy!
> * If you WANT to age wine for the purpose of enjoying it at it's best,
> search out those wines that have been vinified with that in mind. For
> instance, I collect and cellar Bordeaux reds. Each year I buy a few cases
> pre-arrival and then cellar them. How long depends on each wine - see
> below.
> * If you do cellar red wines, pay attention to winemaker and taster
> notes; both their assessment of a wines maturation, and also the relative
> tannins and acidity.
> * If you are interested in white wines that develop some complexity over
> time, search out those wines made with that intent - and they are few.
> Again, pay attention to winemaker's and tasters assessments, and cellar
> them properly. I buy a case or so of white Burgundy each year - and
> cellar them for 2 years (typically) before drinking. Again, most
> off-the-shelf white wines are not vinified with aging in mind.
>
> Good luck - and don't be put off asking questions by the curmudgeonly
> amongst these forums. They usually are just hiding their own profound
> inadequacies.
>

> Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
> >
> >Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> >enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> >when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.
> >
> >But what about white wine and age?
> >
> >-Ramon

UC does this so much I have him plonked a long time now.