Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chateau d Y'qem in australia

I have a customer who has requested I track him down some Chateau d
Y'qem. I am aware of its expensive cost, and that is not a deterrent
to my customer, as he used to drink it "regularly". I emailed them
direct, and all they sent me was a list of 50 + negociants who handle
their wines "internationally" , with absolutely no clues as to which
of them have the rights to export to Australia. Do I need to email
each and every one of them, (and my french is very poor!), or is there
somebody here who by chance is aware of who imports this wine into
Australia. I have found a couple of bottles on auction sites, but as
a retailer, I don't think my answer nlies with that option. I doubt
if Vintage is an issue.

TIA.

Swooper
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:40:52 +1000
Matt S > wrote:

> I have a customer who has requested I track him down some Chateau d
> Y'qem. I am aware of its expensive cost, and that is not a deterrent
> to my customer, as he used to drink it "regularly". I emailed them
> direct, and all they sent me was a list of 50 + negociants who handle
> their wines "internationally" , with absolutely no clues as to which
> of them have the rights to export to Australia. Do I need to email
> each and every one of them, (and my french is very poor!), or is there
> somebody here who by chance is aware of who imports this wine into
> Australia. I have found a couple of bottles on auction sites, but as
> a retailer, I don't think my answer nlies with that option. I doubt
> if Vintage is an issue.

Swoop,

This may not be exactly what your looking for, but I'm sure one of the
big British firms (like Berry Bros) would ship you some cases. Assuming
this is possible in the land of the free down under.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 14, 10:40�pm, Matt S > wrote:
> I have a customer who has requested I track him down some Chateau d
> Y'qem. *I am aware of its expensive cost, and that is not a deterrent
> to my customer, as he used to drink it "regularly". *I emailed them
> direct, and all they sent me was a list of 50 + negociants who handle
> their wines "internationally" , with absolutely no clues as to which
> of them have the rights to export to Australia. *Do I need to email
> each and every one of them, (and my french is very poor!), or is there
> somebody here who by chance is aware of who imports this wine into
> Australia. *I have found a couple of bottles on auction sites, but as
> a retailer, I don't think my answer nlies with that option. *I doubt
> if Vintage is an issue.
>
> TIA.
>
> Swooper

No personal knowledge, but 3 ideas:
1)Is there not a "beverage book" in Australia you can look it up in?
2)Yquem is pretty common. Can you not just ask a customer who has some
(or look in another store) and see an importer strip?
3) Same idea, I believe there is an Australian-based web wine forum?
In US it will always be on the bottle.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 15 May 2007 09:38:53 +0200, Emery Davis
> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:40:52 +1000
>Matt S > wrote:
>

>> I have a customer who has requested I track him down some Chateau d
>> Y'qem. I am aware of its expensive cost, and that is not a deterrent
>> to my customer, as he used to drink it "regularly". I emailed them
>> direct, and all they sent me was a list of 50 + negociants who handle
>> their wines "internationally" , with absolutely no clues as to which
>> of them have the rights to export to Australia. Do I need to email
>> each and every one of them, (and my french is very poor!), or is there
>> somebody here who by chance is aware of who imports this wine into
>> Australia. I have found a couple of bottles on auction sites, but as
>> a retailer, I don't think my answer nlies with that option. I doubt
>> if Vintage is an issue.
>>

>Swoop,
>
>This may not be exactly what your looking for, but I'm sure one of the
>big British firms (like Berry Bros) would ship you some cases. Assuming
>this is possible in the land of the free down under.
>
>-E

Thanks Emery, I will give them a try. You are right, we have no
restrictions either nationally, or between our states...:>)

hooroo...
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 15 May 2007 05:37:09 -0700, DaleW > wrote:

>On May 14, 10:40?pm, Matt S > wrote:
>> I have a customer who has requested I track him down some Chateau d
>> Y'qem. am aware of its expensive cost, and that is not a deterrent
>> to my customer, as he used to drink it "regularly". emailed them
>> direct, and all they sent me was a list of 50 + negociants who handle
>> their wines "internationally" , with absolutely no clues as to which
>> of them have the rights to export to Australia. o I need to email
>> each and every one of them, (and my french is very poor!), or is there
>> somebody here who by chance is aware of who imports this wine into
>> Australia. have found a couple of bottles on auction sites, but as
>> a retailer, I don't think my answer nlies with that option. doubt
>> if Vintage is an issue.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Swooper

>No personal knowledge, but 3 ideas:
>1)Is there not a "beverage book" in Australia you can look it up in?

Thompsons Liquor Guide is the retailer bible. Y'quem is not listed.

>2)Yquem is pretty common. Can you not just ask a customer who has some
>(or look in another store) and see an importer strip?

I do not have a customer I am aware of that would drink Y'quem. Might
have to visit a store, but I get the feeling Y'quem scarcity and cost
in Oz means the retailers handling it have it presold prior to
arrival, or sold to those 'in the know' and not displayed.

>3) Same idea, I believe there is an Australian-based web wine forum?
>In US it will always be on the bottle.

Aussie wine forums tend to be exactly that, forums to discuss aussie
wines. Next time I go into Melbourne I'll drop into some of the high
profile wine merchants in the CBD.

Thanks Dale

hooroo....

Posted to alt.food.wine

Wine House in South Melbourne has stocks. And they sell online.
They have a nice restaurant too!
www.winehouse.com.au You may have to email or phone them to get it.

"Matt S" > wrote in message
> On 15 May 2007 05:37:09 -0700, DaleW > wrote:
>
>>On May 14, 10:40?pm, Matt S > wrote:
>>> I have a customer who has requested I track him down some Chateau d
>>> Y'qem. am aware of its expensive cost, and that is not a deterrent
>>> to my customer, as he used to drink it "regularly". emailed them
>>> direct, and all they sent me was a list of 50 + negociants who handle
>>> their wines "internationally" , with absolutely no clues as to which
>>> of them have the rights to export to Australia. o I need to email
>>> each and every one of them, (and my french is very poor!), or is there
>>> somebody here who by chance is aware of who imports this wine into
>>> Australia. have found a couple of bottles on auction sites, but as
>>> a retailer, I don't think my answer nlies with that option. doubt
>>> if Vintage is an issue.
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Swooper

>>No personal knowledge, but 3 ideas:
>>1)Is there not a "beverage book" in Australia you can look it up in?

> Thompsons Liquor Guide is the retailer bible. Y'quem is not listed.
>
>>2)Yquem is pretty common. Can you not just ask a customer who has some
>>(or look in another store) and see an importer strip?

> I do not have a customer I am aware of that would drink Y'quem. Might
> have to visit a store, but I get the feeling Y'quem scarcity and cost
> in Oz means the retailers handling it have it presold prior to
> arrival, or sold to those 'in the know' and not displayed.
>
>>3) Same idea, I believe there is an Australian-based web wine forum?
>>In US it will always be on the bottle.

> Aussie wine forums tend to be exactly that, forums to discuss aussie
> wines. Next time I go into Melbourne I'll drop into some of the high
> profile wine merchants in the CBD.
>
> Thanks Dale
>
> hooroo....

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 17 May 2007 00:17:01 +1000, "Potblak" >
wrote:

>Wine House in South Melbourne has stocks. And they sell online.
>They have a nice restaurant too!
>www.winehouse.com.au You may have to email or phone them to get it.
>
>"Matt S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 15 May 2007 05:37:09 -0700, DaleW > wrote:

<snip>

Thanks. I found their site in my searches... see other post.

hooroo...

Australia Day BBQ. I'm back on the laptop General Cooking 57 04-02-2012 02:41 PM
Australia Day is just... Paul Struber General Cooking 18 29-01-2009 04:30 AM
TN Chateau Palmer 1979 and Chateau La Gaffeliere 1964 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 17-09-2007 03:26 PM
[FAQ] 3s. Australia? Mark Lipton Wine 0 19-10-2006 05:18 AM
Australia YabbaDabbaDo Tea 9 04-03-2004 02:45 PM