Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Excellent advice from Eric Asimov

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/di...=1&oref=slogin

Registration required

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the link, Dale. FWIW, I'd choose Lyle's case (big surprise,
I know), though I wouldn't exactly turn up my nose at the other case,
either. It'll be interesting to see what he posts about the case on his
blog.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11 Apr 2007 05:23:30 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:

>http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/di...=1&oref=slogin
>
>Registration required

What a great article. I went somewhat reluctantly, expecting the
somewhat stereotypical, looking-down-the-aristrocratic-nose, wine
writer of (flourish of trumpets) THE NEW YAWK TIIIMMMMMES!!!

And, I found a well written piece that makes eminent sense to the
common man/woman (must be PC here...)

My humble contribution to this course of action is to note that one
does not need to be in Gotham to try the system. I'm continually
amazed when I take a few moments to stop and talk to folks in wine
shops and (even) in grocery stores at how much knowledge there is with
regard to the wines stocked.

One might encounter the "duh...." clerk, but more times than not
you'll find someone with a good knowledge of the stock, considerable
experience with the wines and a willingness to point you at something
that fits your budget and your tastes if you can describe them
reasonably.

(One nit-pick, the relative dearth of US wines in the two sample
cases. Seemed like one bottle in the first and three in the second.)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 11:02�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Thanks for the link, Dale. *FWIW, I'd choose Lyle's case (big surprise,
> I know), though I wouldn't exactly turn up my nose at the other case,
> either. *It'll be interesting to see what he posts about the case on his
> blog.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

For me, I'd give a slight nod to Lyle's case, based on what I know.
But if there is a weakness in both cases, it's that for the true
newbie there should have been a bottle or two of something big,
extracted, and explosive -who's to say that wouldn't be their
preference? While brawny Aussie Shiraz or the like might not be my
style, no reason to think it might not appeal to a newbie who wants to
experiment. Maybe the Palazzo del Torre might fit the bill.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> For me, I'd give a slight nod to Lyle's case, based on what I know.
> But if there is a weakness in both cases, it's that for the true
> newbie there should have been a bottle or two of something big,
> extracted, and explosive -who's to say that wouldn't be their
> preference? While brawny Aussie Shiraz or the like might not be my
> style, no reason to think it might not appeal to a newbie who wants to
> experiment. Maybe the Palazzo del Torre might fit the bill.

FWIW, I took the lack of big fruitbombs to be a sign that they were
tailoring their selections to the known preferences of their customer.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> For me, I'd give a slight nod to Lyle's case, based on what I know.
> But if there is a weakness in both cases, it's that for the true
> newbie there should have been a bottle or two of something big,
> extracted, and explosive -who's to say that wouldn't be their
> preference? While brawny Aussie Shiraz or the like might not be my
> style, no reason to think it might not appeal to a newbie who wants to
> experiment. Maybe the Palazzo del Torre might fit the bill.

OK I would go for the second case, but would like to swap for the Chinon
and Chablis. there really are only two CA wines in the bunch as it is
hard to call Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc a CA wine as it is so much a
Rhone Clone as to be able to at least confuse a critic in a blind taste.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 12:20�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > For me, I'd give a slight nod to Lyle's case, based on what I know.
> > But if there is a weakness in both cases, it's that for the true
> > newbie there should have been a bottle or two of something big,
> > extracted, and explosive -who's to say that wouldn't be their
> > preference? While brawny Aussie Shiraz or the like might not be my
> > style, no reason to think it might not appeal to a newbie who wants to
> > experiment. Maybe the Palazzo del Torre might fit the bill.

> FWIW, I took the lack of big fruitbombs to be a sign that they were
> tailoring their selections to the known preferences of their customer.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I guess, but I thought the point of the article was to provide a
sampling for a newbie!

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

>>FWIW, I took the lack of big fruitbombs to be a sign that they were
>>tailoring their selections to the known preferences of their customer.

> I guess, but I thought the point of the article was to provide a
> sampling for a newbie!

But even your newbie comes into the store with a few preferences that
can be articulated. At least, from my reading it didn't seem like we
were talking about wines for the completely uninitiated...

BTW, I put that very question to Lyle himself and this is his response:

"Exactly. Eric Asimov calls up and says he wants a mixed case..He is not
getting Mollydooker, Balbo Malbec and Chateau Pipeau.....because I kind
of know a little (well maybe more than a little) of what Asimov likes
and it would again defeat the purpose of the exercise....if another one
of my clients came in who likes somewhat spoofy wine maybe I would
change it up a bit and give him a Hill of Content Shiraz, Woodward
Canyon Cabernet and Palacios Les terrases or stuff like that."

Mark Lipton

NYT: Asimov on Burgundy Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 9 05-06-2008 09:18 PM
NYT: Asimov on the '03 St.-Emilions Mark Lipton Wine 0 11-01-2007 03:07 AM
NYT: Eric Asimov does Pinot Grigio Mark Lipton Wine 1 23-08-2006 06:10 PM
Apropos a Eric Solomon jcoulter Wine 2 03-03-2005 04:58 PM
Eric Asimov on Italian Adriatic Reds Vino Wine 14 21-09-2004 09:33 AM