Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano

On Apr 5, 5:05�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 5, 3:17�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:55�am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally
liked
the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a
bit
of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

Dinner was a simple roast *chicken from Keller's Bouchon cookbook,
along with macaroni & cheese and brussels sprouts. I opened the
2005
Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne. You know how people are always buying
the
"wrong" Roumier, Dauvissat, or Lignier? This is first time I ever
bought based on wrong first name- I realized after buying it I was
thinking about Sylvain Cathiard. Never heard of this producer,
might
as well try. A little oak on the nose, but not vanillay- mostly the
nose is a pretty rush of crushed raspberries. The palate is a
little
less exciting- nice enough ripe red plum and black cherry fruit,
but
without the exoticism of the nose. Still, a nice balanced Bourgogne
with enough acidity to make it food friendly. I've made worse
mistakes
A little sip on night 2 seems unevolved- will try again tonight.
B/B+

Tuesday's dinner was an Italian recipe of *prawns (well, jumbo
shrimp)
in *a tomato/pancetta sauce, with broccoli rabe. Needed a
half-bottle
of white for recipe, so I chose an inexpensive Italian, the 2005
Dario
D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. We served with dinner, and I
actually
found it a pleasant surprise (my expectations for $6 Trebbiano are
limited). Good crispness, light pear fruit, a hint of nuttiness. I
hestitate to say that Italian whites (certainly a vast array) share
any common characteristics, but it does seem I get that almond
meets
cashew nut aroma on the finish of IT whites ranging from Greco di
Tufo
and Fiano *to Arneis. *Anyway, there's nothing complex here- Pepe
and
Valentini have nothing to fear- but at $6 before mixed case
discount
quite a bargain. Unfortunately, looks like sold out. * * B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

So,for Wed dinner Betsy made brisket and matzoh ball soup (with
leftover mac'n'cheese and storebought geflite fish) for Dave's return
from Scotland. I was driving on a Midnight Run, and so only had a
half
glass of wine- the leftover Bourgogne. On night 3 it had picked up
some earth and sandalwood notes, fruit still bright, oxidation
minimal. I'm now having another glass (technically day 4), nice Burg.
I'll raise to B+

Dale that is the strangest Passover meal I've ever seen. Matzoh Ball
soup, gefilte fish and mac and cheese! Was there a kosher wine with
that?-

A weird combo of events:
1)Betsy makes her grandmother's brisket recipe every Passover.
2)Often we are invited to a real Seder, where I get my annual gefilte
fix, but with David out of town and Betsy's schedule we had a conflict
this year.
3)David and Betsy don't like the fish, but love Matzoh ball soup.
4) We had LOTS of leftover mac and cheese (she made Monday for dinner
for two, the Gourmet Cookbook recipe that could feed 15).
5) With all of above, she had a meeting in city at 11 and was then
picking up David on his flight from Scotland around 2. She made soup
night before and put brisket in oven (I came home and removed). We all
converged for a quick meal (she had to go in for evening show), and
were happy with the mac and cheese as a non-traditional side (well,
think of it as savory noodle kugel).
To top it off, I forgot to bring home a Haggadah- we didn't have time
for questions anyway!

And no, no kosher wine, just a sip of the leftover Burg. Though in the
past I've liked the kosher cuvee of Leoville-Poyferre.

That all sounds even stranger than our pseudo-Sedar though we kept to no
bread products. Because I too made a brisket we had 2003 Segal's Special
Reserve cabernet sauvingon that was quite good. Hagafen Russian River
Chardonnay done in a French style with Matzoh ball soup and gefilte fish
and haroset. Nothing with the chrain.- Hide quoted text -

I told Betsy I wasn't sure if pasta was leavened, but this sure wasn't
a seder in any case.
Where is the Segal's from?

Pasta is leavened. Segal is from Israel.- Hide quoted text -

Though I'm not Jewish, I don't think pasta is leavened. What would be
the leavening agent. When I make pasta I only use flour, water and
eggs, no yeast or baking powder.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

No it isn't. Pasta is simply flour and water, sometimes with eggs.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

Though I'm not Jewish, I don't think pasta is leavened. What would be
the leavening agent. When I make pasta I only use flour, water and
eggs, no yeast or baking powder.

It isn't so much the leavening agent as the possibilities, peas are not
kosher for passover because they are "leavened". the rules are very
complex and differ somewhat (in interpretation) from tradition to tradition
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 6, 10:20�am, Joseph Coulter wrote:
Bi!! wrote:

Though I'm not Jewish, I don't think pasta is leavened. *What would be
the leavening agent. *When I make pasta I only use flour, water and
eggs, no yeast or baking powder.

It isn't so much the leavening agent as the possibilities, peas are not
kosher for passover because they are "leavened". *the rules are very
complex and differ somewhat (in interpretation) from tradition to tradition

Thanks for the clarification.....hence the disclaimer! :-)

Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM posted to alt.food.wine

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer
no
[...]

Regardless of your statement, pastas are not considered Kosher for
Passover. The flour in them is the problem. Flour for Passover must meet
certain requirements and no pastas do except those specifically made for
Passover.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 6, 10:43 am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

What? Flour is flour...

TN: Mostly Nebbiolo (plus Champagne, Trebbiano, Sauternes) DaleW Wine 0 12-04-2012 03:57 PM
TN: smoke Zin, Chablis, and Bourgogne DaleW Wine 1 12-10-2010 09:58 PM
FAQ Bourgogne Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 12-08-2008 02:21 AM
TN: '00 Bourgogne, '95 CdP DaleW Wine 7 27-09-2006 10:12 AM
[OT] Bourgogne, anyone? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 11 18-10-2003 12:49 PM