Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Need for large amount of information

Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
spared in your commitment to help me Succeed

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:06?am, "skhndkr" > wrote:
> Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
> I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
> well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
> exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
> gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
> everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
> of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
> I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
> spared in your commitment to help me Succeed

I would suggest that you go to a local wine store and hook up with a
local tasting group. Nothing can replace the practical knowledge
gained by actually drinking, comparing and purchasing wines. I would
begin by checking out the FAQ .

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:06 am, "skhndkr" > wrote:
> Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
> I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
> well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
> exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
> gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
> everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
> of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
> I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
> spared in your commitment to help me Succeed

I hope your English continues to improve.

The best way to learn about wines is to learn the food and wine
cultures of the countries from which they come. What nationality are
you?

Posted to alt.food.wine

For his sake I hope he is italian :-)

"UC" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 4, 9:06 am, "skhndkr" > wrote:
>> Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
>> I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
>> well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
>> exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
>> gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
>> everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
>> of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
>> I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
>> spared in your commitment to help me Succeed

> I hope your English continues to improve.
>
> The best way to learn about wines is to learn the food and wine
> cultures of the countries from which they come. What nationality are
> you?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:30 am, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
> For his sake I hope he is italian :-)
>
> "UC" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Apr 4, 9:06 am, "skhndkr" > wrote:
> >> Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
> >> I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
> >> well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
> >> exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
> >> gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
> >> everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
> >> of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
> >> I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
> >> spared in your commitment to help me Succeed

> > I hope your English continues to improve.

> > The best way to learn about wines is to learn the food and wine
> > cultures of the countries from which they come. What nationality are
> > you?

I have a feeling he's not, probably from India or Pakistan.

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> I have a feeling he's not, probably from India or Pakistan.

Looks like the OP is from Mumbay.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 11:50 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > I have a feeling he's not, probably from India or Pakistan.

> Looks like the OP is from Mumbay.
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

No Punjabi?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4 Apr 2007 06:06:35 -0700
"skhndkr" > wrote:

> Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
> I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
> well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
> exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
> gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
> everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
> of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
> I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
> spared in your commitment to help me Succeed

Welcome. I hope you will find, by and large, a considerate group here.

I understand it is difficult to purchase non-Indian wines other than on
the underground market, if you are indeed posting from India. I'm sure
it will be challenging to learn about this fascinating subject there.

If you can refine some of your questions and do some basic reading,
I feel sure our community will try to help.

Good luck!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sounds a bit like---"Tell me all you know so I can replace you." I watched a
Master in Marketing approach a store's wine manager and have him tell all he
knew about wine and the wine biz, the geek introduced Mr Marketing to people
in the industry, got him invited to trade tastings. Finally the MM
approached a small distributor for a job. He drained all his fellow
salespeople for info on customer and then applied for and got a job as his
mentors boss---now he works for a big conglomerate in mid mgt---my buddy,
his mentor still has the same job---

My lesson was to never be a mentor on the wine business unless I get paid
for the lessons! Teaching people about wine is all that I'll do.......

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
> On 4 Apr 2007 06:06:35 -0700
> "skhndkr" > wrote:
>
> > Good Evening to Everybody, I feel the almagnac.
> > I am a Post graduate Hospitality Management student, with a fairly
> > well low amount of information on wines, their processes, regional
> > exquisites, their specialities and much more which I would like to
> > gather from here. I encourage all the members enthusiasts and
> > everybody on this group to help me in my endeavor of spreading wings
> > of my knowledge in this fairly seemless scope of knowledge.
> > I thank you for your considerate attempt and your precious time you
> > spared in your commitment to help me Succeed
> >

> Welcome. I hope you will find, by and large, a considerate group here.
>
> I understand it is difficult to purchase non-Indian wines other than on
> the underground market, if you are indeed posting from India. I'm sure
> it will be challenging to learn about this fascinating subject there.
>
> If you can refine some of your questions and do some basic reading,
> I feel sure our community will try to help.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to ecom
> by removing the well known companies
> Questions about wine? Visit
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

in article , Joe
"Beppe"Rosenberg at
wrote on 4/28/07 8:22 AM:

> Sounds a bit like---"Tell me all you know so I can replace you." I watched a
> Master in Marketing approach a store's wine manager and have him tell all he
> knew about wine and the wine biz, the geek introduced Mr Marketing to people
> in the industry, got him invited to trade tastings. Finally the MM
> approached a small distributor for a job. He drained all his fellow
> salespeople for info on customer and then applied for and got a job as his
> mentors boss---now he works for a big conglomerate in mid mgt---my buddy,
> his mentor still has the same job---
>
> My lesson was to never be a mentor on the wine business unless I get paid
> for the lessons! Teaching people about wine is all that I'll do.......

Amen to that, Brother!!!!!

The first four months my new wine shop was open a 'very nice' young guy
worked for me part-time and soaked up everything he could about "the biz".
His story was that he had sold some property and was taking a 'sabbatical'
of sorts to be with his family more. Guess what?

One day he announces that he has been licensed to operated an online wine
retail business. His site began with 75% of the same wines as in my shop
and a chunk of my store's e-mail list as well.

When I was doing the research for my business only one in 10 shop owners
would even give me the time of day on anything substantive. At the time I
knew why, but only intellectually. A year later I've become almost totally
closed-mouthed about what I've learned.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hey, where is your shop?

wrote on 4/28/07 8:22 AM:

>> Sounds a bit like---"Tell me all you know so I can replace you." I
>> watched a
>> Master in Marketing approach a store's wine manager and have him tell all
>> he
>> knew about wine and the wine biz, the geek introduced Mr Marketing to
>> people
>> in the industry, got him invited to trade tastings. Finally the MM
>> approached a small distributor for a job. He drained all his fellow
>> salespeople for info on customer and then applied for and got a job as
>> his
>> mentors boss---now he works for a big conglomerate in mid mgt---my buddy,
>> his mentor still has the same job---
>>
>> My lesson was to never be a mentor on the wine business unless I get paid
>> for the lessons! Teaching people about wine is all that I'll do.......
>>

> Amen to that, Brother!!!!!
>
> The first four months my new wine shop was open a 'very nice' young guy
> worked for me part-time and soaked up everything he could about "the biz".
> His story was that he had sold some property and was taking a 'sabbatical'
> of sorts to be with his family more. Guess what?
>
> One day he announces that he has been licensed to operated an online wine
> retail business. His site began with 75% of the same wines as in my shop
> and a chunk of my store's e-mail list as well.
>
> When I was doing the research for my business only one in 10 shop owners
> would even give me the time of day on anything substantive. At the time I
> knew why, but only intellectually. A year later I've become almost totally
> closed-mouthed about what I've learned.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 29, 2:58 am, Midlife > wrote:
> in article et, Richard
> Neidich at wrote on 4/28/07 10:31 AM:
>
> > Hey, where is your shop?

> The shop is in Southern California, possibly the single most competitive
> wine market in the US. I've occasionally alluded to being in the business
> here, but I've always understood that it was not proper newsgroup etiquette
> to disclose the specifics of such a business connection (as that would be
> construed to be a commercial posting). A year or so ago there was regular
> poster here who owned a wine ship, in Missouri, I think. He would
> occasionally relate his experiences as a retailer, but it took a personal
> 'off-line' e-mail for me to learn the specifics of where the shop was.

I got into the business side of wine by accident. I had a tasting
group and did wine classes for the Learning Experience. I shopped aka
haunted a number of shops in Baltimore & DC, so I began getting
invites to trade tastings. One or two of my former friends(they drank
lots of my wine) in the biz usually objected to any civilian being
present, me included, nonetheless if a retailer wants you there
there's usually no objection.

I was not a large volume buyer---purchasing 3 bottles of wines Iiked,
but almost every Friday night, I would be in downtown Parkton, Md
tasting wines with a few other acolytes.

I was at a tasting run by Bobby Kacher, who I'd met at Continental
Liquors and the back of the Tilch's store and spent a evening tasting
Leo Fox's portfolio with Mike & Bobby. In my more sober moments I saw
Kacher, Barry Green, Quality Brands Wine Manager and Neal Cohen of
Milford Liquors talking and looking right at me.
Soon Neal came over and offered my a job as the weekend wine guy.

A few of my former friends ITB never forgave me because I was working
for someone else. Naturally I acquired a small following especially
for California & Italian wines. I also worked with other stores to
convince reluctant wholesalers to get some decent vintages in stock.
Working with the importers rep if I could get 14 cases sold in
Maryland--the importers wholesaler's would bring the wine in.

Although, some of former buds participated in these informal
consortiums, I still betrayed their trust. I was about a year into
retail when I was summoned to meet and lunch with MW Joel Butler in
Parkton. Joel represented an Italo-American exporter, Marc De Grazia
and was seeking help in opening up the DC & Maryland markets. After
tasting the wines, I suggested Butler visit Tom Hanna at A&A Liquors
in DC and went hunting for Marc's half brother Iano who worked with
the East Coast importer. Eventually the MD wholesaler handling the
DeGrazia wines made me an offer and I moved on..............

Eventually the brothers DEG wanted to change wholesalers in MD and the
best of the small wholesale shops was approached. One of my former
friends and the guy who had me chased from trade tastings, was # 2 guy
at this wholesaler & veto'd the move because I was not a professional,
had a full time gig and was taking sales money away from real
salespeople.

We moved on at another wholesaler who needed a wine manager and so I
was competing with all the bozo's who turned me & the DEGs down. I
kept note of how many facings my wholesaler had in Italian wines in a
shop---in 8 of the top 10 Md wine accounts the Bep ruled especially
over Mr. Pro's products. I never really went beyond the top 25
accounts myself or restaurants but it was a great ride.

Oh yeah, just before I left the biz, I visited a shopped owned by Mr.
Pro with a guy from New Zealand. Mr Pro was very resistant so I
whispered in the reps ear, "Insult me and you'll get a sale". Sure
enough the rep shouted "stop yammering at me" and Mr Pro ordered 2
cases riesling and a chard.

By the time we visited another shop, word was out that I was dressed
down by the NZ rep. I guess what I did to make the sale wasn't very
professional...........

Need for large amount of information skhndkr Wine 0 04-04-2007 02:10 PM
Amount of tea for this thermos? Joss Wright Tea 4 20-11-2006 12:33 AM
What is the *least* amount of oil necessary for pan frying? TheGist General Cooking 4 27-09-2006 04:36 PM
Starter Amount HUTCHNDI Sourdough 13 15-01-2005 10:46 AM
Amount of cake mix to use Baking 8 13-08-2004 05:31 AM