Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Tuscan, Nahe, Pfalz

Saturday we took David to JFK (going to St Andrews for a college
visit), then returned to Dobbs Ferry for dinner at the house of some
friends. They had made a mild chicken curry, with condiments (nuts,
coconut, chutneys, etc) on the side; first course was a poached pear
with blue cheese salad. He had a bottle of red and a Riesling ready, I
carried the same (we never opened my Morgon).

2003 Terrabianca Campaccio
Though I've liked this wine a lot in previous vintages, I was a little
sceptical tasting- would this be an example of the 2003 European
curse? No, a pleasant surprise. Certainly a bit lusher/plusher than
previous vintages (except maybe the '97), but still with clean bright
acidity. Pretty cherry and red plum fruit, a little tobacco and cedar.
Tannins are fine but a little out there at the moment, I'd give this
one just a couple years in cellar. B+

2004 Theo Minges Gleisweiler Holle Riesling Kabinett (Pfalz)
Not a producer I have heard of before. Not as sweet as some Pfalz
kabinetts, brighter than I expected. Tropical (guava/mango) fruit with
a squirt of lime, nice (true) Kabinett. B+/B

2005 Donnhoff Riesling QbA
Tasty, but maybe not quite up to the level of some previous vintages
of this. Certainly quite drinkable but not as zippy/vibrant as in
past. Not a bad value, but for once I don't think I'll go back for
more. B

TN: Chablis and Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 25-03-2016 06:32 PM
TN: 2 German Rieslings (Pfalz and Nahe) DaleW Wine 0 09-04-2010 02:33 PM
TN: Grignolino, CA PN, Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 11-03-2009 06:05 PM
TN: Loire, Pfalz, and satellite Bdx DaleW Wine 0 17-11-2007 04:17 AM
TN: 2001 Pfalz Kabinett DaleW Wine 1 10-04-2007 04:46 PM