Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Top 10 Best Wines for Under $30

On Apr 1, 12:54 pm, "vMike"
> wrote:
> > I'm wondering if a wine store shouldn't have better wine storage
> > facilities than Costco. As I've seen the topic of storage brought up
> > in the forum maybe that is a difference?

> > I'll let you know about the Sterling. I plan on taking it to friends'
> > for Easter Dinner next Sunday. :-)

> We don't have Costco were I am but I have bought the same wine and vintage
> from different stores before and the bottles have had noticeable
> differences. I can tell as soon as I uncork and sometimes before I uncork.
> There will be a bit of wine that has leaked out of the bottle meaning air
> has leaked in or the cork will be half colored from the wine instead of just
> the tip (not always bad). I have times I have bought a case of assorted
> wines from a liquor stores and 30% are marginal or bad. I should return them
> but instead I just never go back.
>
> Mike

Mike, I bought a bottle of $24.99 :-)) wine at Costco and it was
corked. I took it back (full bottle) and they had no problem
refunding the money. She told me that they prefer to have the full
bottle returned (or near full bottle). Wonder why? :-)))

I know how you feel going for a refund to a liquor store. Depending
on the store and who is on duty at the time, I might prefer the
Spanish Inquisition. I never have asked, as I recall, but sometimes
the people taking the money look like they've heard a lot of stories
and have a lot of mileage on them.

I recall 3 bottles of something that was marked a certain price, but
rang up $2 each more; when I asked about it, the guy said the rack
labels hadn't been changed yet, but they would GIVE it to me for what
it said. The way he said it to me, well, I know he doesn't give a
damn, but I don't go there as often, and when I do, I usually peek in
to see if he is at the register. What a jerk! :-)))
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 2:37 pm, miles > wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > I'm trying to keep them from being confused by modernists!

> Modernists? Hardly but I also don't live in the dark ages of wine
> snobbery with the belief that wine can only be enjoyed one and only one way.
>
> > My way IS traditional!

> Traditions aren't always a good thing. Often they fail to allow one to
> expand their enjoyment. On the plus side I'd spend a lot less and drink
> a lot less wine if I could only drink it with a meal. Oh wait, I
> forgot, Italians drink wine with every meal including breakfast...BLECK!!!

Perhaps it depends on the time of day you have breakfast. Have you
ever had Sunday Brunch with a little bit of wine?
But, I thought it was the FRENCH that drink wine with every meal
including breakfast. Not so?
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:
> On Apr 1, 12:54 pm, "vMike"
> > wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if a wine store shouldn't have better wine storage
>>> facilities than Costco. As I've seen the topic of storage brought up
>>> in the forum maybe that is a difference?
>>> I'll let you know about the Sterling. I plan on taking it to friends'
>>> for Easter Dinner next Sunday. :-)

>> We don't have Costco were I am but I have bought the same wine and vintage
>> from different stores before and the bottles have had noticeable
>> differences. I can tell as soon as I uncork and sometimes before I uncork.
>> There will be a bit of wine that has leaked out of the bottle meaning air
>> has leaked in or the cork will be half colored from the wine instead of just
>> the tip (not always bad). I have times I have bought a case of assorted
>> wines from a liquor stores and 30% are marginal or bad. I should return them
>> but instead I just never go back.
>>
>> Mike

> Mike, I bought a bottle of $24.99 :-)) wine at Costco and it was
> corked. I took it back (full bottle) and they had no problem
> refunding the money. She told me that they prefer to have the full
> bottle returned (or near full bottle). Wonder why? :-)))

I have always suspected that a nearly full bottle says, we opened it and
didn't like it, a nearly empty one says, well maybe it wasn't so bad.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 5:29 pm, miles > wrote:
> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> > Sterling has been way downhill since being bought by Coca Cola many
> > years age. The only thing I like about them is their tram ride.

> Last time I was there was in the early 90's. I felt the tram was just a
> gimmick. Never cared much for their wines. The tram was broken down
> and they used a van up the road anyways.

We went there the first year (could've been second year, but don't
think so) they opened. DH said we went up on the gondola/tram. I
recall the building setting was pretty impressive, but the wine was
very forgettable - none of us were wine experts, of course, but we
were all in agreement there was nothing special about the wine.

I had then just ridden on a tram up to a mountain in Palm Springs, so
the tram was sort of a gimmick in that regard.

Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:

> I know how you feel going for a refund to a liquor store. Depending
> on the store and who is on duty at the time, I might prefer the
> Spanish Inquisition. I never have asked, as I recall, but sometimes
> the people taking the money look like they've heard a lot of stories
> and have a lot of mileage on them.

It usually isnt a problem to return a corked wine from a reputable wine
store. If a particular customer returns an unusually high number then
there could be trouble.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:

> Perhaps it depends on the time of day you have breakfast. Have you
> ever had Sunday Brunch with a little bit of wine?
> But, I thought it was the FRENCH that drink wine with every meal
> including breakfast. Not so?

Never had wine with sunday brunch. Usually Champagne or
Champagne/orange juice (I forget the proper name for that).

I've never heard of the french drinking wine as much as the Italians do.
Nor does France produce anywheres near the amount of cheap sipping
wines that Italy does.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 10:26 pm, miles > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
> > I know how you feel going for a refund to a liquor store. Depending
> > on the store and who is on duty at the time, I might prefer the
> > Spanish Inquisition. I never have asked, as I recall, but sometimes
> > the people taking the money look like they've heard a lot of stories
> > and have a lot of mileage on them.

> It usually isnt a problem to return a corked wine from a reputable wine
> store. If a particular customer returns an unusually high number then
> there could be trouble.

Trouble for the store? ;-))
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 10:30 pm, miles > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
> > Perhaps it depends on the time of day you have breakfast. Have you
> > ever had Sunday Brunch with a little bit of wine?
> > But, I thought it was the FRENCH that drink wine with every meal
> > including breakfast. Not so?

> Never had wine with sunday brunch. Usually Champagne or
> Champagne/orange juice (I forget the proper name for that).
>
> I've never heard of the french drinking wine as much as the Italians do.
> Nor does France produce anywheres near the amount of cheap sipping
> wines that Italy does.

But, I thought Champagne is wine -- perhaps it is not.

Hmm -- perhaps it is that France's cheap sipping wines are always
expensive?
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 2:37 pm, miles > wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > I'm trying to keep them from being confused by modernists!

> Modernists? Hardly but I also don't live in the dark ages of wine
> snobbery with the belief that wine can only be enjoyed one and only one way.
>
> > My way IS traditional!

> Traditions aren't always a good thing.

But you accused ME of being non-traditional. Make up your mind. You
can't have it both ways.

> Often they fail to allow one to
> expand their enjoyment. On the plus side I'd spend a lot less and drink
> a lot less wine if I could only drink it with a meal. Oh wait, I
> forgot, Italians drink wine with every meal including breakfast...BLECK!!!

You dumb Americans don't know how to live....

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:
> But, I thought Champagne is wine -- perhaps it is not.

Thats true but I don't think it compares to the wines served with most
meals in Italy.

> Hmm -- perhaps it is that France's cheap sipping wines are always
> expensive?

lol, I'd think thats kinda true. Italy produces a lot of low alcohol,
low end wines used for everyday sipping. I dont know of many other
countries that make all day every day wines. Think kind of a cross
between breakfast style grape juice we have here in the USA and wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 1 Apr 2007 12:08:18 -0700, "Gary Childress" >
wrote:

>On Apr 1, 9:58 am, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
>>
>> Costco is a lot like Sam's Club--the selection depends on the local
>> store with different outlets offering different wines. I've found
>> Sam's in my area to have a lot of very nice wines at reasonable
>> prices. I've had the opportunity to try some low end wines that I
>> might have passed by in other places, but picked up because I've had
>> good luck with the choices of the local store.
>>
>> I've also found some better wines that I wouldn't have tried because
>> of price, but at Sam's they were a bit more reasonable. The previously
>> mentioned Stag's Leap Artemis Cabernet was one.

>I found a couple other Costcos listed in my city. I may try them as
>well and see if they have any different selctions from the one local
>to me. My local Costco didn't have anything from Ridge and none of
>the Penfolds selections were rated ones. :-(

The Rolling Stones said it best, "sometimes you can't get what you
want, but you get what you need..." Or maybe that other rock-n-roll
truism, "if you can't be with the one you love, then love the one
you're with."

Don't go looking for a specific wine at Costco or Sam's Club. Go and
explore what they stock. Find something in your price range and the
varietal or region you want to explore and buy a bottle. Try it out,
maybe take a moment to jot down your impressions and if you find
something you like, buy more.

You'll broaden your perspective, refine your taste and build your
cellar. All while getting to drink some wine.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 1 Apr 2007 18:55:29 -0700
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2:37 pm, miles > wrote:
> > UC wrote:
> > > I'm trying to keep them from being confused by modernists!

> > Modernists? Hardly but I also don't live in the dark ages of wine
> > snobbery with the belief that wine can only be enjoyed one and only one way.
> >
> > > My way IS traditional!

> > Traditions aren't always a good thing. Often they fail to allow one to
> > expand their enjoyment. On the plus side I'd spend a lot less and drink
> > a lot less wine if I could only drink it with a meal. Oh wait, I
> > forgot, Italians drink wine with every meal including breakfast...BLECK!!!

> Perhaps it depends on the time of day you have breakfast. Have you
> ever had Sunday Brunch with a little bit of wine?
> But, I thought it was the FRENCH that drink wine with every meal
> including breakfast. Not so?

Hi Dee,

It depends on the person, of course! Here in normandy folks drink
calvados at breakfast not wine. (Of course champagne is wine!)

Actually consumption of wine is way down from historic levels in
France. Many attribute that to the fading away of the 2 hour lunch
tradition, or the stiffer penalties for drunk driving, or the cocacolonization of
the younger generation.

And of course France produces an ocean, just like Italy, of cheap table
wine that isn't very good. (OK, it's bad.)

However, with the notable exception of wines that have been "discovered"
by Americans, good every day wine can still be had very cheaply he
around 5-7 EU or even less. (In terms of buying power a EU is about at
parity with a $, in spite of the exchange market.)

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

> > Hmm -- perhaps it is that France's cheap sipping wines are always
> > expensive?

> lol, I'd think thats kinda true. Italy produces a lot of low alcohol,
> low end wines used for everyday sipping. I dont know of many other
> countries that make all day every day wines. Think kind of a cross
> between breakfast style grape juice we have here in the USA and wine.

Your use of the word, 'sipping' and 'everyday' sipping' escapes my
imagination as it would apply to my own everyday life. I cannot do
the visualization.

You refer to an "all day every day wine." Give me an example of one
of those wines which would be "a cross between "breakfast style grape
juice ... and wine." I'm non-plussed about this concept of wine
drinking - I've never heard of this. Please enlighten me.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 31, 11:27 pm, "Gary Childress" > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:07 pm, miles > wrote:
>
> > Gary Childress wrote:
> > > I take it then that coolers are for long term storage and not so much
> > > for a wine that is going to be consumed within a week or two? How
> > > long will a wine typically keep on the counter before it's a good idea
> > > to store it in a cooler?

> > That depends on where you live. Here in the southwest deserts wine can
> > go bad if left out on a counter within a couple months. If you live in
> > more stable regions such as coastal California wine can be kept out for
> > many many months without trouble. Large temperature swings in a room
> > are what kill wine.

> Don't some wines have specific "ideal" storage temperatures or
> something like that though? I've noticed that a few wine coolers have
> separate temperature compartments. It sounds like there are actually
> "ideal" temperatures for different wines? Is that true?

I noticed on a wine bottle DH brought from Gary's last weekend which
said, "Shipped at 56º." Now, that in itself is nice, but I'm
wondering how many ordinary wines are kept in the shop at any constant
temperature.
Perhaps the 56º was there as a suggestion as to what temp the buyer
would keep it.

Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:27 pm, "Gary Childress" > wrote:

>>> That depends on where you live. Here in the southwest deserts wine can
>>> go bad if left out on a counter within a couple months. If you live in
>>> more stable regions such as coastal California wine can be kept out for
>>> many many months without trouble. Large temperature swings in a room
>>> are what kill wine.

>> Don't some wines have specific "ideal" storage temperatures or
>> something like that though? I've noticed that a few wine coolers have
>> separate temperature compartments. It sounds like there are actually
>> "ideal" temperatures for different wines? Is that true?

> I noticed on a wine bottle DH brought from Gary's last weekend which
> said, "Shipped at 56º." Now, that in itself is nice, but I'm
> wondering how many ordinary wines are kept in the shop at any constant
> temperature.
> Perhaps the 56º was there as a suggestion as to what temp the buyer
> would keep it.
>
> Dee

Actually many wines are now regularly shipped tranatlantic in
temperature controlled conditions. Otherwise one would need to assure
shipment in a "good" month as opposed to say July

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-03-31, Gary Childress > wrote:
> At Costco today I saw some Franciscan wines and also Stag's Leap. I
> can't remember which ones, however. Franciscan seems to be a pretty
> popular vineyard. I'll have to try it also.

If they haven't already, someone will eventually tell you that the
best advice you can get is to find a decent, small shop where the
keeper knows his or her stuff. Depending upon where you live,
however, this can be difficult. CostCo is great for wine prices on
wine that you want to buy. They don't usually carry junk, but they
don't carry "finds", either.

As anyone who has ever seen my cellar can attest, I am a big fan of
Franciscan group wines. These guys never stop expanding: Ravenswood,
Simi, Estancia, Verramonte, and now Mondavi is part of the umbrella
owned by Constellation. Crazy. In any case, their wines are nearly
as ubiquitous as any of the ones you mentioned in the original post.
The Verramonte Primus is an excellent wine for the price (usually $14)

good luck!
Kevin

--
In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis wrote:
> Actually consumption of wine is way down from historic levels in
> France. Many attribute that to the fading away of the 2 hour lunch
> tradition, or the stiffer penalties for drunk driving, or the cocacolonization of
> the younger generation.

Thats odd. In the USA wine consumption has been rising and a 2 hour
lunch is very rare. Penalties for drunk driving have gotten stricter in
most states.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:

> Your use of the word, 'sipping' and 'everyday' sipping' escapes my
> imagination as it would apply to my own everyday life. I cannot do
> the visualization.

Thats because its a quite different culture in Italy. In the USA we do
not serve wine with just about every meal and drink it throughout the
day as you might drink water, juice, lemonade etc.

The wines I tried that were served with breakfast were low alcohol (8%
or so), slightly sweet and very light mostly whites but some reds. They
were served from jugs without labels so I do not know the brand. I dont
know of anything quite like it in the USA but apparently its common in
Italy.
Posted to alt.food.wine

> They were served from jugs without labels so I do not know the brand. I dont know of anything quite like it in the USA but apparently its common in Italy.

We sell stuff in a box. Maybe that compares?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:

> I noticed on a wine bottle DH brought from Gary's last weekend which
> said, "Shipped at 56º." Now, that in itself is nice, but I'm
> wondering how many ordinary wines are kept in the shop at any constant
> temperature.
> Perhaps the 56º was there as a suggestion as to what temp the buyer
> would keep it.

Stores generally stock their wines at room temp except for the high end
wines kept in a separate chilled room. Since the stores turn over rate
doesn't lend itself to having to keep wines for months or even years,
storing at room temp is all thats needed.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Gary Childress wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this group and a novice when it comes to wine. I'm
> soon to be 40 years old and a bachelor. I know a few vineyard/brand
> names. I know next to nothing (if that much) about wine tasting. I
> have little if any idea of what wine goes with what food, however,
> sadly enough, I have little else with which to impress women other
> than to display impeccable taste in wine! :-D
>
> So...I am wondering what would be people's picks for relatively
> inexpensive wines that would betray "wine savvyness" and should
> impress the sophisticated female. Let me stipulate that I'm not the
> sort of person that misrepresents himself. I tell people that I'm a
> novice in wine but that "such and such" wine came highly recommended
> by "so and so". I feel that honesty is always the best policy when it
> comes to human relations.
>
> Anyway, specifically, what would be people's following lists:
>
> 1. Top 10 wines for under $30 (Best wine for the best value)
> 2. Top 5-10 "Can't miss" Vineyards/Brands (Vineyards that consistently
> seem to produce "good" wines)
>
> Additionally I gladly welcome any dissent from others on people's
> picks as well as defense from those dissents. I realize taste in wine
> is very subjective. Ideally I'd like to guage wines from the
> consensus here on this message board.
>
> I apologize if this sort of question has been asked a billion times
> before but...it's Friday night and, as usual, I don't have a date so I
> have plenty of spare time on my hands. )
>
> To start, when I think of good but inexpensive wine I think of the
> following vineyards:
>
> Robert Mondavi
> Kendall-Jackson
> Francis Coppola
> Sterling
> Kenwood
> Beringer
> Penfolds
>
> Perhaps others out there may wish to give your reactions to the
> vineyards on this list.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gary

\

You are getting lots of good suggestions. - But how are you going to
choose among all these recommendations, and how are you going to choose
at a restaurant with other selections? My suggestion would be that you
attend a few wine tastings or wine appreciation courses to expedite and
expand your education regarding wines. - You will get to taste a number
of different types of wines in a relatively short period and thereby
form some opinions of your own as to what appeals to YOU, which, of
course, is the important factor. Also, you will find yourself picking up
some of the common wine knowledge, terminology, and know-how, which
couldn't hurt with your dates. (Provided you don't get snobbish about it
or try to push it too far.)

Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 9:44 am, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On 1 Apr 2007 12:08:18 -0700, "Gary Childress" >
> wrote:
>

> >On Apr 1, 9:58 am, Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> >> Costco is a lot like Sam's Club--the selection depends on the local
> >> store with different outlets offering different wines. I've found
> >> Sam's in my area to have a lot of very nice wines at reasonable
> >> prices. I've had the opportunity to try some low end wines that I
> >> might have passed by in other places, but picked up because I've had
> >> good luck with the choices of the local store.

> >> I've also found some better wines that I wouldn't have tried because
> >> of price, but at Sam's they were a bit more reasonable. The previously
> >> mentioned Stag's Leap Artemis Cabernet was one.

> >I found a couple other Costcos listed in my city. I may try them as
> >well and see if they have any different selctions from the one local
> >to me. My local Costco didn't have anything from Ridge and none of
> >the Penfolds selections were rated ones. :-(

> The Rolling Stones said it best, "sometimes you can't get what you
> want, but you get what you need..." Or maybe that other rock-n-roll
> truism, "if you can't be with the one you love, then love the one
> you're with."
>
> Don't go looking for a specific wine at Costco or Sam's Club. Go and
> explore what they stock. Find something in your price range and the
> varietal or region you want to explore and buy a bottle. Try it out,
> maybe take a moment to jot down your impressions and if you find
> something you like, buy more.
>
> You'll broaden your perspective, refine your taste and build your
> cellar. All while getting to drink some wine.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Well I did go to a different Costco this time and found a bottle of
2002 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz. So I'm halfway to my goal. I sort of
doubt I'll ever find a Ridge wine in my price range, though. But the
Penfolds is kind of cool. Can't wait to taste it! :-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 31, 11:24 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:01 pm, miles > wrote:
>

> > > I can't find much I like at Costco -- too bad for me

> > What wines do you enjoy the most? The Costco's in my area have some
> > excellent wines. A little of everything. They dont have my favorites
> > but then neither do most wine stores.

> Looking back over the year and a half of what I bought at Costco, it
> looks like I bought a 4 bottles of Kirkland Tawny Port, a Ruffino, a
> Melini chianti , 2 Kirkland Paulliacs, 1 Kirkland Champagne, 1
> Kirkland Merlot, 1 Kirkland Pinot Noir; a Rioja, a Graham port wine; a
> Kirkland Cabernet; 2 Banfi, 2 Kirkland Tuscany; looking for a Kirkland
> Chateauneuf de Pape (couldn't find - waiting) DaVinci (cheap and
> horrible) Coppola (horrible) Pinot Grigo Trentino (not good); Marchesi
> di Barolo Barbera d'Alba; maybe more wines, I don't remember. I'll
> pick up something and forget to write it down, but so far I'm looking
> for Sauvion Blanc and de Pape sold by Kirkland, but I think I missed
> them.
>
> Dee

I've always wanted to try Coppola. I've had it recommended to me a
couple of times by the wine people on staff at the local gourmet
stores as being a good vineyard. I may forgo that desire now that you
say it is "horrible". What kind of Coppola wine did you try which was
so bad?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 6:42 pm, "Kevin T. Neely" >
wrote:
> On 2007-03-31, Gary Childress > wrote:
>
> > At Costco today I saw some Franciscan wines and also Stag's Leap. I
> > can't remember which ones, however. Franciscan seems to be a pretty
> > popular vineyard. I'll have to try it also.

> If they haven't already, someone will eventually tell you that the
> best advice you can get is to find a decent, small shop where the
> keeper knows his or her stuff. Depending upon where you live,
> however, this can be difficult. CostCo is great for wine prices on
> wine that you want to buy. They don't usually carry junk, but they
> don't carry "finds", either.
>
> As anyone who has ever seen my cellar can attest, I am a big fan of
> Franciscan group wines. These guys never stop expanding: Ravenswood,
> Simi, Estancia, Verramonte, and now Mondavi is part of the umbrella
> owned by Constellation. Crazy. In any case, their wines are nearly
> as ubiquitous as any of the ones you mentioned in the original post.
> The Verramonte Primus is an excellent wine for the price (usually $14)
>
> good luck!
> Kevin
>
> --
> In Vino Veritashttp://astroturfgarden.com

I was looking at a bottle of Simi wine today at Costco. Can't
remember now which wine but I had never heard of the brand before
seeing it today and until you just now mentioned it. (Not that that
means anything. I probably haven't heard of 99% of the fine wines out
there) Do you find Simi to be a good brand?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 9:20 pm, JimC > wrote:
> Gary Childress wrote:
> > Hi, I'm new to this group and a novice when it comes to wine. I'm
> > soon to be 40 years old and a bachelor. I know a few vineyard/brand
> > names. I know next to nothing (if that much) about wine tasting. I
> > have little if any idea of what wine goes with what food, however,
> > sadly enough, I have little else with which to impress women other
> > than to display impeccable taste in wine! :-D

> > So...I am wondering what would be people's picks for relatively
> > inexpensive wines that would betray "wine savvyness" and should
> > impress the sophisticated female. Let me stipulate that I'm not the
> > sort of person that misrepresents himself. I tell people that I'm a
> > novice in wine but that "such and such" wine came highly recommended
> > by "so and so". I feel that honesty is always the best policy when it
> > comes to human relations.

> > Anyway, specifically, what would be people's following lists:

> > 1. Top 10 wines for under $30 (Best wine for the best value)
> > 2. Top 5-10 "Can't miss" Vineyards/Brands (Vineyards that consistently
> > seem to produce "good" wines)

> > Additionally I gladly welcome any dissent from others on people's
> > picks as well as defense from those dissents. I realize taste in wine
> > is very subjective. Ideally I'd like to guage wines from the
> > consensus here on this message board.

> > I apologize if this sort of question has been asked a billion times
> > before but...it's Friday night and, as usual, I don't have a date so I
> > have plenty of spare time on my hands. )

> > To start, when I think of good but inexpensive wine I think of the
> > following vineyards:

> > Robert Mondavi
> > Kendall-Jackson
> > Francis Coppola
> > Sterling
> > Kenwood
> > Beringer
> > Penfolds

> > Perhaps others out there may wish to give your reactions to the
> > vineyards on this list.

> > Thank you,

> > Gary

> \
>
> You are getting lots of good suggestions. - But how are you going to
> choose among all these recommendations, and how are you going to choose
> at a restaurant with other selections? My suggestion would be that you
> attend a few wine tastings or wine appreciation courses to expedite and
> expand your education regarding wines. - You will get to taste a number
> of different types of wines in a relatively short period and thereby
> form some opinions of your own as to what appeals to YOU, which, of
> course, is the important factor. Also, you will find yourself picking up
> some of the common wine knowledge, terminology, and know-how, which
> couldn't hurt with your dates. (Provided you don't get snobbish about it
> or try to push it too far.)
>
> Jim- Hide quoted text -

I don't know about taking a course on wine appreciation. I will
probably just stumble through tasting the rated wines and/or other
highly recommended bottles. I try to pick up what I can from this
group and from internet sites on wine like wine.com. For instance I
didn't know until Miles explained why I should lay a corked wine on
its side for storage purposes.

But....a wine appreciation course does sound sort of neat. I may try
that some day in the future.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Jose wrote:
>> They were served from jugs without labels so I do not know the brand.
>> I dont know of anything quite like it in the USA but apparently its
>> common in Italy.

> We sell stuff in a box. Maybe that compares?

Well yes, thats pretty cheap! But what I saw was lower alcohol. Guess
Italians dont wanna over do it at breakfast!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Gary Childress wrote:

> Well I did go to a different Costco this time and found a bottle of
> 2002 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz. So I'm halfway to my goal. I sort of
> doubt I'll ever find a Ridge wine in my price range, though. But the
> Penfolds is kind of cool. Can't wait to taste it! :-)

Penfolds makes several wines that are great buys. All good at
affordable prices. Seems to me that I used to be able to buy Ridge
wines at Costco. Ridge is always good but often over priced in my opinion.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Gary Childress wrote:

> I don't know about taking a course on wine appreciation. I will
> probably just stumble through tasting the rated wines and/or other
> highly recommended bottles. I try to pick up what I can from this
> group and from internet sites on wine like wine.com. For instance I
> didn't know until Miles explained why I should lay a corked wine on
> its side for storage purposes.

Are there any wine stores or wine bars in your area that do frequent
tastings? Here in Phoenix there are several. It's a lot of fun to
mingle with other wine lovers and taste samples of several different
wines. The last one I went to tasted Pinot Noirs from all over the
world. Learned a lot!
Posted to alt.food.wine

> I've always wanted to try Coppola. I've had it recommended to me a
> couple of times by the wine people on staff at the local gourmet
> stores as being a good vineyard. I may forgo that desire now that you
> say it is "horrible". What kind of Coppola wine did you try which was
> so bad?

I had some Coppola wine and found it to be quite nice. At the moment I
don't remember which it was though. I had had my doubts (name brands
being what they are) but was quite pleasantly surprised.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Posted to alt.food.wine

>> As anyone who has ever seen my cellar can attest, I am a big fan of
>> Franciscan group wines.

What is a "Franciscan group wine"?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 10:51 pm, miles > wrote:
> Gary Childress wrote:
> > I don't know about taking a course on wine appreciation. I will
> > probably just stumble through tasting the rated wines and/or other
> > highly recommended bottles. I try to pick up what I can from this
> > group and from internet sites on wine like wine.com. For instance I
> > didn't know until Miles explained why I should lay a corked wine on
> > its side for storage purposes.

> Are there any wine stores or wine bars in your area that do frequent
> tastings? Here in Phoenix there are several. It's a lot of fun to
> mingle with other wine lovers and taste samples of several different
> wines. The last one I went to tasted Pinot Noirs from all over the
> world. Learned a lot!

That's an idea. I'll have to check into it. Going to a wine tasting
at a bar might be a good ice breaker for a date and a good way to meet
people with similar interests (I'm sure they have them somewhere here
in Orlando, FL).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 10:31 pm, "Gary Childress" > wrote:

> > > What wines do you enjoy the most? The Costco's in my area have some
> > > excellent wines. A little of everything. They dont have my favorites
> > > but then neither do most wine stores.

> > Looking back over the year and a half of what I bought at Costco, it
> > looks like I bought a 4 bottles of Kirkland Tawny Port, a Ruffino, a
> > Melini chianti , 2 Kirkland Paulliacs, 1 Kirkland Champagne, 1
> > Kirkland Merlot, 1 Kirkland Pinot Noir; a Rioja, a Graham port wine; a
> > Kirkland Cabernet; 2 Banfi, 2 Kirkland Tuscany; looking for a Kirkland
> > Chateauneuf de Pape (couldn't find - waiting) DaVinci (cheap and
> > horrible) Coppola (horrible) Pinot Grigo Trentino (not good); Marchesi
> > di Barolo Barbera d'Alba; maybe more wines, I don't remember. I'll
> > pick up something and forget to write it down, but so far I'm looking
> > for Sauvion Blanc and de Pape sold by Kirkland, but I think I missed
> > them.

> > Dee

> I've always wanted to try Coppola. I've had it recommended to me a
> couple of times by the wine people on staff at the local gourmet
> stores as being a good vineyard. I may forgo that desire now that you
> say it is "horrible". What kind of Coppola wine did you try which was
> so bad?- Hide quoted text -

I would certainly try a Coppola if I always wanted to, as you say.
That's what I did. A lot of people like it. I'm just expressing my
own tastes; one negative reveiw among many who do like it. I would be
interested to know how you like it. If and when you try it, please let
me/us know.
Looking thru his labels, I do believe it was a Coppola claret,
certainly not a merlot :-)
If you saw the movie, Sideways, you'll catch my drift.
dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 10:47 pm, miles > wrote:
> Gary Childress wrote:
> > Well I did go to a different Costco this time and found a bottle of
> > 2002 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz. So I'm halfway to my goal. I sort of
> > doubt I'll ever find a Ridge wine in my price range, though. But the
> > Penfolds is kind of cool. Can't wait to taste it! :-)

> Penfolds makes several wines that are great buys. All good at
> affordable prices. Seems to me that I used to be able to buy Ridge
> wines at Costco. Ridge is always good but often over priced in my opinion.

I also did buy that bottle of Kim Crawford 2006 Sauvignon Blanc today
which I was so vexed over on my first specifically wine shopping visit
to Costco. I'm pretty excited about this one. It's the best rated
wine I currently own. I can't wait to taste it to see what all the
hoopla is about!

It's sort of a bummer, though, according to wine.com it is "A wine to
drink now and, with careful cellaring, will [only] last up to five
years." :-(

I guess this bottle will be for here and now, forget tomorrow! :0)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 10:42 pm, "Gary Childress" > wrote:
> [...]

> > form some opinions of your own as to what appeals to YOU, which, of
> > course, is the important factor. Also, you will find yourself picking up
> > some of the common wine knowledge, terminology, and know-how, which
> > couldn't hurt with your dates. (Provided you don't get snobbish about it
> > or try to push it too far.)

> > Jim- Hide quoted text -

> I don't know about taking a course on wine appreciation. I will
> probably just stumble through tasting the rated wines and/or other
> highly recommended bottles. I try to pick up what I can from this
> group and from internet sites on wine like wine.com. For instance I
> didn't know until Miles explained why I should lay a corked wine on
> its side for storage purposes.
>
> But....a wine appreciation course does sound sort of neat. I may try
> that some day in the future.- Hide quoted text -

Hope the teacher isn't biased ;-))
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 11:21 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 10:31 pm, "Gary Childress" > wrote:

> > > Looking back over the year and a half of what I bought at Costco, it
> > > looks like I bought a 4 bottles of Kirkland Tawny Port, a Ruffino, a
> > > Melini chianti , 2 Kirkland Paulliacs, 1 Kirkland Champagne, 1
> > > Kirkland Merlot, 1 Kirkland Pinot Noir; a Rioja, a Graham port wine; a
> > > Kirkland Cabernet; 2 Banfi, 2 Kirkland Tuscany; looking for a Kirkland
> > > Chateauneuf de Pape (couldn't find - waiting) DaVinci (cheap and
> > > horrible) Coppola (horrible) Pinot Grigo Trentino (not good); Marchesi
> > > di Barolo Barbera d'Alba; maybe more wines, I don't remember. I'll
> > > pick up something and forget to write it down, but so far I'm looking
> > > for Sauvion Blanc and de Pape sold by Kirkland, but I think I missed
> > > them.

> > > Dee

> > I've always wanted to try Coppola. I've had it recommended to me a
> > couple of times by the wine people on staff at the local gourmet
> > stores as being a good vineyard. I may forgo that desire now that you
> > say it is "horrible". What kind of Coppola wine did you try which was
> > so bad?- Hide quoted text -

> I would certainly try a Coppola if I always wanted to, as you say.
> That's what I did. A lot of people like it. I'm just expressing my
> own tastes; one negative reveiw among many who do like it. I would be
> interested to know how you like it. If and when you try it, please let
> me/us know.
> Looking thru his labels, I do believe it was a Coppola claret,
> certainly not a merlot :-)
> If you saw the movie, Sideways, you'll catch my drift.
> dee
>
> I- Hide quoted text -

I haven't seen the movie "Sideways". I don't watch hardly any movies
or TV.

The Coppola I'm gunning for is the 2005 Diamond Sauvignon Blanc. It
has a rating of "90" from Wine News. Obviously it could end up being
a complete flop but there is only one way to find out! :0)

Posted to alt.food.wine

Gary Childress wrote:

> It's sort of a bummer, though, according to wine.com it is "A wine to
> drink now and, with careful cellaring, will [only] last up to five
> years." :-(

White wines generally do not age very long. There are some exceptions
but in my experience they're drink now, or might improve over a couple
years. Too long and they go flat.

Most reds will age much longer but not all. Some 5 years or less,
others 10,20 years or much more. The trick is knowing just how long
before a particular wine will peak. Ask the winery, they should know!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Gary Childress wrote:

> I haven't seen the movie "Sideways". I don't watch hardly any movies
> or TV.

You didn't miss much. I have no idea why so many people raved about
this movie. I thought it was just plain stupid with a few good jokes
sprinkled in.

It does take you through much of southern Californias Pinot Noir wine
country. Oddly, one of the largest wineries in the region, Fess Parker,
allowed filming at their winery but used a fake name on the signs.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 11:36 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 10:42 pm, "Gary Childress" > wrote:

> > > \

> > > You are getting lots of good suggestions. - But how are you going to
> > > choose among all these recommendations, and how are you going to choose
> > > at a restaurant with other selections? My suggestion would be that you
> > > attend a few wine tastings or wine appreciation courses to expedite and
> > > expand your education regarding wines. - You will get to taste a number
> > > of different types of wines in a relatively short period and thereby
> > > form some opinions of your own as to what appeals to YOU, which, of
> > > course, is the important factor. Also, you will find yourself picking up
> > > some of the common wine knowledge, terminology, and know-how, which
> > > couldn't hurt with your dates. (Provided you don't get snobbish about it
> > > or try to push it too far.)

> > > Jim- Hide quoted text -

> > I don't know about taking a course on wine appreciation. I will
> > probably just stumble through tasting the rated wines and/or other
> > highly recommended bottles. I try to pick up what I can from this
> > group and from internet sites on wine like wine.com. For instance I
> > didn't know until Miles explained why I should lay a corked wine on
> > its side for storage purposes.

> > But....a wine appreciation course does sound sort of neat. I may try
> > that some day in the future.- Hide quoted text -

> Hope the teacher isn't biased ;-))
> Dee- Hide quoted text -

That's a good point. I'm sure almost any class will give me some
"slant" in my opinions, depending upon the teacher. I guess the trick
would be to be self conscious of the fact that I am running around
tasting with a certain bias. At least that way I won't let a little
training go to my head (no pun intended). :0)

Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:

> Thats odd. In the USA wine consumption has been rising and a 2 hour
> lunch is very rare. Penalties for drunk driving have gotten stricter
> in most states.

Also he upto 24000 euros, 6 months jail and 1 year without driving.
The stupid part of it? Almost no controls in the south, few in the center
and a lot of controls in the north, resulting in a slaughter of drivers here
and no one getting stopped down there in southern Italy.
A lottery, just another stupid italian lottery...
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to alt.food.wine

Gary Childress wrote:

>>> What wines do you enjoy the most? The Costco's in my area have some
>>> excellent wines. A little of everything. They dont have my favorites
>>> but then neither do most wine stores.

>> Looking back over the year and a half of what I bought at Costco, it
>> looks like I bought a 4 bottles of Kirkland Tawny Port, a Ruffino, a
>> Melini chianti , 2 Kirkland Paulliacs, 1 Kirkland Champagne, 1
>> Kirkland Merlot, 1 Kirkland Pinot Noir; a Rioja, a Graham port wine; a
>> Kirkland Cabernet; 2 Banfi, 2 Kirkland Tuscany; looking for a Kirkland
>> Chateauneuf de Pape (couldn't find - waiting) DaVinci (cheap and
>> horrible) Coppola (horrible) Pinot Grigo Trentino (not good); Marchesi
>> di Barolo Barbera d'Alba; maybe more wines, I don't remember. I'll
>> pick up something and forget to write it down, but so far I'm looking
>> for Sauvion Blanc and de Pape sold by Kirkland, but I think I missed
>> them.
>>
>> Dee

> I've always wanted to try Coppola. I've had it recommended to me a
> couple of times by the wine people on staff at the local gourmet
> stores as being a good vineyard. I may forgo that desire now that you
> say it is "horrible". What kind of Coppola wine did you try which was
> so bad?

The Coppola Syrah was my first Syrah, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Had
it a few more times, but haven't been back to try since they changed the
label from Syrah to Shiraz.

I've heard awful things about the Claret, that it was too thin, not much
going on. Haven't tried it.

Moral of the story, if you don't try it you'll never know.

-ben