Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3 good values (Beaujolais, Burgundy, Alto Adige)

Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+

So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
with Judy Rodger's Zuni Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-

Tuesday Betsy made a grilled tuna dish, with a quinoa side and green
beans with cherry tomatoes. I opened the 2002 Cantina Terlan
"Siebeneich" Merlot. I don't normally look for Northern Italian reds
(especially Merlot), but I'm a fan of Terlan's whites and Lagrein;
plus I saw a note from a salesman I respect at Astor on this. Round
and juicy (riper than I would have expected from a mountain Merlot),
straightforward with nice red plum fruit framed with a little pepper
and hint of sandalwood. Round but not flabby, a good buy in $12
Merlot. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 9:29�am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
> and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
> Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
> hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
> getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
> cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
> wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
> time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
> away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+
>
> So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
> most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
> of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
> with Judy Rodger's Zuni *Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
> 1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
> bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
> progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
> minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
> acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
> beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
> fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
> Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-
>
> Tuesday Betsy made a grilled tuna dish, with a quinoa side and green
> beans with cherry tomatoes. I opened the 2002 Cantina Terlan
> "Siebeneich" Merlot. I don't normally look for Northern Italian reds
> (especially Merlot), but I'm a fan of Terlan's whites and Lagrein;
> plus I saw a note from a salesman I respect at Astor on this. Round
> and juicy (riper than I would have expected from a mountain Merlot),
> straightforward with nice red plum fruit framed with a little pepper
> and hint of sandalwood. Round but not flabby, a good buy in $12
> Merlot. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dale,
I just had a bottle of the '93 Drouhin Gevrey and your
discription is spot on. Personally I like the '93's. They tend to
exhibit what I would call classic burgundy flavors with an elegance
and sleekness that I enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of those big over
blown, oaky black wines that we so often see these days from
Burgundy.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
> and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
> Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
> hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
> getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
> cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
> wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
> time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
> away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+

That sounds about right. Did you try the '06 at CSW? (It didn't appear
in your notes) I was shocked to learn that it's already in the bottle.

> So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
> most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
> of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
> with Judy Rodger's Zuni Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
> 1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
> bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
> progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
> minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
> acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
> beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
> fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
> Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-

Yum. I have exactly two '93s in the cellar, both Jadot 1ers (this was
from before my Burgundy epiphany). It sounds like they may be ready to
drink soon...

Thanks for the notes,
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 10:01�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Mar 28, 9:29?am, "DaleW" > wrote:
>

> > Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> > and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> > the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
> > and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
> > Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
> > hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
> > getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
> > cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
> > wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
> > time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
> > away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+

> > So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
> > most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
> > of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
> > with Judy Rodger's Zuni ?Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
> > 1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
> > bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
> > progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
> > minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
> > acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
> > beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
> > fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
> > Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-

> > Tuesday Betsy made a grilled tuna dish, with a quinoa side and green
> > beans with cherry tomatoes. I opened the 2002 Cantina Terlan
> > "Siebeneich" Merlot. I don't normally look for Northern Italian reds
> > (especially Merlot), but I'm a fan of Terlan's whites and Lagrein;
> > plus I saw a note from a salesman I respect at Astor on this. Round
> > and juicy (riper than I would have expected from a mountain Merlot),
> > straightforward with nice red plum fruit framed with a little pepper
> > and hint of sandalwood. Round but not flabby, a good buy in $12
> > Merlot. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> Dale,
> * * * I just had a bottle of the '93 Drouhin Gevrey and your
> discription is spot on. *Personally I like the '93's. *They tend to
> exhibit what I would call classic burgundy flavors with an elegance
> and sleekness that I enjoy. *I'm not a huge fan of those big over
> blown, oaky black wines that we so often see these days from
> Burgundy.- Hide quoted text -

Funny we should both have that! Agreed re the elegance.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 11:33�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> > and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> > the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
> > and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
> > Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
> > hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
> > getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
> > cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
> > wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
> > time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
> > away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+

> That sounds about right. *Did you try the '06 at CSW? (It didn't appear
> in your notes) I was shocked to learn that it's already in the bottle.
>

> > So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
> > most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
> > of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
> > with Judy Rodger's Zuni *Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
> > 1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
> > bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
> > progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
> > minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
> > acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
> > beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
> > fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
> > Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-

> Yum. *I have exactly two '93s in the cellar, both Jadot 1ers (this was
> from before my Burgundy epiphany). *It sounds like they may be ready to
> drink soon...
>
> Thanks for the notes,
> Mark Lipton

Mark,
they were pouring '05 at CSW. I saw Bill B. posted a note re the '06
in Boston, but my guess is at CSW they concentrated on current
vintages if still in stock (Boston was a trade tasting)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 11:33�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> > and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> > the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
> > and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
> > Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
> > hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
> > getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
> > cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
> > wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
> > time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
> > away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+

> That sounds about right. *Did you try the '06 at CSW? (It didn't appear
> in your notes) I was shocked to learn that it's already in the bottle.
>

> > So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
> > most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
> > of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
> > with Judy Rodger's Zuni *Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
> > 1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
> > bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
> > progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
> > minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
> > acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
> > beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
> > fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
> > Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-

> Yum. *I have exactly two '93s in the cellar, both Jadot 1ers (this was
> from before my Burgundy epiphany). *It sounds like they may be ready to
> drink soon...
>
> Thanks for the notes,
> Mark Lipton

Mark,
they were pouring '05 at CSW. I saw Bill B. posted a note re the '06
in Boston, but my guess is at CSW they concentrated on current
vintages if still in stock (Boston was a trade tasting)

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 3 good values (Beaujolais, Burgundy, Alto Adige)

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,

Dale,
Sorry to be nosy but I always feel a bit out of the loop about this. Is
Betsy an actress on Broadway or TV? Would I recognize her name?

BTW, thanks for your past advice on wines and recipes. I made my first Zuni
cafe chicken recipe last night based on reading about it in your post last
month, and it was just terrific. Served an '04 Solaris PN (Carneros), which
went very well.

Regards,
Jon Rose

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 12:21?pm, "DaleW" > wrote:
> On Mar 28, 10:01?am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 28, 9:29?am, "DaleW" > wrote:

> > > Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> > > and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> > > the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,
> > > and fell back on a fave, the 2005 Brun l'Ancien Vielles Vignes
> > > Beaujolais. This needed a little time to open up (I decanted about
> > > hour before starting the grilling), but what's better than a sip while
> > > getting grill going? By serving time it was showing more - big black
> > > cherry fruit, some earth. Continued to open through evening. This
> > > wasn't so light, but it did match with dish well. This could use some
> > > time, though the plastic cork makes me lerry of real aging. Will put
> > > away my remaining bottles and reexamine in 2008. B+

> > > So the 1993 red Burgundy vintage is controversial. Well, not really,
> > > most critics think its great, with two notable exceptions. Even some
> > > of the fans say that the greatness is only in the top wines. Well,
> > > with Judy Rodger's Zuni ?Chicken with bread salad, Monday we had the
> > > 1993 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin, a 14 year old negociant village
> > > bottling. A bit light at opening, but put on weight as evening
> > > progressed. Black cherry and red currant fruit, a huge streak of
> > > minerality. Nose gets more earthy/loamy as it gets more air. Nervy
> > > acidity keeps this lively all through night. Next night it is
> > > beginning to show a little oxidation, but still a fine core of fresh
> > > fruit. You truly couldn't ask for more from a wine of this level.
> > > Well, I could ask for having more bottles, but sadly I don't. A-

> > > Tuesday Betsy made a grilled tuna dish, with a quinoa side and green
> > > beans with cherry tomatoes. I opened the 2002 Cantina Terlan
> > > "Siebeneich" Merlot. I don't normally look for Northern Italian reds
> > > (especially Merlot), but I'm a fan of Terlan's whites and Lagrein;
> > > plus I saw a note from a salesman I respect at Astor on this. Round
> > > and juicy (riper than I would have expected from a mountain Merlot),
> > > straightforward with nice red plum fruit framed with a little pepper
> > > and hint of sandalwood. Round but not flabby, a good buy in $12
> > > Merlot. B

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> > Dale,
> > ? ? ? I just had a bottle of the '93 Drouhin Gevrey and your
> > discription is spot on. ?Personally I like the '93's. ?They tend to
> > exhibit what I would call classic burgundy flavors with an elegance
> > and sleekness that I enjoy. ?I'm not a huge fan of those big over
> > blown, oaky black wines that we so often see these days from
> > Burgundy.- Hide quoted text -

> Funny we should both have that! Agreed re the elegance.- Hide quoted text -

I had a few bottles left in my cellar. I assume that they made a
bunch of it and it was well priced as I recall.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 28, 1:25?pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I picked up some skirt steak on sale,
> > and made a fajita marinade. Nice to have grilling weather back. With
> > the spiciness of the fajita, I wanted a light red with good acidity,

> Dale,
> Sorry to be nosy but I always feel a bit out of the loop about this. Is
> Betsy an actress on Broadway or TV? Would I recognize her name?
>
> BTW, thanks for your past advice on wines and recipes. I made my first Zuni
> cafe chicken recipe last night based on reading about it in your post last
> month, and it was just terrific. Served an '04 Solaris PN (Carneros), which
> went very well.
>
> Regards,
> Jon Rose

Not an actress, cellist. Plays with NYC Opera.,

My favorite chicken recipe, and plays very well with Pinot Noir!