FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/118447-tn-4-inexpensive-wines.html)

DaleW 09-03-2007 09:11 PM

TN: 4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz)

With the Zuni (Judy Rodgers) chicken, the 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg
"Gobelsburger" Zweigelt. Light and bright, strawberry and raspberry
fruit, some light tannins. Not much on the finish, but it's a fairly
inexpensive bottling, so fills its niche. B

Betsy made a flank steak with a mustardy marinade, sweet potatoes, and
a broccoli/pea dish Tuesday. Wine was a 2005 Jadot Beaujolais-
Villages (375). I'm not usually a big fan of negociant Beaujolais,
but the ripeness of the vintage seems to have done well for Jadot.
Pretty red berry fruit , surprising tannins. Quite enjoyable. B/B+

After dinner Tues, after dinner Wed (I ate at a meeting with no wine),
and after dinner Thursday, the 2004 Kurt Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg
Riesling Spätlese (Pfalz). Lime and a hint of white flowers, a bit too
sweet and ponderous for me. I really liked Darting as a QPR producer
in 2001, but subsequent vintages have proven too heavy/fat for me.
Did Darting change or did I? I think I'm just not a Pfalz guy (though
I'll never turn down an older Muller-Catoir!). B-

Thursday she made a pasta with tomato sauce with tarragon and a
lobster tail, with a separate course of kale over garlic rubbed toast
with cheese. Wine was the 2004 Domaine de Vercheres Macon-Villages.
Granny smith fruit and an edge of chalk, flavor profile is appealing
but a bit dilute and short. A little more there there, please. B-

[email protected] 10-03-2007 12:24 AM

TN: 4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz)

Ah, Zuni. Now I'll have to have chicken tonight. Of course, I'll
probably choose a Zweigelt from a different producer....

e. winemonger 10-03-2007 12:31 AM

TN: 4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz)

Ah, the Zuni chicken.

Guess I know what I'm going to have to have for dinner tonight
(although it's never quite as good). Of course, I'll probably choose a
Zweigelt from a different producer....

pavane 10-03-2007 01:34 AM

4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz)

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Thursday she made a pasta with tomato sauce with tarragon and a
lobster tail, with a separate course of kale over garlic rubbed toast
with cheese.

For whatever reason the "kale over garlic rubbed toast with
cheese" sounds wonderful. Might I ask what type of cheese,
and how the dish was prepared?

Thanks

pavane

DaleW 10-03-2007 10:25 PM

On Mar 9, 7:31?pm, "e. winemonger" > wrote:
> Ah, the Zuni chicken.
>
> Guess I know what I'm going to have to have for dinner tonight
> (although it's never quite as good). Of course, I'll probably choose a
> Zweigelt from a different producer....

So report!

DaleW 10-03-2007 10:30 PM

On Mar 9, 8:34�pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> Thursday she made a pasta with tomato sauce with tarragon and a
> lobster tail, with a separate course of kale over garlic rubbed toast
> with cheese.
>
> For whatever reason the "kale over garlic rubbed toast with
> cheese" sounds wonderful. *Might I ask what type of cheese,
> and how the dish was prepared?
>
> Thanks
>
> pavane

It's actually another Zuni Cafe Cookbook (Judy Rodgers) recipe. Saute
onions, add garlic and a dried chile, and a lot of kale. Add water to
cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over the garlic rubbed toast, top
with shavings of Pecorino. When doing as main course, she has added
proscuitto. There are multiple variations in cookbook-I hope to try
the one with a fried egg with a dash of red wine vinegar.

pavane 11-03-2007 02:52 AM

4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz)

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 9, 8:34?pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> Thursday she made a pasta with tomato sauce with tarragon and a
> lobster tail, with a separate course of kale over garlic rubbed toast
> with cheese.
>
> For whatever reason the "kale over garlic rubbed toast with
> cheese" sounds wonderful. Might I ask what type of cheese,
> and how the dish was prepared?
>
> Thanks
>
> pavane

It's actually another Zuni Cafe Cookbook (Judy Rodgers) recipe. Saute
onions, add garlic and a dried chile, and a lot of kale. Add water to
cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over the garlic rubbed toast, top
with shavings of Pecorino. When doing as main course, she has added
proscuitto. There are multiple variations in cookbook-I hope to try
the one with a fried egg with a dash of red wine vinegar.

Thanks again. That book is now a must. Appreciation for your
splendid wines and foods descriptions.

pavane

DaleW 12-03-2007 08:47 PM

On Mar 10, 10:52�pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> On Mar 9, 8:34?pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>
> > "DaleW" > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> > Thursday she made a pasta with tomato sauce with tarragon and a
> > lobster tail, with a separate course of kale over garlic rubbed toast
> > with cheese.

> > For whatever reason the "kale over garlic rubbed toast with
> > cheese" sounds wonderful. Might I ask what type of cheese,
> > and how the dish was prepared?

> > Thanks

> > pavane

> It's actually another Zuni Cafe Cookbook (Judy Rodgers) recipe. Saute
> onions, add garlic and a dried chile, and a lot of kale. Add water to
> cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over the garlic rubbed toast, top
> with shavings of Pecorino. When doing as main course, she has added
> proscuitto. There are multiple variations in cookbook-I hope to try
> the one with a fried egg with a dash of red wine vinegar.
>
> Thanks again. *That book is now a must. *Appreciation for your
> splendid wines and foods descriptions.
>
> pavane

Did the egg/vinegar, very good. Nice cookbook, but more detailed than
I like (Betsy does complicated better than I)- chicken recipe is like
4 pages long.