Posted to alt.food.wine

Default OTBN goes to the Oscars

The following wines were opened and consumed at our Open That Bottle
Night Goes to the Oscars party last night. They were tasted in order
of the list. The point ratings are strictly mine.

2003 Piety Flats Yakima Valley Syrah (85)
2005 Morgon - Marcel Lapierre (83)
2004 Domaine de Durban Beaume de Venise (88)
2004 Avery Lane Columbia Valley Merlot
1997 Andrew Will Merlot, Klipsun (94)
1997 Beringer Alluvium (88)
1997 Eberle Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon (90)
1998 Le Poiane ripasso (Bolla) (89)
1999 Domaine Saint Benoit Chateauneuf du Pape (82)
1994 Chateau Segonnes Margaux (78)

The clear winner of the night was the Andrew Will merlot. Rich,
structured, well-balanced, despite my friend's spotty means of
storage. He keeps his wines in the basement, underneath a window that
gets too much sun in the summer. I'm actually surprised the wine
survived. Tasted more like a good Washington cab than a merlot.
(Interesting trivia of the night: The Will winemaker does not drink.
He gets others to do his taste-testing for him. Where do I sign up?)

Second place went to the sleeper, the '97 Eberle cab. I pulled it out
of the cellar as part of a "'97 sweep," thinking it might have peaked.
Instead, it surpassed the bottle of Eberle Reserve Cab we recently
opened. Major helpings of cranberry lingering in the glass long after
it had been drained.

Third place was the Bolla Le Poiane. I opened a bottle of this two
weeks ago with a friend, and we both marvelled at how many phases it
went through over the course of an hour. Smoke, currant, some
raisin...an outstanding and complex bottle of wine, especially at the
price point. When was the last time you found a good ripasso for under
$12?

Close behind the Poiane was the '97 Alluvium. So smokey one of my
friends joked it would make a good wine to accompany barbecue. It was
much better than that, with the Cab Franc in the blend giving it some
backbone.

The Morgon was okay if you could get past the brett contamination (I
couldn't). The Saint Benoit CdP was decanted but didn't show much.
Biggest disappointment of the evening was the '94 Ch. Segonnes (also
decanted), which was surprisingly flat and thin. The Beaume de Venise
was full of bright cherry.

An excellent drinking time was had by all, plus we enthusiastically
applauded the Oscars for Al Gore, Melissa Etheridge and Marty "I'm
Finally No Susan Lucci" Scorsese.

Cheers,

JJ