Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Ogier and 2 Austrians

Betsy made a simplified bouillabaisse (recipe from Ina Garten)
Saturday, she used a cup of the 2003 Pfaffl Grüner Veltliner
(Weinviertel) in the dish. We had as an apertif. Not as fat/flat as
some 2003s, decent if not lively acidity, light white pepper aromas,
maybe a little light in the fruit. Nothing to search for, but as this
was $5 at Zachys I was satisfied. B-

I wanted a more serious white with dinner, and opened the 2002 Erwin
Sabathi "Mervielleux" Sauvignon Blanc (Styria). Big style of SB, very
full and fruit but with a serious core. Some toasty oak, but mostly
about the pear and melon fruit. A little hint of flowers. Reminds me
of a mid-level white Bordeaux. Pretty good, B+/B and probably will
continue to age well, but a not wise choice as a match.

Sunday was a lamb tagine with apricots and olives, over couscous with
buttered almonds; cabbage with bacon and Oregonzola (gorgonzola style
cheese from guess where) & braised leeks on the side. Delicious,
though we agreed next time lighter sides. Wine was the 2002 Ogier "La
Rosine" (Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes ). I have mostly
steered clear of 2002 Rhones, but a positive note from Florida Jim
made me take a chance on this (and fact it was $12). First bottle-
corked! Ack! I went and got my second , put it in a warm bath (other
had been upstairs for whole day to acclimate). Lighter Syrah, dark
berry fruit with some meaty/bacony aromas and a light floral element.
Good acidity, nice finish. Funnily, as it got time in the glass it
seemed to get simpler, with a redder fruit profile. Still, a very good
wine at the price, though I didn't like as much as the 2001 version. B/
B+