Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Lunch Notes

Notes from Bill's Business Lunch, February episode.

2004 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - sure didn't pick this as a CB. nice
fruit and kiwi nose, lots of acid but not up to normal CB levels, and
none of the minerality one expects. A CB that drinks well much younger
than most vintages.

2004 Quinta dos Carvalhos Encruzado - not often you come to lunch and
add a varietal to your lifetime varietal rota, but this was the first
time I'd ever tasted Encruzado, an old Portuguese varietal no longer
in general cultivation. All the minerality the CB lacked and then
some, smooth and clean and medium long. Very interesting!

with marinated calamari and shrimp

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - instantly recognizable as a
PN but opinions divided on the old world new world decision. Clean
cherry nose, refined wine with tannins cutting in at the end. Needs
time.

1998 Les Hauts de Montmirail - this Brusset wine was showing a pure
fruit nose, slightly warm, middle weight, still fair bit of tannin and
a dry, spicy white pepper finish.

with wabbit

1989 Ch. d'Armaillhac - elegant wine showing mature colour - I thought
it was older. Tannins now very soft, smooth on palate and at a nice
stage for drinking.

1999 Pontet Canet - firm tannins on this and dark colour, lots of
extract, needs time, the nose still very primary.

1992 Hess Collection - this cab based wine has matured nicely. Pure
plumy fruit nose, with caramel and vanilla, dark colour, with tannin
still evident, good length and a whiff of anise at the end. Has time
left.

with fig stuffed Guinea fowl

1999 Castello di Gabbiano Alleanza - bitter cherry nose with some soy
sauce, good concentration and fruit and a pleasant bitterness at the
end. Blend of sangio, cab and merlot.

2001 Plaisir de Merle Cabernet - this Cape wine was showing a ripe
nose , good but not prominent acidity, and not too much tannin, very
drinkable now.

2000 Meerlust Rubicon - sweet slightly perfumed nose, nice weight,
some tannin and more acid.

with cheese

1998 Wolf Blass Shiraz Low Yeilding Vineyards (Barossa) - a rare
bottle, this had a sweet, ripe, friendly nose with a bit of heat.
Supple and sweet fruit in the middle and good length.

2001 Edmunds St John Peay Vd. Syrah - a warm one at 14.9%, but clearly
syrah. Medium dark, and a big well rounded well balanced wine.

Dom. de Forca Real Hors d'Age Rivesaltes - this Muscat was delightful,
with orange peel in the nose, lots of stuffing in the mouth and a long
dry finish. Much better than if it had been too sweet! 15% alcohol and
a great way to end a lunch.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> with wabbit

surely a bottle of Weisling

;-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 24, 9:32?pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes from Bill's Business Lunch, February episode.
>
> 2004 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - sure didn't pick this as a CB. nice
> fruit and kiwi nose, lots of acid but not up to normal CB levels, and
> none of the minerality one expects. A CB that drinks well much younger
> than most vintages.
>
> 2004 Quinta dos Carvalhos Encruzado - not often you come to lunch and
> add a varietal to your lifetime varietal rota, but this was the first
> time I'd ever tasted Encruzado, an old Portuguese varietal no longer
> in general cultivation. All the minerality the CB lacked and then
> some, smooth and clean and medium long. Very interesting!
>
> with marinated calamari and shrimp
>
> 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - instantly recognizable as a
> PN but opinions divided on the old world new world decision. Clean
> cherry nose, refined wine with tannins cutting in at the end. Needs
> time.
>
> 1998 Les Hauts de Montmirail - this Brusset wine was showing a pure
> fruit nose, slightly warm, middle weight, still fair bit of tannin and
> a dry, spicy white pepper finish.
>
> with wabbit
>
> 1989 Ch. d'Armaillhac - elegant wine showing mature colour - I thought
> it was older. Tannins now very soft, smooth on palate and at a nice
> stage for drinking.
>
> 1999 Pontet Canet - firm tannins on this and dark colour, lots of
> extract, needs time, the nose still very primary.
>
> 1992 Hess Collection - this cab based wine has matured nicely. Pure
> plumy fruit nose, with caramel and vanilla, dark colour, with tannin
> still evident, good length and a whiff of anise at the end. Has time
> left.
>
> with fig stuffed Guinea fowl
>
> 1999 Castello di Gabbiano Alleanza - bitter cherry nose with some soy
> sauce, good concentration and fruit and a pleasant bitterness at the
> end. Blend of sangio, cab and merlot.
>
> 2001 Plaisir de Merle Cabernet - this Cape wine was showing a ripe
> nose , good but not prominent acidity, and not too much tannin, very
> drinkable now.
>
> 2000 Meerlust Rubicon - sweet slightly perfumed nose, nice weight,
> some tannin and more acid.
>
> with cheese
>
> 1998 Wolf Blass Shiraz Low Yeilding Vineyards (Barossa) - a rare
> bottle, this had a sweet, ripe, friendly nose with a bit of heat.
> Supple and sweet fruit in the middle and good length.
>
> 2001 Edmunds St John Peay Vd. Syrah - a warm one at 14.9%, but clearly
> syrah. Medium dark, and a big well rounded well balanced wine.
>
> Dom. de Forca Real Hors d'Age Rivesaltes - this Muscat was delightful,
> with orange peel in the nose, lots of stuffing in the mouth and a long
> dry finish. Much better than if it had been too sweet! 15% alcohol and
> a great way to end a lunch.

Thanks for notes. I haven't had the Peay, but the ESJ Wylie-Fenaughty,
regular CA Syrah, and Bassetti are all excellent.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 24, 9:32?pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes from Bill's Business Lunch, February episode.
>
> 2004 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - sure didn't pick this as a CB. nice
> fruit and kiwi nose, lots of acid but not up to normal CB levels, and
> none of the minerality one expects. A CB that drinks well much younger
> than most vintages.
>
> 2004 Quinta dos Carvalhos Encruzado - not often you come to lunch and
> add a varietal to your lifetime varietal rota, but this was the first
> time I'd ever tasted Encruzado, an old Portuguese varietal no longer
> in general cultivation. All the minerality the CB lacked and then
> some, smooth and clean and medium long. Very interesting!
>
> with marinated calamari and shrimp
>
> 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - instantly recognizable as a
> PN but opinions divided on the old world new world decision. Clean
> cherry nose, refined wine with tannins cutting in at the end. Needs
> time.
>
> 1998 Les Hauts de Montmirail - this Brusset wine was showing a pure
> fruit nose, slightly warm, middle weight, still fair bit of tannin and
> a dry, spicy white pepper finish.
>
> with wabbit
>
> 1989 Ch. d'Armaillhac - elegant wine showing mature colour - I thought
> it was older. Tannins now very soft, smooth on palate and at a nice
> stage for drinking.
>
> 1999 Pontet Canet - firm tannins on this and dark colour, lots of
> extract, needs time, the nose still very primary.
>
> 1992 Hess Collection - this cab based wine has matured nicely. Pure
> plumy fruit nose, with caramel and vanilla, dark colour, with tannin
> still evident, good length and a whiff of anise at the end. Has time
> left.
>
> with fig stuffed Guinea fowl
>
> 1999 Castello di Gabbiano Alleanza - bitter cherry nose with some soy
> sauce, good concentration and fruit and a pleasant bitterness at the
> end. Blend of sangio, cab and merlot.
>
> 2001 Plaisir de Merle Cabernet - this Cape wine was showing a ripe
> nose , good but not prominent acidity, and not too much tannin, very
> drinkable now.
>
> 2000 Meerlust Rubicon - sweet slightly perfumed nose, nice weight,
> some tannin and more acid.
>
> with cheese
>
> 1998 Wolf Blass Shiraz Low Yeilding Vineyards (Barossa) - a rare
> bottle, this had a sweet, ripe, friendly nose with a bit of heat.
> Supple and sweet fruit in the middle and good length.
>
> 2001 Edmunds St John Peay Vd. Syrah - a warm one at 14.9%, but clearly
> syrah. Medium dark, and a big well rounded well balanced wine.
>
> Dom. de Forca Real Hors d'Age Rivesaltes - this Muscat was delightful,
> with orange peel in the nose, lots of stuffing in the mouth and a long
> dry finish. Much better than if it had been too sweet! 15% alcohol and
> a great way to end a lunch.

Thanks for the notes on the Armaillhac. I have a few bottles of the
1989 and haven't tasted them in a while and it sounds like I need to
drink up.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > wrote:

>> with wabbit

> surely a bottle of Weisling

W_ie_sling, how often must I repeat that?!

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Pronay" wrote in reply to "John T" .........

>>> with wabbit

>> surely a bottle of Weisling

> W_ie_sling, how often must I repeat that?!

Mr Pwonay .............the word is wepeat !!!!!

;-)))))

st.h

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote:

> Mr Pwonay .............the word is wepeat !

;-)

M.

Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 03-06-2012 06:25 PM
May Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 27-05-2010 09:11 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 28-02-2005 01:25 AM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 14 12-09-2004 09:46 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 1 30-11-2003 11:00 AM