FoodBanter.com

-   -   Wine Geekdom's Biggest Prize (by Mark Lipton [email protected]) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/116873-re-wine-geekdoms-biggest.html)

BrotherJustin 18-02-2007 02:36 PM

Wine Geekdom's Biggest Prize (by Mark Lipton [email protected])

this freeken article is 3 years old!

An article appeared in the NY Times today on the MW (Masters of Wine)
program and the rigors of studying for the exam:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/07/dining/07MAST.html

It makes for interesting reading and may help dissuade potential MW
candidates.

Mark Lipton

Max Hauser 18-02-2007 08:18 PM

Wine Geekdom's Biggest Prize (by Mark Lipton [email protected])

"BrotherJustin" > in
:
> this freeken article is 3 years old!
>
> An article appeared in the NY Times today on the MW (Masters of Wine)
> program and the rigors of studying for the exam:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/07/dining/07MAST.html

Yes, that's recent coverage of the MW program. The topic had much more US
press in the past, for example in US wine newsletters of the 1970s and early
80s. Vintage magazine (I think) ran a detailed feature on it about 1979,
detailing the amount of blind identification that candidates had to
demonstrate, for instance.

Those tests seemed designed to identify actual wine knowledge and palate
skill (actual, rather than claimed or perceived) and were rigorous. There's
also (at least today) a thesis requirement, giving the program elements of a
university professional-school study.

A friend checked into it some years ago. She is an experienced expert
merchant and professional culinary (and also general university) graduate,
and worked under a very well respected early US MW graduate, and reported to
us about the current program, at tastings.

-- Max

Mark Lipton[_1_] 19-02-2007 04:41 AM

BrotherJustin wrote:
> this freeken article is 3 years old!

Uh-huh, as was the post you quoted. So your point is...?

Mark Lipton