Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Riedel's unique Oregon Pinot Noir glass wine shape

Sounds like bull$hit to me.

Next:
Unique Australia Pinot Noir wine glass shape;
Unique New Zealand Pinot Noir wine glass shape;
Unique Sonoma Pinot Noir wine glass shape;
Unique Napa Pinot Noir wine glass shape;
.. . .

http://sev.prnewswire.com/beer-wine-...9012007-1.html

Legendary Glassmaker Georg Riedel Joins With The International Pinot
Noir Celebration to Create Unique Oregon Pinot Noir Glass

MCMINNVILLE, Ore., Jan. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- After two years of
research, comparative tastings, and evaluation of prototype glasses,
Oregon winemakers and Georg Riedel have arrived at a new shape of wine
glass designed especially for Oregon Pinot noir. What began as a
wishful conversation between IPNC Executive Director Amy Wesselman and
Georg Riedel has now been given form, literally, and the first
shipment of the new tulip-shaped glass is currently on its way from
Kufstein, Austria.

Winemakers, wine writers, and sommeliers played a key role in the
development of the glass through a series of workshops. During each
workshop, participants compared an array of different glasses, from an
unpresumptuous bowl-shaped glass to the magnificent, hand-blown Riedel
Crystal Grand Cru Burgundy glass. After tasting and smelling from each
glass, Mr. Riedel asked each participant to eliminate one glass from
the set. Votes were counted, another wine was poured, and the process
was repeated.

At the first of these workshops, the finalists unsurprisingly were
Riedel Crystal's Vinum Burgundy glass, the Vinum Extreme Pinot Noir
Glass, and the Grand Cru Burgundy glass. The glasses Riedel had
designed for Pinot Noir all outperformed the other styles. But tasters
were left with a conundrum. The Vinum Extreme glass did a great job of
focusing the beautiful, fruity aromas of Oregon Pinot. But on the
palate, the Grand Cru Burgundy glass was the clear winner, showing off
the velvety texture of Oregon Pinot noir and softening the edges of
younger wines. "Is it possible to design a glass that accentuates
aromas, like the Vinum Extreme, but also delivers on the palate, like
the Grand Cru Burgundy?" Ms. Wesselman tentatively asked Mr. Riedel.
Mr. Riedel replied that he would need to develop additional prototypes
to answer that question.

Ms. Wesselman shipped a selection of some of Oregon's best Pinot noirs
to Austria for Mr. Riedel to work with in his own facility. Six months
later, an answer was delivered in the form of a large-bowled,
tulip-shaped glass that flares out gently at the top. This glass was
presented along with 11 others in a workshop similar to the first.
Tasters agreed that the slightly narrower opening of this glass seemed
to focus aromas. Its flared lip reproduced the mouth-feel tasters had
experienced with the Grand Cru Burgundy glass. Every single workshop
participant agreed that the new glass offered Oregon Pinot noir lovers
the best of both worlds.

"This is a significant development in the advancement of Oregon as a
premier Pinot growing region," said Tony Rynders, winemaker at Domaine
Serene. "It's all about having the right vehicle to show off our
wines, and the group of winemakers and wine professionals involved in
developing this glass unanimously agreed that it made an enormous
difference."

Georg Riedel will officially unveil the new glass at this summer's
International Pinot Noir Celebration, where he will preside as Master
of Ceremonies. The IPNC will be held in McMinnville, Oregon on July 27
- 29, 2007. For details, contact the IPNC at 800/775-IPNC,
, or http://www.ipnc.org/. For more information on the
Riedel Oregon Pinot Noir Glass, contact Barry Treyve at 503/652-0657
or .

Contact: Amy Wesselman
503/472/8964

Website:
http://www.ipnc.org/

--
================================
Check out the MiamiWine blog.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I think this is pretty clearly mostly about marketing- Riedel will
probably sell a lot of these in the NW.

I do think glass shape makes a difference, but for my personal needs I
find I get by very well with keeping 5 sets of glasses accessible (in
other words, not in basement):

Schott Zwiesel White Burgundy/Chardonnay (the most everyday glass,
most whites and most everyday reds, sometimes serious sparklers)

Schott Zwiesel Bordeaux (Bordeaux and bigger New World Cabs or
Merlots, most Syrah)

Spiegelau Burgundy (red Burgs, Nebbiolo, Southern Rhones)

Schott Zwiesel Riesling/Rose (those plus dessert wines)

Riedel flutes (NV Champagne, Loire & CA bubbly)

Except for dinner parties, we pretty much use the dishwashable Schott
Zwiesels. I'm geeky enough to enjoy using various glasses, but if I
needed to chose one glass I'd probably be quiter happy using the
Chardonnay glasses (13.5 oz) for everything. I already use it for some
reds such as Beaujolais, Chianti, etc (it's about the same size as the
Riedel Chianti/Zinfandel glass I think). It might not be optimum for
big reds, but they do better in it that most whites swimming around in
a huge bowl.

On Jan 31, 8:24�am, Leo Bueno > wrote:
> [...]
> participant agreed that the new glass offered Oregon Pinot noir lovers
> the best of both worlds.
>
> "This is a significant development in the advancement of Oregon as a
> premier Pinot growing region," said Tony Rynders, winemaker at Domaine
> Serene. "It's all about having the right vehicle to show off our
> wines, and the group of winemakers and wine professionals involved in
> developing this glass unanimously agreed that it made an enormous
> difference."
>
> Georg Riedel will officially unveil the new glass at this summer's
> International Pinot Noir Celebration, where he will preside as Master
> of Ceremonies. The IPNC will be held in McMinnville, Oregon on July 27
> - 29, 2007. For details, contact the IPNC at 800/775-IPNC,
> , orhttp://www.ipnc.org/. For more information on the
> Riedel Oregon Pinot Noir Glass, contact Barry Treyve at 503/652-0657

Posted to alt.food.wine

PS If I wasn't clear, I think that one could get by fine with one set
of 11-14 oz stems in a moderate shape.

But if someone feels they need to have separate glasses for Burgundian
PN, CA PN, and Oregon PN, viva le difference. Time for a NZ PN stem?

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> I do think glass shape makes a difference, but for my personal needs I
> find I get by very well with keeping 5 sets of glasses accessible (in
> other words, not in basement):

Like Dale, I also use a small collection of glasses for different wines.
My lineup is:

INAO/ISO - Everyday use and for clumsy or oblivious guests, dishwasher
safe, cheap, decent

Riedel Zinfandel/Chianti - For non-aromatic white wines and robust reds

Spiegelau Authentis Burgundy - For Burgundy (duh!), lighter bodied New
World Pinot Noirs and Grenache-based wines

Riedel Vinum Bordeaux - For Bordeaux (2x duh!), mature CalCabs and Syrahs

Riedel Champagne Flutes - Sparkling wines and aromatic whites

We also have a few other glasses given to us by friends, but these are
the sets that we've chosen for serving wines.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> PS If I wasn't clear, I think that one could get by fine with one set
> of 11-14 oz stems in a moderate shape.
>
> But if someone feels they need to have separate glasses for Burgundian
> PN, CA PN, and Oregon PN, viva le difference. Time for a NZ PN stem?

FWIW
ISO for everyday use, and like Mark, especially with guests. !

Riedel Bordeaux for ALL other wines.

I have just downsized and my Riedels are in the garage.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>,
says...

>I think this is pretty clearly mostly about marketing- Riedel will
>probably sell a lot of these in the NW.
>
>I do think glass shape makes a difference, but for my personal needs I
>find I get by very well with keeping 5 sets of glasses accessible (in
>other words, not in basement):
>
>Schott Zwiesel White Burgundy/Chardonnay (the most everyday glass,
>most whites and most everyday reds, sometimes serious sparklers)
>
>Schott Zwiesel Bordeaux (Bordeaux and bigger New World Cabs or
>Merlots, most Syrah)
>
>Spiegelau Burgundy (red Burgs, Nebbiolo, Southern Rhones)
>
>Schott Zwiesel Riesling/Rose (those plus dessert wines)
>
>Riedel flutes (NV Champagne, Loire & CA bubbly)
>
>Except for dinner parties, we pretty much use the dishwashable Schott
>Zwiesels. I'm geeky enough to enjoy using various glasses, but if I
>needed to chose one glass I'd probably be quiter happy using the
>Chardonnay glasses (13.5 oz) for everything. I already use it for some
>reds such as Beaujolais, Chianti, etc (it's about the same size as the
>Riedel Chianti/Zinfandel glass I think). It might not be optimum for
>big reds, but they do better in it that most whites swimming around in
>a huge bowl.[SNIP]

Dale,

Have you, by chance, ever tried the Reidel "Montrachet" glasses? I've
responded with my amazement (at Reidel tasting - hey, both wife and I planned
on NOT buying any more glasses, but she was first to say, "we've gotta' have
these!") at the performance of these stems for "big" Chards, domestic, or
imported.

Just curious,
Hunt