Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Luccio Moscato d'Asti Clone ?

My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there is a
wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class , raising
a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this wine
before.
Thanks,
Raz

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there is a
> wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class , raising
> a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
> Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this wine
> before.
> Thanks,
> Raz

I would be surprised. I am used to paying $10US for a 375ml of moscato
from Chiarlo.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
>> My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there is
>> a wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class ,
>> raising a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
>> Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this
>> wine before.
>> Thanks,
>> Raz
>>

> I would be surprised. I am used to paying $10US for a 375ml of moscato
> from Chiarlo.

This must be something different , because this is U.S. also .

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:

> This must be something different , because this is U.S. also .

No, Luccio Moscato D'Asti comes from Italy. FWIW, you *can* find it for
under $10/bottle. Spec's in Houston is selling it for $8.98, but they
don't ship to Montezuma, IA (if that's indeed where you are). It's also
being sold for $8.99/bottle by GoodSpirits Fine Wine&Liquor in Sioux
Falls, SD, so you might have more luck with them. If you order it in
quantity (usally a case of 12) it'll be under $10 even with shipping
added in. (This information, BTW, comes from the very useful website
http://www.wine-searcher.com)

Plan B is to go to a wine store and ask them what they'd recommend
that's like the Luccio Moscato. Wine-searcher doesn't show any stores
in IA selling a Moscato for under $10, but it isn't all-knowing.

The problem is that $10 is pretty cheap for an imported Italian wine.
Even Muscats from the US (Muscat is the English name for Moscato) don't
usually sell for any cheaper. You can probably find some sweet German
wines for less, but whether they'd taste at all like the Moscato is
highly debatable.

Best of luck in your search,
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Most of the major moscato's here in Md are $15 & up--Asti Spumante is more
effervescent and can be found for under $10----its made moscato too; even
the best Asti's Controtto & Fontanafredda don't compare with a moscato,
IMHO. There are several ,moscato's out of California, the best being
Moscato Amabile from Martini--sold only at the winery. They are Mondavi's
moscato d'oro, Pecota and Sutter Home. Only the Sutter Home would be under
$10. Christian Brothers used to make Chateau Lasalle that was NV and a good
quaff for the $.

One year I did a tasting called Muscat Love for the local American Wine
Society, we even played the Carpenter's Muscrat Love and had a prize as an
homage to Karen Carpenter---a special room for bulimics. I know that's
sick.....
" Hilltop Cycle ATV" > wrote in message
> My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there is

> wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class ,

raising
> a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
> Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this wine
> before.
> Thanks,
> Raz

Posted to alt.food.wine

I agree with Mark, it's unlikely you'll find a Moscato d'Asti for
significantly under $10. Some thoughts:
Mark's idea of inexpensive German whites is a good one. Different
profile, but many are at similar sweetness levels.
Maybe just ask at your local store what they have in the lightly
sparkling lightly sweet area. If your wife likes Cold Duck (not a geek
favorite, but who cares if she likes) at $3.50, you're ahead of the
game.
There's no easy "just like Moscato for less money" answer, so best idea
is to experiment yourself.
Good luck.

Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there is a
> wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class , raising
> a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
> Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this wine
> before.
> Thanks,
> Raz

Posted to alt.food.wine

The clone used in Italy and the Left Coast is Canelli, although you may find
one or two muscat alexanders, In France the muscat d'beaune venise is from a
different clone.

There are other moscato's in Italy but they do not show up here.

Below is a link to Capetta a winery that was a client---they make a moscato
piemonte, which was quite good and inexpensive.

http://www.capetta.it/pagine/eng/vin..._moscato.lasso
"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I agree with Mark, it's unlikely you'll find a Moscato d'Asti for
> significantly under $10. Some thoughts:
> Mark's idea of inexpensive German whites is a good one. Different
> profile, but many are at similar sweetness levels.
> Maybe just ask at your local store what they have in the lightly
> sparkling lightly sweet area. If your wife likes Cold Duck (not a geek
> favorite, but who cares if she likes) at $3.50, you're ahead of the
> game.
> There's no easy "just like Moscato for less money" answer, so best idea
> is to experiment yourself.
> Good luck.
>

> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> > My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there

is a
> > wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class ,

raising
> > a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
> > Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this

wine
> > before.
> > Thanks,
> > Raz

Posted to alt.food.wine

The wife and I just tried the Sutter Home and she said it wasn't bad but she
likes the bubbly . Is there a term in wine that means it has carbonation ?
So, we know what to look for ?
Thanks,
Raz

"Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" > wrote in message
. ..
> Most of the major moscato's here in Md are $15 & up--Asti Spumante is more
> effervescent and can be found for under $10----its made moscato too; even
> the best Asti's Controtto & Fontanafredda don't compare with a moscato,
> IMHO. There are several ,moscato's out of California, the best being
> Moscato Amabile from Martini--sold only at the winery. They are Mondavi's
> moscato d'oro, Pecota and Sutter Home. Only the Sutter Home would be
> under
> $10. Christian Brothers used to make Chateau Lasalle that was NV and a
> good
> quaff for the $.
>
> One year I did a tasting called Muscat Love for the local American Wine
> Society, we even played the Carpenter's Muscrat Love and had a prize as an
> homage to Karen Carpenter---a special room for bulimics. I know that's
> sick.....
> " Hilltop Cycle ATV" > wrote in message
>> My wife loves this wine but at $10 a bottle . I was wondering if there is

>> wine close to this at a cheaper cost ? Yes, I am the middle class ,

> raising
>> a family and $10 a bottle is a significant amount .
>> Hope some of you understand , don't tell me none of you have had this
>> wine
>> before.
>> Thanks,
>> Raz

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> The wife and I just tried the Sutter Home and she said it wasn't bad but she
> likes the bubbly . Is there a term in wine that means it has carbonation ?
> So, we know what to look for ?
> Thanks,
> Raz

Sparkling. Bubbly. Fizzy. Frizzante. Carbonated. Petillant(sp?).

Posted to alt.food.wine

Frizzante is slightly spritzy, Spumante is Sparkling and has a sturdier
closure.

Generally there's 3 types of Sparklers
1) From the Champagne region in France or Method Champenois--Fermented in
the bottle. Loire Valley, French-American ventures on the Left Coast.
2) Charmat--Fermented in a bottle---usually a large container---Most Italian
Spumante, Great Western
3) Bulk--CO2 piped in--Balletore, Andre, J Roget

oups.com...

?
> > So, we know what to look for ?
> > Thanks,
> > Raz

> Sparkling. Bubbly. Fizzy. Frizzante. Carbonated. Petillant(sp?).

Posted to alt.food.wine

You are correct, of course. I was responding to the OPs question, "Is
there a term in wine that means it has carbonation ?"

Andy

Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:
> Frizzante is slightly spritzy, Spumante is Sparkling and has a sturdier
> closure.
>
> Generally there's 3 types of Sparklers
> 1) From the Champagne region in France or Method Champenois--Fermented in
> the bottle. Loire Valley, French-American ventures on the Left Coast.
> 2) Charmat--Fermented in a bottle---usually a large container---Most Italian
> Spumante, Great Western
> 3) Bulk--CO2 piped in--Balletore, Andre, J Roget
>
> "AyTee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
> > > The wife and I just tried the Sutter Home and she said it wasn't bad but

> she
> > > likes the bubbly . Is there a term in wine that means it has carbonation

> ?
> > > So, we know what to look for ?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Raz

> > Sparkling. Bubbly. Fizzy. Frizzante. Carbonated. Petillant(sp?).

Posted to alt.food.wine

How is prosecco made:

Is it method champaigne or just co2 added?

"Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" > wrote in message
. ..
> Frizzante is slightly spritzy, Spumante is Sparkling and has a sturdier
> closure.
>
> Generally there's 3 types of Sparklers
> 1) From the Champagne region in France or Method Champenois--Fermented in
> the bottle. Loire Valley, French-American ventures on the Left Coast.
> 2) Charmat--Fermented in a bottle---usually a large container---Most
> Italian
> Spumante, Great Western
> 3) Bulk--CO2 piped in--Balletore, Andre, J Roget
>
> "AyTee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
>> > The wife and I just tried the Sutter Home and she said it wasn't bad
>> > but

> she
>> > likes the bubbly . Is there a term in wine that means it has
>> > carbonation

> ?
>> > So, we know what to look for ?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Raz

>> Sparkling. Bubbly. Fizzy. Frizzante. Carbonated. Petillant(sp?).

Posted to alt.food.wine

Richard Neidich wrote:

> How is prosecco made:
>
> Is it method champaigne or just co2 added?

Methode charmat, or methode martinotti. Instead of refermenting in the
bottle (as methode champenoise) it referments in big pressure containers,
which simulate a big bottle.
It usually gives lesser quality than methode champenoise, but it's way more
natural than added CO2.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to alt.food.wine

Unless it say methodo champignois(sp) its charmat aka tranfer--clue is
phrase fermented in a bottle which I think has to be on front or back label
by ATF. You can bet anything under $8 retail or $20 in a restaurant is
bulk. Top of the line, the real deal. Some actually have frizzante version
of prosecco--it retails for almost $3 less in stores, but still $20 in a
restaurant--extra money in owner'spocket- Frizzantes need to be consumed
young.
hlink.net...