Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Dinner w/Piedmont, Santa Cruz, Burgundy, and other wines

iLast night we had dinner planned with friends; one couple cancelled in
the morning due to illness. We decided to just go with six. Then in the
afternoon the NJ couple called to say their son was running a high
fever; now we were looking at 4. But a quick phone call secured a
replacement couple, and Betsy got back to cooking.

I put out pork/port pate and some bacon/chevre/date rolls, greeting
wine was the NV Pinon Vouvray. I really love this stuff, bright and
feisty with baked apple fruit accented with lemon, and just a touch of
yeastiness. B+

Dinner was penne with a gorgonzola walnut sauce, followed by a Roman
lamb stew (lamb braised in red wine vinegar and white wine, seasoned
with rosemary and chili) and green beans with tomato and garlic; then a
mushroom/celery/Pecorino salad. All recipes from Biba Caggiano
cookbook. I put out three dinner wines, one white and two red:

2005 Pertinace Roero Arneis
Pleasant sweet pear fruit with a little grapefruit zippiness, a bit of
nut and vanilla (oaked Arneis?). OK, but why not spend the extra $5 and
get Giacosa? B

1997 Batasiolo Barberesco
Shows the strengths and weaknesses of the vintage. Plenty of ripe red
fruit, open and forward, but a bit lacking in tannic or acidic
structure. OK for a bargain Barbaresco, but nothing to look for. B

1991 Ridge Cabernet (Santa Cruz Mountains)
This would be worth looking for. Resolved tannins, big dark fruit with
a potpourri of earth, leather, flowers, and damp moss. Continues to
evolve in the glass, with cedar and mint aromas; fruit seems to
actually build with some distinct cassis character. If this is the
Santa Cruz bottling, what is the Monte Bello like? A-

Betsy served a Meyer lemon sorbet (she brought back about 40 lemons
from CA); I put out a cheese platter with Epoisses, aged Gruyere, and
Great Hill Blue. In addition to the dinner wines, a couple of 375s were
opened:

2002 Jadot "Les Chouacheux" Beaune 1er
Very tight at first, with just a hint of red berry fruit. More of a
black cherry turn with air, some mineral notes under a nice medium
bodied Burg. B+

2001 Ch. D'Aubrin Ste. Croix du Mont
Sometimes these "little" appellation stickies can be good, but this was
rather boring. Surprisingly flat acidity for a 2001 dessert Bdx, heavy
but without depth, dull. C+

Nice night, even if cast wasn't the original plan. The
psychiatrist/amateur rock drummer got some tips from the professional
jazz drummer, we all commiserated/celebrated having teens, and the dog
enjoyed her bone.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8 Jan 2007 18:55:47 -0800, "DaleW" > wrote:

>iLast night we had dinner planned with friends; one couple cancelled in
>the morning due to illness. We decided to just go with six. Then in the
>afternoon the NJ couple called to say their son was running a high
>fever; now we were looking at 4. But a quick phone call secured a
>replacement couple, and Betsy got back to cooking.
>
>I put out pork/port pate and some bacon/chevre/date rolls, greeting
>wine was the NV Pinon Vouvray. I really love this stuff, bright and
>feisty with baked apple fruit accented with lemon, and just a touch of
>yeastiness. B+
>
>Dinner was penne with a gorgonzola walnut sauce, followed by a Roman
>lamb stew (lamb braised in red wine vinegar and white wine, seasoned
>with rosemary and chili) and green beans with tomato and garlic; then a
>mushroom/celery/Pecorino salad. All recipes from Biba Caggiano
>cookbook. I put out three dinner wines, one white and two red:

That's some good sounding stuff. 'Gonna have to look for that
cookbook. Gorgonzola is one of those cheeses that seems to go with
everything, but walnuts and a dolce gorgonzola might be perfection.

>2005 Pertinace Roero Arneis
>Pleasant sweet pear fruit with a little grapefruit zippiness, a bit of
>nut and vanilla (oaked Arneis?). OK, but why not spend the extra $5 and
>get Giacosa? B
>
>1997 Batasiolo Barberesco
>Shows the strengths and weaknesses of the vintage. Plenty of ripe red
>fruit, open and forward, but a bit lacking in tannic or acidic
>structure. OK for a bargain Barbaresco, but nothing to look for. B

I've not had Batasiolo's Barberesco, but found their Barolo bottlings
to be a bit flimsy. I looked up some notes and found a couple on '98,
both of which (independently) used the term flaccid.

>1991 Ridge Cabernet (Santa Cruz Mountains)
>This would be worth looking for. Resolved tannins, big dark fruit with
>a potpourri of earth, leather, flowers, and damp moss. Continues to
>evolve in the glass, with cedar and mint aromas; fruit seems to
>actually build with some distinct cassis character. If this is the
>Santa Cruz bottling, what is the Monte Bello like? A-

As I recall, '91 was not a particularly note-worthy year for Monte
Bello. The better ones were '92, '94, '95 and '97.

I don't think Ridge has done the Santa Cruz Cabernet in regular years.
Am I wrong?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> I don't think Ridge has done the Santa Cruz Cabernet in regular years.
> Am I wrong?

I'm pretty sure you are, Ed. Ridge made one in '95 and '97-'03. I
don't know about '96, but it pretty much looks like every year for the
Sta. Cruz Mtn. bottlings.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:46:07 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>
>> I don't think Ridge has done the Santa Cruz Cabernet in regular years.
>> Am I wrong?

>I'm pretty sure you are, Ed. Ridge made one in '95 and '97-'03. I
>don't know about '96, but it pretty much looks like every year for the
>Sta. Cruz Mtn. bottlings.
>
>Mark Lipton

I'm not surprised. The zins and Monte Bello get all the glory. And
then the small volume bottlings for the ATP confuse the issue
regarding what is regular production.

Thanks for keeping me on track.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Someone has listed the Santa Cruz cab on Cellartracker for every year
in the '88-'02 stretch.