Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 13 wines for my 29th birthday

Here are some very simple notes from last Saturday night, enjoyed with
15 of my best friends, who possess highly varying levels of wine
knowledge. Each was instructed to bring either wine or food, and for
the most part we tried our best to plan out the flights and pair things
with each other after everyone arrived. Some brought both.

Most importantly, everybody had a really, really good time.

With assorted Italian cheeses (Fontina Val d'Aosta, Aged Provolone,
Montegrappa, and Gorgonzola Dolce), Cheese-Fociacca and Italian bread
with garlic/olive oil dip, and balsamic vinegar dip, Prosciutto and
mozarella rolls, and Prosciutto cups filled with feta cheese and
spinach:

Rive Della Chiesa Prosecco, NV - "Smooth, smallish bubbles, bready and
yeasty, and yet still not bone dry. Excellent prosecco!" - B+

2005 Avanti Pinot Griggio - "Buttery - oak/malolactic? Smooth with a
fairly full mouthfeel, good but not as bright as I'm used to. Too
Californian and not enough fruit. C+

2005 Pino & Toi Maculan, Veneto - "A bit chard like, somewhat soft, but
w/good fruit and good acidity. Flavors were simple and subtle though,
so it was hard to put a finger on this one." B

With pork stuffed tomatoes, Italian bread Bruschetta, and of course the
cheeses, breads, and dips from above:

2002 Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva - "Big complex nose, w/oak and dark
red fruit. Slightly phenolic. Medium-full in mouth, complex berry
notes, great fruit, medium finish. Very pleasant" B

2004 Banfi Rosso di Montalcino - "Big nose, more complex than the C.C.
Also a darker ruby color. Slightly hotter than the above, well resolved
silky tannin, with a complex cedar and red berry flavor and a lingering
finish. Great stuff." B+

Served with the remnants of the food above, while Bert and I were busy
cooking:

2003 Ca' La Bionda Valpolicella Classico Superiore - "Red fruit and oak
on nose. I have NOTHING to compare this to. I like it though, good ref
fruit and easy finish. Pleasant." B

Served with my very well executed Brasato el Barolo (4.7lb sirloin tip
roast marinated overnight in a bottle of Barbera, celery, carrots,
thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cooked in the same, with the
sediment pour from the Barolo as well, olive oil, and butter. Braised
for 3.25 hours. On the side, a fantastic mushroom risotto from Bert:

1996 Germano Ettore Barolo Prapo - "Smelled exactly like a freshly
tarred roof when opened. Tasted bitter and astringent on opening,
decided to decant. Decanted 3.5 hours. Lots of sediment, that went into
the roast after decanting off. When served, HUGE nose of tar and
massive amounts of lighter red fruits (cherry, strawberry, etc).
Fantastic depth and complexity, silky, elegant structure, and excellent
length. Absolutely fantastic stuff, but I can't really compare this to
other Barolos...yet." A-

1998 Nicolis Amarone Classico - "Very concentrated, raisinated nose
with huge concentration. Very concentrated but well integrated red
fruit. VERY long finish, goes on and on...fascinating and awesome! I
look forward to trying others." A-

Served by itself, more or less, as a pre-dessert dessert wine:

NV Scagliola Brachetto d'Acqui - "Sweet, slightly tannic, good acidity,
fun, rather simple but well made. Eerily similar to black muscat, but
with bubbles." - B+

With almond biscotti (but not dipped!):

1999 Capezzana Vin Santo di Carignano Riserva - "Oaky, cognac-like
nose, taste was a bit of Oloroso sherry with a touch of Bual Madiera.
Great bright acidity, nice finish, probably the best vin santo that
I've had." B+

Then once we'd gone through all the Italian wines, some people were
craving more, so I raided the cellar for:

2004 Heron Pinot Noir - good QPR Vin de Pays d'Oc PN. B

2001 Nelson Estates Cabernet Franc (which was spectacular -
concentrated, rich, structured, and complex, with a fantastic, long
finish!) A

2003 Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon - probably good but certainly not
after the stunning Nelson Estate Cab Franc! Hard to rate, my palatte
was more or less destroyed by this time, but it was definitely a much
lesser wine than the Nelson. B?

- Chris

PS - sorry to DaleW for ripping off his grading system.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Happy Birthday, way to celebrate!
The '96 Barolo sounds pretty typical, great vintage that needs time (or
decanting).
Great notes, thanks.
Dale
PS No ripoff involved, I certainly didn't invent letter grades!

Chris Sprague wrote:
> [...]
> nose, taste was a bit of Oloroso sherry with a touch of Bual Madiera.
> Great bright acidity, nice finish, probably the best vin santo that
> I've had." B+
>
> Then once we'd gone through all the Italian wines, some people were
> craving more, so I raided the cellar for:
>
> 2004 Heron Pinot Noir - good QPR Vin de Pays d'Oc PN. B
>
> 2001 Nelson Estates Cabernet Franc (which was spectacular -
> concentrated, rich, structured, and complex, with a fantastic, long
> finish!) A
>
> 2003 Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon - probably good but certainly not
> after the stunning Nelson Estate Cab Franc! Hard to rate, my palatte
> was more or less destroyed by this time, but it was definitely a much
> lesser wine than the Nelson. B?
>
> - Chris
>
> PS - sorry to DaleW for ripping off his grading system.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Happy Birthday, way to celebrate!
> The '96 Barolo sounds pretty typical, great vintage that needs time (or
> decanting).
> Great notes, thanks.
> Dale
> PS No ripoff involved, I certainly didn't invent letter grades!

By the way, you'd be pleased to know that I used the Brasato recipe you
mentioned in Biba Caggiano's "Northern Italian Cooking." And I have a
somewhat funny story to relate regarding that.

When I started the simmer, I covered the casserole as directed, and
periodically turned over and basted the roast. About 25 minutes into
it, when I took the cover off, the sheer power from the fumes of all
the ethanol that had collected and condensed onto the bottom of the lid
just about knocked me out, and literally gave me a burning sensation in
the far back of my throat where the nasal passages are. If making this
again, I'll start it out uncovered for a bit...

- Chris

TN: Birthday and other wines- GV, Bdx, Burgs, Beaujolais, etc DaleW Wine 2 08-10-2015 09:20 PM
Birthday Wines Bill S. Wine 0 23-01-2011 05:46 PM
[TN] Birthday wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 28-07-2008 08:51 PM
TN - Birthday wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 08-06-2007 10:11 PM
TN: Birthday Wines Dale Williams Wine 2 06-10-2003 01:05 PM