Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Back to NY wines (Ste Colombe, Copain, Tue-Boeuf, etc)

Thursday I got home rather late from airport (Betsy went from GA to CA
to visit her parents), too tired to cook I stole one of David's frozen
pizzas, a Trader Joes with red peppers, olves, and feta -not too bad,,
actually. I opened a bottle of the 2004 Manciat "Franclieu"
Macon-Charnay. I've really liked this bottle in the past, but this
seemed a bit muted. Good acidity, ok white fruit, but just doesn't seem
to come together. I don't like it any better on day 2 or 3, nothing
perceptibly flawed, but nowhere near as good as two previous bottles.
TCA under my threshold? B- for this bottle.

As I wasn't really getting into the white, I opened a red, the 2005
Clos du Tue-Boeuf Chevrney. Tight at first, then rather expansive. Fine
sharp acids, bright red fruit sprinkled with pepper. Loamy earth aromas
and a touch of herbs. Light, but quite refreshing, reminds me a bit of
an excellent Bourgogne Passetoutgrains. B+

Friday after work I took the dog home and fed her, then over to a
friend's birthday party. I got there too late for her husband's concert
(he's no pro, but it's what she wanted for her birthday), but in plenty
of time for a bunch of party nibbles and some wine:

2000 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon)
Round red currant and red plum fruit, light tannins, a touch of earth,
clean finish. Not especially complex, but as Marc says "all you could
want in a $9 Bordeaux". B+/B

2002 Goats do Roam (red)
Others liked this better than I did, I found it a little tired. Still,
a decent Rhone pretender, with some spice notes over ripe red fruit.
B/B-

2005 Copain "L'automne" Pinot Noir
I had quite liked this before, but this bottle seems sweeter. A little
too ripe for my tastes, though others liked a lot. Not the acidic
balance I remembered, a mild disappointment. B/B-

NV Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne
Better than the last bottle I had of this, but that's not saying much.
I used to find this wine a value, but recent tastes have seemed
somewhat short and coarse. This is a bit better, with nice apple pie
fruit and toast/yeast notes, but still not much of a finish. B

Nice party. I walked home (I felt clearheaded, but that's not a good
barometer) and retried the Cheverny (hip hip hurrah) and the
Macon-Charnay (yawn).

TN: wines back at home- French, Spanish, and US Bi!! Wine 1 20-07-2011 08:18 PM
Joe Colombe aem General Cooking 2 07-05-2011 07:05 PM
[TN] '07 Copain PN Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 03-05-2010 08:55 PM
TN: BV, Sandro Fay, Ste Colombe DaleW Wine 0 24-05-2008 08:14 PM
TN: '99 Ste. Colombe (CdC) Dale Williams Wine 2 08-10-2003 02:59 AM