FoodBanter.com

-   -   2002 Leoville Barton (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/111097-2002-leoville-barton.html)

[email protected] 27-12-2006 09:39 PM

2002 Leoville Barton

I saw a 2002 Leoville Barton offered at $54.00 per bottle at a local
wine shop. How is the 2002 vintage and is this a good price? I have
also seen the 2003 Leoville Barton priced at $170. I wonder if there
is that much difference in the vintages or is this the result of the
weak dollar?

DaleW 27-12-2006 09:59 PM

2002 Leoville Barton

I thought the '02 Barton was a nice wine, though a bit stern, I'm
putting mine away for a long sleep. The '03 is a much more fleshy wine,
that got big scores from WA & WS (98 in case of latter, I believe).

Dollar was stronger when '02 campaign started, volume was higher,
critcial buzz was lower.
I paid about $30 on futures for '02, $44 for '03. High scores for '03
drove prices up, now more like $150

$54 seems stiff for '02, plenty of places have for $40-45. If you pay
sales tax on local purchases, shipping would be less than tax for a few
bottles.
'
HTH,Dale

Santiago[_1_] 27-12-2006 11:13 PM

2002 Leoville Barton

"DaleW" > wrote in news:1167256783.198022.240910@
48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

> $54 seems stiff for '02, plenty of places have for $40-45. If you pay
> sales tax on local purchases, shipping would be less than tax for a few
> bottles.

I paid 35 euros for the 2002 when a local retailer offered a promotion, 51
euros for the 2001 and 42 euros for the 2003 at a big spanish chain of
department stores. The 2003 seems to be the best deal of all, though I have
gone through three bottles of the 2001 and it was drinking so well one year
ago.

My very limited experience with Leoville Barton says that it always needs
time. When in great vintages, luscious fruit allows to drink young (in
fact, many spanish wanna-be wines have stronger tannins than Leoville
Barton 2001) even if there is a tannic structure.

S.

[email protected] 01-01-2007 03:30 AM

2002 Leoville Barton

At Garagiste's 2002 Bdx tasting in July '05, the Leoville Barton was
voted 6th best overall of the 16 wines we tasted. That's not a bad
showing for a vintage that was less than heralded. The overall top
five we

1. Pape Clement
2. Mouton Rothschild
3. Latour
4. Osoyoos-Larose (a ringer from BC)
5. Palmer

My abbreviated notes from that tasting for the Barton say, "very light
nose, no oak, closed, not much flavor, tannic."

My top five we

1. Mouton
2. Lynch Bages
3. Pichon Lalande
4. Pape Clement
5. Cheval Blanc, in a virtual tie with the Osoyoos-Larose

I bought Mouton and Osoyoos-Larose. Osoyoos has held steady around
$30-35 the last couple vintages, but the '03's have gotten too pricey
for me.

JJ

JJ

On 27 Dec 2006 13:39:48 -0800, "