Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue

Wednesday was spaghetti with a Bolognese sauce, wine was the 2004
Viticcio "Amore" Chianti Classico. I did not find myself enamored with
Amore. Ok bitter cherry fruit, hint of wood, moderate acidity; the wine
seemed to lack depth and length. Alright, but there are better Chiantis
out there for $10-12. B-

Thursday we were having our nuclear family holiday dinner (David and
his girlfriend were leaving Friday for his dad's in Denmark), Betsy
made one of his favorites, beef jantaboon. I started by opening the
2006 Mionetto Novello that someone had left as a hostess gift, but by
time the menorah candles were lit I excused myself to grab another
bottle. The Novello was as expected grapey, but even by nouveau
standards I couldn't recommend this. Reminded me of grape jelly in a
glass. C-
The replacement was the 1999 Guy Castagnier Chambolle-Musigny.
Medium-bodied with a sense of delicacy though not frail, black and red
cherry fruit with soil and floral perfume notes. Not enough
concentration to be great, but a satisfying Chambolle from a producer
who is usually very well-priced. B+/B

Last night we attended a big holiday party at some friends' house. A
great spread of fondue, cured meats, salad, and more; we contributed
some gravlax canapes and bacon/chevre/date rolls. Lots of wines were
sampled:

Whites:
2005 Mardon "Tres VV" Quincy
Quite grassy, with forward gooseberry and citrus fruit. Good acidity, a
bit of flint, nice. B/B+

2005 Pierre Boniface Apremont (Savoie)
The classic fondue match. Light, sprightly, not complex but a bright
accompaniment to the cheese. Good value. B

2003 Bovard "Terre a Boire" Epesses
Swiss - is this Chasselas? Very light, a bit unripe. I'm a fan of light
sprightly wines but this flavor profile doesn't appeal to me, it seems
a little shrill. B-

There also a forgettable Macon and a decent Alsace Riesling, but I have
forgotten producers. Never made it to the Dr L Riesling.

Reds
2005 Clos Roche Blanche Cabernet (Touraine)
Im really like this wine. Warm red fruit buoyed by bright acidity, nice
herb/humidor accents and just a hint of green pepper. Medium-bodied,
fun and tasty. B+

1979 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux)
After really enjoying a bottle of this earlier this year, I put in some
lowball bids on a few bottles of these last month and won. Good fill
level (better than my earlier bottle), but always some trepidation with
first bottle of an auction group. Hey, this seems fine. Plenty of
cassis fruit, with cigarbox and loads of damp earth. Good finish, a
major hit with all who tried. A-

2004 Tyrrell's Lost Block Pinot Noir
This could stay lost as far as I'm concerned. Thin, sweet edged and
with a vanilla note that seems oak-chippy to me. C+

2004 Groffier Bourgogne
I was glad to taste this as I have some waiting on Long Island. While
the higher-end Groffier Burgundies often seem too oaky and extracted to
me, I have enjoyed the Bourgogne in the past. I'm a little disappointed
at first, this seems oaky. But as I nurse the glass the oak seems
better integrated, blending with the rather brawny red berry fruit and
adding some rather Dujac-like spice. It never seems to *totally*
integrate, however, and I find it acceptable rather than exciting. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Reds
> 2005 Clos Roche Blanche Cabernet (Touraine)
> Im really like this wine. Warm red fruit buoyed by bright acidity, nice
> herb/humidor accents and just a hint of green pepper. Medium-bodied,
> fun and tasty. B+

Fun and tasty indeed! I opened a bottle of this for our annual Xmas
party and forgot to post notes about it. It started off tight, bright
and promising, but rounded out with air and gained lots of
herbaceousness (not a negative in my lexicon) and depth of fruit. I
think that it'll get better with a bit more age.

Merry Christmas!
Mark Lipton