Old 19-12-2006, 02:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Annual "What's everybody planning to drink for Christmas dinner?" post

Well?

As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
contenders:

2004 Duckhorn Decoy
2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
1998 Chateau Meyney
2000 Chateau Meyney
2001 Chateau Gloria

Kind of a sad list of ready-to-drink wines I have, I suppose. The next
few years should be a lot more interesting, when some of the bigger
stuff I have down there should start coming into maturity, including
some 1999 Poggio Antico Altero, 2001 DVT, 2002 Caymus Cab, and a 1999
Penfolds RWT (recently picked up for $56!).

Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
report back

How about the rest of you?

- Chris

Old 19-12-2006, 04:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Chris Sprague wrote:
Well?

As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
contenders:

Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
report back

How about the rest of you?

- Chris

Modest describes our normal Christmas fare as I generally don't like to
share the "good stuff" with those who don't appreciate. At the same time
I am not serving Screaming Blue Kookaberra Oak Chip Reserve NV just
cause it has a pretty bottle and a cute little thing sampling it at the
grocery. Therefore it shall be a 2000 Marquis de Caceras Rioja Reserva
with a Pork Tenderloin.

Old 19-12-2006, 04:41 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 19 Dec 2006 06:56:00 -0800, "Chris Sprague"
wrote:

Well?

As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
contenders:

2004 Duckhorn Decoy
2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
1998 Chateau Meyney
2000 Chateau Meyney
2001 Chateau Gloria

SWMBO has set the main course as filet mignon stuffed with shrimp (a
great recipe that is much better than it sounds in that brief phrase).
Not yet sure what the accompaniments will be.

Contenders for the top line on the wine list right now a

1995 Ridge Monte Bello
2004 Williams Selyem Westside Neighbors PN
2003 Justin Isoceles

As an aside, I opened a 2001 Pontet-Canet the night before last and
was surprised at the drinkability. It was reported as a good year when
I bought a half-case and I had thought it wouldn't start showing so
well for at least another three or four years. I suspect mine might
not last that long in my cellar.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old 19-12-2006, 06:49 PM posted to alt.food.wine

We are gong by some friends for rack of lamb.

I am planning on 2003 Behrens & Hitchcock Syrah, or possibly 2003
Neyers Syrah. Both California offerings. It will be a small dinner
with 4 attendees.

In the past, especially with guests that were not into wine, the Los
Vascos Reserve was always a great value for the money and received
plenty of accolades.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!

Claudio

Old 19-12-2006, 07:59 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 19 Dec 2006 06:56:00 -0800, "Chris Sprague"
wrote:

Well?

I need to go check the cellar but current plans a

Champagne Cocktails
Veuve Cliquot NV
???
Blaauwklippen 1998 Special Late Harvest Chenin Blanc

The first two are decided upon. My problem with the Chenin Blanc is
that I've only got a 750 and that's probably too much. I might just
nip out and see what pudding wines I can get locally (there's usually
a moderately decent selection).

As for the main course wine, roast duck with an apricot stuffing and
me with a lack of decent burgundy in the house :-(

It might be another last minute hunt.

Of course given the good reports on 2001 claret I might just open some
Grand-Puy-Lacoste and leave the duck to fend for itself.

James
James Dempster

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
Old 20-12-2006, 06:23 AM posted to alt.food.wine

"Chris Sprague" asked.....

"What's everybody planning to drink for Christmas dinner?"

Of course, while all you northern hemisphericans shiver your collective
butts in winter, we antipodeans will spend the day at the beach - enjoying
an al fresco luncheon complete with sun, surf and sand.

So, salads, cold cuts of ham and chicken accompanied by anything crisp and
cold (Marlborough Sauvignon or Riesling - and even an inexpensive Chardonnay
/ Pinot bubbly sounds like the order of the day) - the weather report says
cloudless skies and temperatures around that 25degrC - it is so tough at
the bottom!!!

New Years Eve has always been our primary celebration - this year the
theme is seafood and Champagne.

Oysters, scallops, smoked marlin, NZ rock lobster etc will feature - with
the following champagnes -

1976 Krug
1979 Bollinger RD
1985 Pol Roger "Winston Churchill"
1985 Roederer Cristal
1990 Laurent-Perrier "Alexandra" Rose
1990 Laurent-Perrier "Grand Siecle La Lumiere du Millenaire"
1990 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame Rosé"

together with a selection of vintages and NV.

What a way to start 2007!!!

--

st.helier

Old 20-12-2006, 01:33 PM posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

Oysters, scallops, smoked marlin, NZ rock lobster etc will feature - with
the following champagnes -

1976 Krug
1979 Bollinger RD
1985 Pol Roger "Winston Churchill"
1985 Roederer Cristal
1990 Laurent-Perrier "Alexandra" Rose
1990 Laurent-Perrier "Grand Siecle La Lumiere du Millenaire"
1990 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame Rosé"

together with a selection of vintages and NV.

What a way to start 2007!!!

--

st.helier

Sounds tough not to mention you get a head start on the whole process.
And, yes, I know I NEED to be there . . .
Old 20-12-2006, 02:35 PM posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

New Years Eve has always been our primary celebration - this year the
theme is seafood and Champagne.

Like that's different from any other New Year's... harrummphh. Great
lineup of bubbly, milud. Enjoy!

Mark Lipton
Old 20-12-2006, 07:27 PM posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

As for me the children "drink" wine with a beer to start and as beer
chasers....where did I go wrong ? ;-(

here's the plan

A typical British Christmas Day
Bracing walk followed by smoked salmon blinis and various canapes and
Tesco's house champagne.

more simple salmon with Ch Guiraud Sec 2005

roast beef and all the trimmings with Caronne St Gemmes 2001 ( magnum)

Creme brulee with Liot 2003

then in evening perhaps Angludet 1999, between memsahib and myself and then
a wee dram of Glenlivet.

A merry Christmas to all you afwers

JT

Old 20-12-2006, 09:10 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Hello,
Starting with humble fizz, name of which I remember not but purveyed by our
neighbours, the GWI.
Going on with Chablis 1986 Dom de Vauroux in magnum
With ham marinated in red wine, Chapoutier's Rasteau 2004 (with possibility
of 1997 Ch de Haux, a small East coaster, also in magnum)
With cheese, 1992er Niersteiner Pettenthal Riesling Auslese
Finishing off with a monastrell based Spanish sticky, Castaño Dulce 2003.
After that, it's every man for himself except Christina who, of course, is a
lady, and PLEASE don't touch the Chambolle Musigny.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Old 20-12-2006, 11:02 PM posted to alt.food.wine

See below for what I'm eating with my chianti & fava beans: This is in no
way politically correct.

You all must have missed the release of "Protocol of The Elders of
Zion-Redux" with a Forward by Mel Gibson. In it Channukah is labeled a
"fantasy holiday" begun to keep seasonal money in the Jewish community,
Judah Macabbee was created by Shalom Alechem and actually the Temple in
Judea liberated was long abandoned and used by Eunuchs for their rites of
kvetching. The design of the dreidal was stolen from a Persian fertility
talisman and like Passover Jews observe the holiday by dining on a young
lady gentile who was eviscerated and served with a mango salsa and an
horseradish infusion. Latkes are served on the side but created out of a
flattened pirogue or blini. I understand there will be a Cliff notes version
out soon and Wal-Mart has exclusive rights for the Middle East.

ps.com...

Old 21-12-2006, 08:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"JT" skrev i meddelandet
.uk...

then in evening perhaps Angludet 1999, between memsahib and myself

Angludet '99 ready to drink? I have bottle ... only one ...
Cheers
Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Old 21-12-2006, 11:49 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"Chris Sprague" wrote in
ps.com:

As I will still be playing bachelor-gal and the far-flung family will
remain so, and am only making a little bit of ham and something, I reckon I
will have either my fave Mumm Napa Blanc de Noirs, yes! USD16.99! or Henri
Abele because USD17.99 Champagne doesn't come around often enough, or a
Faiveley Mercurey, uh, 2003, which was CHEEEP too.
Next year, tho'...
d.
--
As a public service, the link to the alt.food.wine FAQ:
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/
Old 21-12-2006, 11:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine

For me and mine: Homemade is what I will serve.

Pinot Noir
Pinot Gris
Cranberry
Sparkling white w/mango orange juice (Mimosa?)
Cranberry Shiraz (for those with a sweet tooth)

I confess my vintage is not as impressive as most.

DAve