Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Annual "What's everybody planning to drink for Christmas dinner?" post

Well?

As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
contenders:

2004 Duckhorn Decoy
2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
1998 Chateau Meyney
2000 Chateau Meyney
2001 Chateau Gloria

Kind of a sad list of ready-to-drink wines I have, I suppose. The next
few years should be a lot more interesting, when some of the bigger
stuff I have down there should start coming into maturity, including
some 1999 Poggio Antico Altero, 2001 DVT, 2002 Caymus Cab, and a 1999
Penfolds RWT (recently picked up for $56!).

Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
report back

How about the rest of you?

- Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

Chris Sprague wrote:
> Well?
>
> As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
> Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
> that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
> contenders:

> Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
> report back
>
> How about the rest of you?
>
> - Chris

Modest describes our normal Christmas fare as I generally don't like to
share the "good stuff" with those who don't appreciate. At the same time
I am not serving Screaming Blue Kookaberra Oak Chip Reserve NV just
cause it has a pretty bottle and a cute little thing sampling it at the
grocery. Therefore it shall be a 2000 Marquis de Caceras Rioja Reserva
with a Pork Tenderloin.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I'll probably pop a bottle or two of Rene Geoffroy Rose Champagne. I
like it with VIrginia ham.

On Dec 19, 9:56*am, "Chris Sprague" > wrote:
> Well?
>
> As for me, I can't quite decide. *Last year it was a bottle of 2001
> Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
> that is ready to drink. *Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
> contenders:
>
> 2004 Duckhorn Decoy
> 2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
> 2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
> 1998 Chateau Meyney
> 2000 Chateau Meyney
> 2001 Chateau Gloria
>
> Kind of a sad list of ready-to-drink wines I have, I suppose. *The next
> few years should be a lot more interesting, when some of the bigger
> stuff I have down there should start coming into maturity, including
> some 1999 Poggio Antico Altero, 2001 DVT, 2002 Caymus Cab, and a 1999
> Penfolds RWT (recently picked up for $56!).
>
> Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
> report back
>
> How about the rest of you?
>
> - Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 19 Dec 2006 06:56:00 -0800, "Chris Sprague" >
wrote:

>Well?
>
>As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
>Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
>that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
>contenders:
>
>2004 Duckhorn Decoy
>2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
>2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
>1998 Chateau Meyney
>2000 Chateau Meyney
>2001 Chateau Gloria

SWMBO has set the main course as filet mignon stuffed with shrimp (a
great recipe that is much better than it sounds in that brief phrase).
Not yet sure what the accompaniments will be.

Contenders for the top line on the wine list right now a

1995 Ridge Monte Bello
2004 Williams Selyem Westside Neighbors PN
2003 Justin Isoceles

As an aside, I opened a 2001 Pontet-Canet the night before last and
was surprised at the drinkability. It was reported as a good year when
I bought a half-case and I had thought it wouldn't start showing so
well for at least another three or four years. I suspect mine might
not last that long in my cellar.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

We are gong by some friends for rack of lamb.

I am planning on 2003 Behrens & Hitchcock Syrah, or possibly 2003
Neyers Syrah. Both California offerings. It will be a small dinner
with 4 attendees.

In the past, especially with guests that were not into wine, the Los
Vascos Reserve was always a great value for the money and received
plenty of accolades.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!

Claudio

Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:

>Well?

I need to go check the cellar but current plans a

Champagne Cocktails
Veuve Cliquot NV
???
Blaauwklippen 1998 Special Late Harvest Chenin Blanc

The first two are decided upon. My problem with the Chenin Blanc is
that I've only got a 750 and that's probably too much. I might just
nip out and see what pudding wines I can get locally (there's usually
a moderately decent selection).

As for the main course wine, roast duck with an apricot stuffing and
me with a lack of decent burgundy in the house :-(

It might be another last minute hunt.

Of course given the good reports on 2001 claret I might just open some
Grand-Puy-Lacoste and leave the duck to fend for itself.

James
James Dempster

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Chris Sprague" asked.....

"What's everybody planning to drink for Christmas dinner?"

Of course, while all you northern hemisphericans shiver your collective
butts in winter, we antipodeans will spend the day at the beach - enjoying
an al fresco luncheon complete with sun, surf and sand.

So, salads, cold cuts of ham and chicken accompanied by anything crisp and
cold (Marlborough Sauvignon or Riesling - and even an inexpensive Chardonnay
/ Pinot bubbly sounds like the order of the day) - the weather report says
cloudless skies and temperatures around that 25degrC - it is so tough at
the bottom!!!

New Years Eve has always been our primary celebration - this year the
theme is seafood and Champagne.

Oysters, scallops, smoked marlin, NZ rock lobster etc will feature - with
the following champagnes -

1976 Krug
1979 Bollinger RD
1985 Pol Roger "Winston Churchill"
1985 Roederer Cristal
1990 Laurent-Perrier "Alexandra" Rose
1990 Laurent-Perrier "Grand Siecle La Lumiere du Millenaire"
1990 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame Rosé"

together with a selection of vintages and NV.

What a way to start 2007!!!

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

> Oysters, scallops, smoked marlin, NZ rock lobster etc will feature - with
> the following champagnes -
>
> 1976 Krug
> 1979 Bollinger RD
> 1985 Pol Roger "Winston Churchill"
> 1985 Roederer Cristal
> 1990 Laurent-Perrier "Alexandra" Rose
> 1990 Laurent-Perrier "Grand Siecle La Lumiere du Millenaire"
> 1990 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame Rosé"
>
> together with a selection of vintages and NV.
>
> What a way to start 2007!!!
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Sounds tough not to mention you get a head start on the whole process.
And, yes, I know I NEED to be there . . .
Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

> New Years Eve has always been our primary celebration - this year the
> theme is seafood and Champagne.

Like that's different from any other New Year's... harrummphh. Great
lineup of bubbly, milud. Enjoy!

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

As for me the children "drink" wine with a beer to start and as beer
chasers....where did I go wrong ? ;-(

here's the plan

A typical British Christmas Day
Bracing walk followed by smoked salmon blinis and various canapes and
Tesco's house champagne.

more simple salmon with Ch Guiraud Sec 2005

roast beef and all the trimmings with Caronne St Gemmes 2001 ( magnum)

Creme brulee with Liot 2003

then in evening perhaps Angludet 1999, between memsahib and myself and then
a wee dram of Glenlivet.

A merry Christmas to all you afwers

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello,
Starting with humble fizz, name of which I remember not but purveyed by our
neighbours, the GWI.
Going on with Chablis 1986 Dom de Vauroux in magnum
With ham marinated in red wine, Chapoutier's Rasteau 2004 (with possibility
of 1997 Ch de Haux, a small East coaster, also in magnum)
With cheese, 1992er Niersteiner Pettenthal Riesling Auslese
Finishing off with a monastrell based Spanish sticky, Castaño Dulce 2003.
After that, it's every man for himself except Christina who, of course, is a
lady, and PLEASE don't touch the Chambolle Musigny.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

See below for what I'm eating with my chianti & fava beans: This is in no
way politically correct.

You all must have missed the release of "Protocol of The Elders of
Zion-Redux" with a Forward by Mel Gibson. In it Channukah is labeled a
"fantasy holiday" begun to keep seasonal money in the Jewish community,
Judah Macabbee was created by Shalom Alechem and actually the Temple in
Judea liberated was long abandoned and used by Eunuchs for their rites of
kvetching. The design of the dreidal was stolen from a Persian fertility
talisman and like Passover Jews observe the holiday by dining on a young
lady gentile who was eviscerated and served with a mango salsa and an
horseradish infusion. Latkes are served on the side but created out of a
flattened pirogue or blini. I understand there will be a Cliff notes version
out soon and Wal-Mart has exclusive rights for the Middle East.

"Chris Sprague" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Well?
>
> As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
> Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
> that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
> contenders:
>
> 2004 Duckhorn Decoy
> 2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
> 2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
> 1998 Chateau Meyney
> 2000 Chateau Meyney
> 2001 Chateau Gloria
>
> Kind of a sad list of ready-to-drink wines I have, I suppose. The next
> few years should be a lot more interesting, when some of the bigger
> stuff I have down there should start coming into maturity, including
> some 1999 Poggio Antico Altero, 2001 DVT, 2002 Caymus Cab, and a 1999
> Penfolds RWT (recently picked up for $56!).
>
> Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
> report back
>
> How about the rest of you?
>
> - Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

"JT" > skrev i meddelandet
.uk...

> then in evening perhaps Angludet 1999, between memsahib and myself

Angludet '99 ready to drink? I have bottle ... only one ...
Cheers
Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Chris Sprague" > wrote in
ps.com:

As I will still be playing bachelor-gal and the far-flung family will
remain so, and am only making a little bit of ham and something, I reckon I
will have either my fave Mumm Napa Blanc de Noirs, yes! USD16.99! or Henri
Abele because USD17.99 Champagne doesn't come around often enough, or a
Faiveley Mercurey, uh, 2003, which was CHEEEP too.
Next year, tho'...
d.
--
As a public service, the link to the alt.food.wine FAQ:
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/
Posted to alt.food.wine

For me and mine: Homemade is what I will serve.

Pinot Noir
Pinot Gris
Cranberry
Sparkling white w/mango orange juice (Mimosa?)
Cranberry Shiraz (for those with a sweet tooth)

I confess my vintage is not as impressive as most.

DAve

Chris Sprague wrote:
> Well?
>
> As for me, I can't quite decide. Last year it was a bottle of 2001
> Justin Isosceles, but this year I honestly don't have anything great
> that is ready to drink. Of what I do have, here are the (modest)
> contenders:
>
> 2004 Duckhorn Decoy
> 2001 Nelson Estate Cabernet Franc
> 2002 Los Vascos Colchagua Reserve
> 1998 Chateau Meyney
> 2000 Chateau Meyney
> 2001 Chateau Gloria
>
> Kind of a sad list of ready-to-drink wines I have, I suppose. The next
> few years should be a lot more interesting, when some of the bigger
> stuff I have down there should start coming into maturity, including
> some 1999 Poggio Antico Altero, 2001 DVT, 2002 Caymus Cab, and a 1999
> Penfolds RWT (recently picked up for $56!).
>
> Whatever I end up drinking, humble though it probably will be, I'll
> report back
>
> How about the rest of you?
>
> - Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

> How about the rest of you?

Ridge Monte Bello '99
Turley "Presenti" '03
Oremus Tokaji Aszu (5 puttonyos) '99

Andrew.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I have to make the decision as to whether to go through the hassle of
carrying wine on plane. With presents we have full suitcases, but I
could fit in a styro shipper. Will find out whether roast beast ('94 BV
Georges de LaTour?) or something lighter ('00 Lafarge VS?) is on menu.
But might just decide to do potluck with whatever my brother brings
(Dad is strictly supermarket wines).

Going to a party tonight, 20+ adults, not usually what I bring heavy
hitters to (nothing sadder than finding a bottle drained before you
even got a sip), butmaybe if I decide to not carry wine to GA I'll
splrge a little.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:10:58 -0000, Andrew Haley
> wrote:

>> How about the rest of you?

>Ridge Monte Bello '99
>Turley "Presenti" '03
>Oremus Tokaji Aszu (5 puttonyos) '99
>
>Andrew.

Stop before it's too late....a '99 Monte Bello is too young to die.

But, the zin should be a mouthful.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

FWIW, my last trip with wine was a disaster. You cannot carry it on.
It must be checked. I had it in styro shippers. They opened the
shippers and opened and drained the wine. When I complained at the
Delta baggage claim counter they told me that for security purposes
they could basically do what they want and they would not honor a claim
for the value of the wine. The wine was moderate priced stuff but the
principal really ticked me off.

On Dec 22, 8:05*am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> I have to make the decision as to whether to go through the hassle of
> carrying wine on plane. With presents we have full suitcases, but I
> could fit in a styro shipper. Will find out whether roast beast ('94 BV
> Georges de LaTour?) or something lighter ('00 Lafarge VS?) is on menu.
> But might just decide to do potluck with whatever my brother brings
> (Dad is strictly supermarket wines).
>
> Going to a party tonight, 20+ adults, not usually what I bring heavy
> hitters to (nothing sadder than finding a bottle drained before you
> even got a sip), butmaybe if I decide to not carry wine to GA I'll
> splrge a little.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:
> FWIW, my last trip with wine was a disaster. You cannot carry it on.
> It must be checked. I had it in styro shippers. They opened the
> shippers and opened and drained the wine. When I complained at the
> Delta baggage claim counter they told me that for security purposes
> they could basically do what they want and they would not honor a claim
> for the value of the wine. The wine was moderate priced stuff but the
> principal really ticked me off.

Had that been me I would not have stopped at the baggage claim counter.
That is intentional destruction of your personal property, and demands
compensation. Did you try to push this issue further up the chain of
command? Simply outrageous.

When I was traveling in Italy a few years ago, I got dropped off in
Verona when the train service went on strike. The next day, the wanted
me to buy a new ticket for the remainer of my journey, since I had a
Euro-pass and had the last travel day punched when I boarded the train
that stopped in Verona instead of at it's destination (Monaco). I was
understandably furious - polite at first though, incapable of believing
that someone would both understand what was going on AND try to make be
buy another ticket. Surely the lady at the booth just needed it
explained more clearly.

Well it became more clear that she was just being obtuse, even
suggesting that I was in Verona instead of Monaco because I *wanted* to
be in Verona, not because, well, that's where the train dropped us off
when they went on strike. I'm sure many patrons who were in the Verona
train station on the evening of February 18th, 1999 remember what
happened next to this day. It must have been amusing to see an
American college kid screaming through a ticket window in French (the
only language the clerk and I knew in common) going on and on about
"Non, j'y suis a cause de cette p*tain de grève!", and so on.
Eventually she pulled the blind down, and a security guard came down to
make sure everything was OK (it was, I just mad - he was merely there
to observe). Then a manager came down, and mediated. After explaining
my case to him, he immediately understood and issued me a voucher for
the remainder of my trip to Monaco, gratis.

It wasn't the most graceful way to do it (it didn't help that I hadn't
slept much in almost a week by that point, making my temper rather
short), but I did push the issue, an obvious injustice, to a higher
level, and won.

- Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:10:58 -0000, Andrew Haley
> > wrote:

>>> How about the rest of you?

>>Ridge Monte Bello '99
>>Turley "Presenti" '03
>>Oremus Tokaji Aszu (5 puttonyos) '99

> Stop before it's too late....a '99 Monte Bello is too young to die.

Hey, I'm quite confident that it will improve, but I want to see how
it's getting along. It's surely worth opening one bottle to fond out.

> But, the zin should be a mouthful.

It is; I opened one the other day.

Andrew.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 19 Dec 2006 06:56:00 -0800
"Chris Sprague" > wrote:

> Well?

[]

> How about the rest of you?

As usual I leave these decisions for the last minute.

1999 Jasnières, Aubert La Chapelle (Aubert) Cuvée Prestige demi-sec

With foie gras (canard) from down the road.

1982 Ch. Gloria (time to euthanize the old girl)

With standing rib roast of local beef, yorkshire pud, chestnuts and sprouts.

Taylor 10 yr Tawny with Adele's chocolate Buche.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

Christmas dinner will be Pierre Gimonnet et Fils "Vielles Vignes de
Chardonnay" 1998 in magnum. And, tomorrow, for Christmas Day lunch (which
in Spain is as important as Christmas dinner) it will be Dominio de Atauta
2004 from Ribera del Duero.

Best,

Santiago
Posted to alt.food.wine

Godmé Pere at Fils Champagne Grand Cru Blanc des Noirs en aperitif
1994 Erhardt Kaefferkopf with smoked salmon mousse
1998 Corbin Michotte with a 5 rib roast of beef
1997 Bastor Lamontagne with an unseasonal Summer Pudding
1982 Quinta do Noval with a selection of English cheeses —
Cotherstone, Swaledale (cow), 18 month Montgomery Cheddar and Blue
Wensleydale

And I wish a very Joyous Christmas to all who will be celebrating it.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

Andrew Haley > wrote:
> Ed Rasimus > wrote:

>>>Ridge Monte Bello '99
>>>Turley "Presenti" '03
>>>Oremus Tokaji Aszu (5 puttonyos) '99

>> Stop before it's too late....a '99 Monte Bello is too young to die.

[i]
> Hey, I'm quite confident that it will improve, but I want to see how
> it's getting along. It's surely worth opening one bottle to fnd
> out.

You really had me worried about this one, but I shouldn't have been.
It was lovely. OK, so the tannins were rather forward, but it was
wonderfully concentrated, with nicely balanced acidity. Fantastic
colour too.

Andrew.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:25:41 -0000, Andrew Haley
> wrote:
[i]
>Andrew Haley > wrote:
>> Ed Rasimus > wrote:
>>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:10:58 -0000, Andrew Haley

>>> Stop before it's too late....a '99 Monte Bello is too young to die.

>> Hey, I'm quite confident that it will improve, but I want to see how
>> it's getting along. It's surely worth opening one bottle to fnd
>> out.

>You really had me worried about this one, but I shouldn't have been.
>It was lovely. OK, so the tannins were rather forward, but it was
>wonderfully concentrated, with nicely balanced acidity. Fantastic
>colour too.
>
>Andrew.

Sorry I scared you. Now, I'll make you envious--I had the '95 Monte
Bello with Christmas dinner and it was magnificent.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

We had our usual smoked BBQ turkey, for which I normally choose a
zinfandel. I did this time too (a Husch '03 Old Vines), but on a hunch,
later with leftovers, I opened a Lang and Reed '04 Cab Franc. Man that
was good! On opening it had a nutty, toasty nose which reminded me of
oatmeal, but that completely disappeared as soon as I had some of the
smokey turkey, gravy, and rice. It was a perfect match.

I'll have to remember that for next time.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:27:03 GMT, Jose >
wrote:

>We had our usual smoked BBQ turkey, for which I normally choose a
>zinfandel. I did this time too (a Husch '03 Old Vines), but on a hunch,
>later with leftovers, I opened a Lang and Reed '04 Cab Franc. Man that
>was good! On opening it had a nutty, toasty nose which reminded me of
>oatmeal, but that completely disappeared as soon as I had some of the
>smokey turkey, gravy, and rice. It was a perfect match.
>
>I'll have to remember that for next time.
>
>Jose

I am a big fan of Cab Franc. Went through a dozen or so bottles when
Fife did a varietal bottling. Also liked EOS. It always brings
blueberries to mind--both color and taste.