Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Aglianico

Just had a bottle of the Feudi di San Gregorio Irpinia Aglianico '03. Dark,
almost black in the glass with an almost charcoal rim. No immediate oak
character on the nose, but cherries, spice and musk. Much more fruit than a
Chianti. The palate is dominated by alcohol, pepper, chewy/grippy tannins
(but not as emphatic as some Sagrantinos). Great length, and just crying out
for a red meat on the bone. Slow cooked lamb shank, bring it on!

Man, some southern Italian wines are really exciting. I guess they appeal to
my Australian-born palate, but the wines are SO Italian as well. Those
characteristic tannins that I've always associated with Italian reds are so
evident in the above wine. I can't wait to see what the new world can do
with this variety!

Anyone else had a good Aglianico of late?

Marcello

Posted to alt.food.wine

Marcello Fabretti wrote:
> Just had a bottle of the Feudi di San Gregorio Irpinia Aglianico '03. Dark,
> almost black in the glass with an almost charcoal rim. No immediate oak
> character on the nose, but cherries, spice and musk. Much more fruit than a
> Chianti. The palate is dominated by alcohol, pepper, chewy/grippy tannins
> (but not as emphatic as some Sagrantinos). Great length, and just crying out
> for a red meat on the bone. Slow cooked lamb shank, bring it on!
>
> Man, some southern Italian wines are really exciting. I guess they appeal to
> my Australian-born palate, but the wines are SO Italian as well. Those
> characteristic tannins that I've always associated with Italian reds are so
> evident in the above wine. I can't wait to see what the new world can do
> with this variety!
>
> Anyone else had a good Aglianico of late?
>
> Marcello

1997 Taurasi Riserva by Mastroberardino. Heavenly!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Marcello Fabretti skrev i
dette:
> Just had a bottle of the Feudi di San Gregorio Irpinia Aglianico '03.
> Dark, almost black in the glass with an almost charcoal rim. No
> immediate oak character on the nose, but cherries, spice and musk.
> Much more fruit than a Chianti. The palate is dominated by alcohol,
> pepper, chewy/grippy tannins (but not as emphatic as some
> Sagrantinos). Great length, and just crying out for a red meat on the
> bone. Slow cooked lamb shank, bring it on!
> Man, some southern Italian wines are really exciting. I guess they
> appeal to my Australian-born palate, but the wines are SO Italian as
> well. Those characteristic tannins that I've always associated with
> Italian reds are so evident in the above wine. I can't wait to see
> what the new world can do with this variety!
>
> Anyone else had a good Aglianico of late?

Aglianico Roccamonfina 2003 from Biondino. Cheap.
Mediumbodied with nice fruit and good balance. Soft tanins. Uncomplicated
and easy. I use it where I otherwise would have chosen a Beaujolais.

But I would go for Taurasi, if I should explore what can be done with
Aglianico. Right now Taurasi is one of my absolute favorites. Feudi san
Gregoria makes together with Mastroberadino some of the best which should be
relative easy to find outside Campania.

BTW: Any good advices for visiting producers in the area around Napoli would
be appreciated.

regards
Jan

--
A few photos can be found on http://jan.boegh.net/foto.htm

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Marcello Fabretti" > wrote in
:

> Anyone else had a good Aglianico of late?

Like most wines it kind of depends upon how much you want to spend. Two of
my favorite Aglianicos are Galardi's Terra di Lavora and Taburno's Bue
Apis. The Galardi is, in my opinion, one of the most distinct wines
around. But you are also pushing $100 a bottle here.

At lower price points some of the producers I like a Caggiano,
Moletteria, Elena Fucci, Cantine del Notaio (although getting pretty
International in style here).

I hope you can find some of these and they are to your liking.

John
Posted to alt.food.wine

John Gunn wrote:
> "Marcello Fabretti" > wrote in
> :
>

> > Anyone else had a good Aglianico of late?

> Like most wines it kind of depends upon how much you want to spend. Two of
> my favorite Aglianicos are Galardi's Terra di Lavora and Taburno's Bue
> Apis. The Galardi is, in my opinion, one of the most distinct wines
> around. But you are also pushing $100 a bottle here.

Where do these come from? What importer?

> At lower price points some of the producers I like a Caggiano,
> Moletteria, Elena Fucci, Cantine del Notaio (although getting pretty
> International in style here).
>
> I hope you can find some of these and they are to your liking.
>
> John

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Like most wines it kind of depends upon how much you want to spend.
>> Two of my favorite Aglianicos are Galardi's Terra di Lavora and
>> Taburno's Bue Apis. The Galardi is, in my opinion, one of the most
>> distinct wines around. But you are also pushing $100 a bottle here.

> Where do these come from? What importer?

They are both in Compania. I believe Taburno is Skurnick and Galardi is
Winebow.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I agree about Taurasi---Carlo Mastroberadino is the person you want to
contact, I don't recall if his father, Walter is still alive. Winebow, the