Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1985 St. Estephe

Last night Betsy made filets in a shallot/vinegar/cream sauce, with
braised leeks and barley. I opened the 1985 Ch. Haut-Marbuzet (St.
Estephe). Very very round, fully resolved tannins and very low acidity.
Fruit is all red plums and currants. Medium-bodied, ok finish. Some
aromas of cedar and leather. This is probably a little tired, but I
think age is less a problem thant the lack of acidity. I know '85 is
supposed to be a very ripe low-acid vintage, but wines like Haut-Brion,
Cheval Blanc, L'Evangile, Ducru, Leo-Barton, Cos all seem to have
enough acid to balance. Even the somewhat California-esque Lynch-Bages
has more acid than this. Pretty unexciting, I'll be generous with a B-.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote:

> I opened the 1985 Ch. Haut-Marbuzet (St. Estephe).

Interesting. I still have three bottles of this wine, offered to
me at release ('85 being my son's birth year) and stored ever
since in my natural underground cellar at 10°C = 50°F, annual
variation going from 49 to 51F only.

Reminds me to take a look and maybe open one.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mine was a purchase a few years ago. I'd expect yours to be younger due
to cold storage, but will be interested to hear your take.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote:

> Mine was a purchase a few years ago. I'd expect yours to be
> younger due to cold storage, but will be interested to hear
> your take.

Will take a while, but I promise to report.

M.