Posted to alt.food.wine

Default advice sought

My wife has a big birthday coming up plus we have a 45th anniversary in the
near future. I would like some advice on which of the following (if any) is
most likely to be nearest its optimal drinking window. As all were gifts, I
have only one bottle of each. All have been stored at 55 degrees F since
received. All were received when they were current releases. The three
candidates a 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain cabernet,
1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
cabernet,
and 1999 Stag's Leap Cask 23.

TIA.

--
Don Eagle
To reply personally, drop the Latin "not more"

Posted to alt.food.wine

Donald Eagle wrote:
> My wife has a big birthday coming up plus we have a 45th anniversary in the
> near future. I would like some advice on which of the following (if any) is
> most likely to be nearest its optimal drinking window. As all were gifts, I
> have only one bottle of each. All have been stored at 55 degrees F since
> received. All were received when they were current releases. The three
> candidates a 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain cabernet,
> 1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
> cabernet,
> and 1999 Stag's Leap Cask 23.

I would select the 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain for drinking now. This
wine was listed as ready for drinking in 2005 by Hugh Johnson. It is
likely to be an outstanding wine. I do not have specific information on
the Diamond Creek. Some wines from 1991 tend to be a bit lean, but a
fine wine such as this could have developed very well with age. It
likely would be drinkable now, but I hesitate to say more without
specific information. The year 1999 produced many wines of outstanding
quality. Hugh Johnson rated the 99 Stag's Leap as outstanding, but not
ready in 2005. I think I would save this wine for another important
event up to a few decades in the future. Better years of Cask 23 can be
slow to develop and very long lasting.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thank you. The Dunn it will be. That is sort of what I had thought, but I
am happy to have the confirmation.

--
Don Eagle
To reply personally, drop the Latin "not more"

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Donald Eagle wrote:
>> My wife has a big birthday coming up plus we have a 45th anniversary in
>> the
>> near future. I would like some advice on which of the following (if any)
>> is
>> most likely to be nearest its optimal drinking window. As all were
>> gifts, I
>> have only one bottle of each. All have been stored at 55 degrees F since
>> received. All were received when they were current releases. The three
>> candidates a 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain cabernet,
>> 1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
>> cabernet,
>> and 1999 Stag's Leap Cask 23.

> I would select the 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain for drinking now. This
> wine was listed as ready for drinking in 2005 by Hugh Johnson. It is
> likely to be an outstanding wine. I do not have specific information on
> the Diamond Creek. Some wines from 1991 tend to be a bit lean, but a
> fine wine such as this could have developed very well with age. It
> likely would be drinkable now, but I hesitate to say more without
> specific information. The year 1999 produced many wines of outstanding
> quality. Hugh Johnson rated the 99 Stag's Leap as outstanding, but not
> ready in 2005. I think I would save this wine for another important
> event up to a few decades in the future. Better years of Cask 23 can be
> slow to develop and very long lasting.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Donald Eagle wrote:
> Thank you. The Dunn it will be. That is sort of what I had thought, but I
> am happy to have the confirmation.

Don,
Not to throw a wrench into the works, but Dunn Howell Mountains age
glacially. I don't have the '90, but I had the '90 Napa recently (which
was ready to drink). If you look at the notes posted on cellartracker's
website, most people have decribed the '90 HM as having aggressive
tannins. Most people are decanting many hours before serving. I would
actually advise you to open the '91 Diamond Creek as the notes posted on
cellartracker indicate that it may be in its decline now.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Donald Eagle" > wrote:

> My wife has a big birthday coming up plus we have a 45th anniversary in the
> near future. I would like some advice on which of the following (if any) is
> most likely to be nearest its optimal drinking window. As all were gifts, I
> have only one bottle of each. All have been stored at 55 degrees F since
> received. All were received when they were current releases. The three
> candidates a 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain cabernet,
> 1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
> cabernet,
> and 1999 Stag's Leap Cask 23.
>
> TIA.

Having just opened a Dunn Howell Mountain 1989 you may still find it to
be a big wine. The '89 was really coming together after being opened an
hour so I would give it that much time opened.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
says...

>In article >,
> "Donald Eagle" > wrote:
>
>> My wife has a big birthday coming up plus we have a 45th anniversary in the
>> near future. I would like some advice on which of the following (if any)

is
>> most likely to be nearest its optimal drinking window. As all were gifts,

>> have only one bottle of each. All have been stored at 55 degrees F since
>> received. All were received when they were current releases. The three
>> candidates a 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain cabernet,
>> 1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
>> cabernet,
>> and 1999 Stag's Leap Cask 23.
>>
>> TIA.

>Having just opened a Dunn Howell Mountain 1989 you may still find it to
>be a big wine. The '89 was really coming together after being opened an
>hour so I would give it that much time opened.

Last wine that I had from the above list of producers and vineyards, was also
an '89 Dunn. As with your experience, it was coming around nicely, and was
decanted ~30 mins. before serving. It could possibly have benefitted from more
time, but we did consume it slowly with a lot of swirling. Even though '89 is
still thought of as a weak vintage for CA, there are some examples of great
wine made that year - the Dunn Howell Mtn is, IMHO, one of them. I have the
DCGM '91 (along with DCVH & DCRRT), but have not opened any, since I purchased
a mixed case. Last tasting was at the Lake Vineyard with the late Mr
Brounstein, and his wife Boots. My guess would be another 5 years, but I need
to crack open a bottle of each, to verify. As for the SL '99, I do not have
it, but would assume that 2009 might be a time to try a btl. if I did.

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hunt and Mark: I'm sorry about the delay, but I had also contacted both
Diamond Creek and Dunn about the wines. They have now responded. Diamond
Creek said: It has been drinking well for about 4 years and I would
recommend that you use it for your event.
Dunn said: Don--It really depends on your personal taste. The wine will
really last at least another 10-20 years. We have had it within the last 3
months and it was tasty. Randy
Adding their comments to yours, I have changed my mind and decided to open
the Diamond Creek, and save the Dunn for the next special occasion.
Thanks to all 3 who responded.
--

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>>In article >,
>> "Donald Eagle" > wrote:
>>
>>> My wife has a big birthday coming up plus we have a 45th anniversary in
>>> the
>>> near future. I would like some advice on which of the following (if
>>> any)

> is
>>> most likely to be nearest its optimal drinking window. As all were
>>> gifts,

>>> have only one bottle of each. All have been stored at 55 degrees F
>>> since
>>> received. All were received when they were current releases. The three
>>> candidates a 1990 Dunn Howell Mountain cabernet,
>>> 1991 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow
>>> cabernet,
>>> and 1999 Stag's Leap Cask 23.
>>>
>>> TIA.

>>Having just opened a Dunn Howell Mountain 1989 you may still find it to
>>be a big wine. The '89 was really coming together after being opened an
>>hour so I would give it that much time opened.

> Last wine that I had from the above list of producers and vineyards, was
> also
> an '89 Dunn. As with your experience, it was coming around nicely, and was
> decanted ~30 mins. before serving. It could possibly have benefitted from
> more
> time, but we did consume it slowly with a lot of swirling. Even though '89
> is
> still thought of as a weak vintage for CA, there are some examples of
> great
> wine made that year - the Dunn Howell Mtn is, IMHO, one of them. I have
> the
> DCGM '91 (along with DCVH & DCRRT), but have not opened any, since I
> purchased
> a mixed case. Last tasting was at the Lake Vineyard with the late Mr
> Brounstein, and his wife Boots. My guess would be another 5 years, but I
> need
> to crack open a bottle of each, to verify. As for the SL '99, I do not
> have
> it, but would assume that 2009 might be a time to try a btl. if I did.
>
> Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
says...

>In article >,
(Hunt)
>wrote:
>
>> In article >,

>> says...
>> >
>> >Hunt and Mark: I'm sorry about the delay, but I had also contacted both
>> >Diamond Creek and Dunn about the wines. They have now responded. Diamond
>> >Creek said: It has been drinking well for about 4 years and I would
>> >recommend that you use it for your event.
>> >Dunn said: Don--It really depends on your personal taste. The wine will
>> >really last at least another 10-20 years. We have had it within the last

3
>> >months and it was tasty. Randy
>> >Adding their comments to yours, I have changed my mind and decided to open
>> >the Diamond Creek, and save the Dunn for the next special occasion.
>> > Thanks to all 3 who responded.
>> >--
>> >Don Eagle
>> >To reply personally, drop the Latin "not more"

>> [SNIP]
>>
>> Don,
>>
>> Thanks for the report. Since these folk have, first a vested interest, and

>> library of their wines, they should know. I like the Dunn response, as the
>> appreciation of any aged wine is on the palete of the beholder - some love
>> it,
>> some miss the big fruit, etc.
>>
>> Happy Thanksgiving,
>> Hunt

>Dunn is such a slow ager though that despite having vintages from
>1988-2003, I'm not sure I will ever buy another bottle for fear of never
>living long enough for it to drink well. Mad the mistake of opening a
>1995 last year and that was still one tannic sucker.

That's about where I am on 1er Cru Bdx and Vintage Port. I think I am now in
my decline and have no children to leave the wines to - so I must drink them,
before my departure. <G> The only VPs that I am buying are ones that my wife
will find approachable in their youth, as she does fancy VPs with less age on
them. Luckily, I have enough of the Bdx., the VPs and the big reds from
several other countries to last me.

Hunt

Advice sought. [email protected] Preserving 39 29-03-2009 05:00 AM
Advice sought. The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 2 29-03-2009 04:47 AM
Advice sought. Kathi Jones Preserving 0 21-03-2009 01:26 PM
Advice sought. George Shirley Preserving 0 21-03-2009 12:05 AM
Advice sought. [email protected] Preserving 0 20-03-2009 10:11 PM