FoodBanter.com

-   -   [FAQ] 3i. NY Finger Lakes? (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/106771-faq-3i-ny-finger.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 14-11-2006 05:32 AM

[FAQ] 3i. NY Finger Lakes?

What follows is a rough draft of recommendations for the Finger Lakes
region of NY State. I would appreciate any additional information about
recommended wineries (or other wineries to recommend) as well as the
usual comments, criticisms and corrections.

--------------- Begin C&P -------------------------
The Finger Lakes region of upstate New York is a cool weather growing
region that has been producing “serious” wines for about 30 years now.
Production there centers on the cooler climate vinifera grapes
(Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc) as well as
labrusca (native) and vinifera-labrusca hybrids. The latter grapes are
more suited to the cold winters of upstate NY, but are not to everyones’
tastes. Production centers around two lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, both of
which are near to Ithaca, NY.

Wineries:

Castle Gritsch – Terrific view, decent wines
Lucas
Knapp
Sheldrake Point (W Cayuga) – Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
Hosmer (W Cayuga) – Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
Standing Stone (E Seneca) – Excellent white wines
Wagner (E Seneca) – Good Riesling and Gewurztraminer, excellent beer
Dr. Konstantin Frank – A regional pioneer, good Riesling
Ravines – Good Riesling
Heron Hill – Good Riesling
Hermann J. Wiemar (W Seneca) -
Miles Cellars
Lamoreaux Landing - nice wines, interesting building (gorgeous tasting
room!)
A****er (E Seneca) -
Hazlitt 1852 (E Seneca) -

Dining:

Red Newt – Nice bistro for lunch
Wagner Vineyards – Nice restaurant for lunch

Lodging:

Golden Knight Inn and Suites – Book far in advance
Castle Gritsch – B&B with nice view

Websites:

http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/
http://www.uncorknewyork.com/winecou...akes/index.asp
http://www.senecalakewine.com

-------------------- End C&P -----------------------

Mark Lipton
Feeder of the FAQ

Furious Shepherd 14-11-2006 12:20 PM

[FAQ] 3i. NY Finger Lakes?

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
m...
> What follows is a rough draft of recommendations for the Finger Lakes
> region of NY State. I would appreciate any additional information about
> recommended wineries (or other wineries to recommend) as well as the
> usual comments, criticisms and corrections.
>
> --------------- Begin C&P -------------------------
> The Finger Lakes region of upstate New York is a cool weather growing
> region that has been producing “serious” wines for about 30 years now.
> Production there centers on the cooler climate vinifera grapes
> (Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc) as well as
> labrusca (native) and vinifera-labrusca hybrids. The latter grapes are
> more suited to the cold winters of upstate NY, but are not to everyones’
> tastes. Production centers around two lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, both of
> which are near to Ithaca, NY.
>
> Wineries:
>
> Castle Gritsch – Terrific view, decent wines
> Lucas
> Knapp
> Sheldrake Point (W Cayuga) – Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
> Hosmer (W Cayuga) – Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
> Standing Stone (E Seneca) – Excellent white wines
> Wagner (E Seneca) – Good Riesling and Gewurztraminer, excellent beer
> Dr. Konstantin Frank – A regional pioneer, good Riesling
> Ravines – Good Riesling
> Heron Hill – Good Riesling
> Hermann J. Wiemar (W Seneca) -
> Miles Cellars
> Lamoreaux Landing - nice wines, interesting building (gorgeous tasting
> room!)
> A****er (E Seneca) -
> Hazlitt 1852 (E Seneca) -

A****er is my favorite on Seneca. Their Riesling is very good and the
Gewurtz is excellent.
Hazlitt has some very nice wines. They also sell what is often touted as the
best selling wine in NY state, Red Cat. This is a sweet wine made from Red
Catawba grapes.
Both A****er and Hazlitt are 'must stops' for me every trip. I've never been
impressed with Miles Cellars.

> Dining:
>
> Red Newt – Nice bistro for lunch
> Wagner Vineyards – Nice restaurant for lunch

The Ginny Lee at Wagner is good. Never eaten at Red Newt but their wines are
decent.

DaleW 14-11-2006 06:52 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

You got my faves (Sheldrake, Ravines, Weimar) -can't add anything.
In Ithaca there's a tapas bar called Just a Taste that gets consistent
good marks. But they don't take reservations and the times I tried to
go wait was too long.

Want me to try and do a preliminary on Long Island?

Mark Lipton[_1_] 14-11-2006 06:57 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

DaleW wrote:
> You got my faves (Sheldrake, Ravines, Weimar) -can't add anything.
> In Ithaca there's a tapas bar called Just a Taste that gets consistent
> good marks. But they don't take reservations and the times I tried to
> go wait was too long.

Is it Weimar or Wiemar? And what do they make? Sorry to ask such
ignorant questions, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of legwork that
I have to do. As or LI: do you think that it's worth doing? I can't
recall anyone ever asking about LI wineries here, but if you're up to
it, WTH!

Mark Lipton

cwdjrxyz 14-11-2006 07:13 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Mark Lipton wrote:
> What follows is a rough draft of recommendations for the Finger Lakes
> region of NY State. I would appreciate any additional information about
> recommended wineries (or other wineries to recommend) as well as the
> usual comments, criticisms and corrections.
>
> --------------- Begin C&P -------------------------
> The Finger Lakes region of upstate New York is a cool weather growing
> region that has been producing "serious" wines for about 30 years now.
> Production there centers on the cooler climate vinifera grapes
> (Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc) as well as
> labrusca (native) and vinifera-labrusca hybrids. The latter grapes are
> more suited to the cold winters of upstate NY, but are not to everyones'
> tastes. Production centers around two lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, both of
> which are near to Ithaca, NY.
>
> Wineries:
>
> Castle Gritsch - Terrific view, decent wines
> Lucas
> Knapp
> Sheldrake Point (W Cayuga) - Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
> Hosmer (W Cayuga) - Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
> Standing Stone (E Seneca) - Excellent white wines
> Wagner (E Seneca) - Good Riesling and Gewurztraminer, excellent beer
> Dr. Konstantin Frank - A regional pioneer, good Riesling
> Ravines - Good Riesling
> Heron Hill - Good Riesling
> Hermann J. Wiemar (W Seneca) -
> Miles Cellars
> Lamoreaux Landing - nice wines, interesting building (gorgeous tasting
> room!)
> A****er (E Seneca) -
> Hazlitt 1852 (E Seneca) -
>
> Dining:
>
> Red Newt - Nice bistro for lunch
> Wagner Vineyards - Nice restaurant for lunch
>
> Lodging:
>
> Golden Knight Inn and Suites - Book far in advance
> Castle Gritsch - B&B with nice view
>
> Websites:
>
> http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/
> http://www.uncorknewyork.com/winecou...akes/index.asp
> http://www.senecalakewine.com

I am not suggesting any changes. I just thought some might like a bit
of the Finger Lakes wine history, now that the subject has been brought
up.

The Finger Lakes region wines were more important than California wines
at one time in the Eastern half of the US. Some of the wineries were
very well known well back into the 1800s. Although many of the wines
made from native grapes were "foxy", there was much experimentation
with hybrids, and a few hybrids made more conventional tasting wines.
The region was especially well known for "Champagne". Some of these
sparkling wines were fairly conventional tasting, but many tended to be
a bit sweet. Also, back then, there was a stigma toward wines made in
the US, especially on the East coast. Many would buy only imported
wines which often were French are German. However many of the imports
were of the most common sort and really not much better than many
domestic mass produced wines. WWII greatly changed this. With imports
from Europe cut off, wine distributors in the Eastern US had to find
local wines. Many California wines, including the likes of BV Private
Reserve became easy to obtain in many East coast wine shops, and some
drinkers of only imported wines found them to their liking. Since the
California wines, in the higher grades, were more like European wines
than the Finger Lakes wines, California wine sales displaced some of
the Finger Lake sales. However, after the war, Dr. Frank and others
showed how to grow Riesling and other European grapes in the region.
This has resulted in a greatly improved reputation for some of the
Finger Lakes wines. Also some other areas of New York are making decent
wines now, so I hear, but I have not had enough contact with these to
have any opinion.

jIM 14-11-2006 08:18 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Mark Lipton wrote:
> What follows is a rough draft of recommendations for the Finger Lakes
> region of NY State. I would appreciate any additional information about
> recommended wineries (or other wineries to recommend) as well as the
> usual comments, criticisms and corrections.
>
> --------------- Begin C&P -------------------------
> The Finger Lakes region of upstate New York is a cool weather growing
> region that has been producing "serious" wines for about 30 years now.
> Production there centers on the cooler climate vinifera grapes
> (Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc) as well as
> labrusca (native) and vinifera-labrusca hybrids. The latter grapes are
> more suited to the cold winters of upstate NY, but are not to everyones'
> tastes. Production centers around two lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, both of
> which are near to Ithaca, NY.
>
> Wineries:
>
> Castle Gritsch - Terrific view, decent wines
> Lucas
> Knapp
> Sheldrake Point (W Cayuga) - Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
> Hosmer (W Cayuga) - Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
> Standing Stone (E Seneca) - Excellent white wines
> Wagner (E Seneca) - Good Riesling and Gewurztraminer, excellent beer
> Dr. Konstantin Frank - A regional pioneer, good Riesling
> Ravines - Good Riesling
> Heron Hill - Good Riesling
> Hermann J. Wiemar (W Seneca) -
> Miles Cellars
> Lamoreaux Landing - nice wines, interesting building (gorgeous tasting
> room!)
> A****er (E Seneca) -
> Hazlitt 1852 (E Seneca) -

Keuka
http://www.keukawinetrail.com/

Hunt Country- I liked their selection. laid back wine tasting
Dr Konstantin- OK wines, I thought the host was snobby (but he clearly
talked like he knew what he was talking about).

Seneca:
http://www.senecalakewine.com/jc/content/view/25/49/

Glenora- Liked their selection
Their were two wineries real close to one another either not listed
above or I forgot name of in 3 days (we were their last Friday). Had
more fruit wines (apple, berry types) than Grape wines.
Castel Grich- good holiday wines- Seneca Dream White and Seneca Dream
Red
Hazlitt 1852- a fun wine tasting experience (we make this the last stop
each year). They serve Jello shots with Red Cat, very fun.

Cayuga
http://www.cayugawinetrail.com/cwt_trailmap.taf

Swedish Hill Great selection
Knapp Great selection Vignoles is my favorate.
Goosewatch- if you stop by Knapp, this is around the corner and has a
great view, plus good wines.
Thirsty Owl- a first time stop last weekend, pleasently surprised.
Good wines and laid back staff.
Lucas- large variety of wines, they have a bottle with world trade
centers around it which we like to give as gifts. Have a good
Vignoles, good Reisling and excellent staff.
Americana- I like their late harvest. Also have wine scented candles,
which my wife loves. This was a first time stop this year and will be
a stop every time we head back to area.

> Dining:
>
> Red Newt - Nice bistro for lunch
> Wagner Vineyards - Nice restaurant for lunch

Seneca Lodge
There is a restraurant at southern tip of Seneca Lake, not far from
castle Gritsch- Highly recomend. Reasonably priced.

> Lodging:
>
> Golden Knight Inn and Suites - Book far in advance
> Castle Gritsch - B&B with nice view

Seneca Lodge

> Websites:
>
> http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/
> http://www.uncorknewyork.com/winecou...akes/index.asp
> http://www.senecalakewine.com

If staying at Seneca Lodge-

Day 1 trip went from Seneca Lodge to Dr K (a 75 minute drive). The
North on Keuka to Hunt, then to North part of Seneca back down (ending
at Castle Grich). 6-7 hour trip.

Day 2 trip went to Northern part of Cayuga (swedish hill), went south
to Americana, then across 143 West to Seneca Lodge. Can hit Hazlitt
and others heading south towards Seneca Lodge. 6-7 hour trip.

DaleW 14-11-2006 09:01 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Mark Lipton wrote:

> Is it Weimar or Wiemar? And what do they make? Sorry to ask such
> ignorant questions, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of legwork that
> I have to do. As or LI: do you think that it's worth doing? I can't
> recall anyone ever asking about LI wineries here, but if you're up to
> it, WTH!

Actually it's Hermann Wiemer. Rieslings are what I've liked, Gewurz and
Pinot Noir were ok.

You're probably right re LI. I've been on several threads on WLDG or
eBob re that, but looks like only Midlife asked recently here.

Charles 15-11-2006 02:48 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Bully Hill is a great place for lunch but their wines are horrible.
Dano's is a fantastic Austro-Hungarian restaurant that shouldn't be
missed. Standing Stone makes a nice Vidal Ice Wine. Weimer is one of
the best, as if Ravines, but they are both making riesling in what is,
to me, more of an old world style. The winemaker at Ravines used to be
the winemaker at Konstantin Frank, but he left for the more boutique
style of Ravines. Lamoreaux, Lafayette, and A****er are all good. Stay
away from Glenora. . .

jIM 15-11-2006 03:38 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Charles wrote:
> Bully Hill is a great place for lunch but their wines are horrible.
> Dano's is a fantastic Austro-Hungarian restaurant that shouldn't be
> missed. Standing Stone makes a nice Vidal Ice Wine. Weimer is one of
> the best, as if Ravines, but they are both making riesling in what is,
> to me, more of an old world style. The winemaker at Ravines used to be
> the winemaker at Konstantin Frank, but he left for the more boutique
> style of Ravines. Lamoreaux, Lafayette, and A****er are all good. Stay
> away from Glenora. . .

I was not impressed with customer service at Weimer (West side of
Seneca, correct?)- that was only winery I visted all weekend and did
not buy something (out of 15 visited). They had flies all over the
inside, had a small tasting room, and the one lady working there was
quite rude.

There wines were more on the dry side as well.

lynsam 16-11-2006 02:56 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

"jIM" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charles wrote:
>> Bully Hill is a great place for lunch but their wines are horrible.
>> Dano's is a fantastic Austro-Hungarian restaurant that shouldn't be
>> missed. Standing Stone makes a nice Vidal Ice Wine. Weimer is one of
>> the best, as if Ravines, but they are both making riesling in what is,
>> to me, more of an old world style. The winemaker at Ravines used to be
>> the winemaker at Konstantin Frank, but he left for the more boutique
>> style of Ravines. Lamoreaux, Lafayette, and A****er are all good. Stay
>> away from Glenora. . .

Why stay away from Glenora?

> I was not impressed with customer service at Weimer (West side of
> Seneca, correct?)- that was only winery I visted all weekend and did
> not buy something (out of 15 visited). They had flies all over the
> inside, had a small tasting room, and the one lady working there was
> quite rude.

Generally, I find no issue with these sentiments.

jIM 16-11-2006 03:20 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

lynsam wrote:
> "jIM" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Charles wrote:
> >> Bully Hill is a great place for lunch but their wines are horrible.
> >> Dano's is a fantastic Austro-Hungarian restaurant that shouldn't be
> >> missed. Standing Stone makes a nice Vidal Ice Wine. Weimer is one of
> >> the best, as if Ravines, but they are both making riesling in what is,
> >> to me, more of an old world style. The winemaker at Ravines used to be
> >> the winemaker at Konstantin Frank, but he left for the more boutique
> >> style of Ravines. Lamoreaux, Lafayette, and A****er are all good. Stay
> >> away from Glenora. . .

> Why stay away from Glenora?

We went to Glenora last weekend... I don't remember "much" about it,
but we do have a few bottles from Glenora at home.

Tim Harris 16-11-2006 08:44 PM

3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Wine Spectator did an article on the Finger Lakes this year (Maybe it
was all of NY). Perhaps you could find a copy in a library or get to it
on their web site?