Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sulfite free wine (esp UK)

Not seen any about. It does exist, but in time for Xmas, retail, UK
(ideally).
And is it any good?
tia,
Bill

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bill Davy wrote:
> Not seen any about. It does exist, but in time for Xmas, retail, UK
> (ideally).
> And is it any good?

Bill,
As Mike said, special precautions have to be taken with non-sulfured
wines (SO2 is used as an anti-bacterial, so wines without it are
particularly susceptible to bacterial spoilage). The producers I know
of who produce non-sulfured wine are the "Gang of Four" in Beaujolais
(Lapierre, Thevenet, Foilard, Breton) and Thierry Allemand in Cornas.
Look for "sans soufre" (without sulfur) on the label... and be vewy,
vewy caweful ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote

> If so, wines can be superbly aromatic when young. Will seldom keep
> long. Some will not make it to your home and will either referment

on
> the bottle (they may pop the cork and can smell buttery

Seen at Vins de Vignerons

> or cheesy

Seen at Vins de Vignerons

> or just plain oxydised)

Seen twice at Vins de Vignerons

> Labelling for wines requires that they be marked "contains sulfites"
> without regard for the amount, as the legal threshold for this

marking
> is very low. So you may have wine so marked that contain very

little
> sulfite, and some that contain enormous migraine-inducing amounts.

It
> is therefore a meaningless label.

Exactly what I think, too.
This no-sulphytes trend, also, is probably the result of that stupid
labeling policy.
Will we ever see the *amount* of sulphytes on the labels? I'm not
optimistic, ATM.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote

> Having said that, there were also some fabulous wines at Vins de
> Vignerons...

Fabulous, yes, and often on the same table with the so2-free spoiled
wines.
A side note - everybody knows the effect of asparagus on urine's smell
so, well... I experimented it with wine for the first time, thanks to
a wonderful vendange tardive from Binner: I couldn't believe that
distinctive riesling and cytrus smell in my ****! Still laughing
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to alt.food.wine

No such thing. Sulfites are produced naturally when wine is fermented. You
get more sulfites in a glass of orange luice than in wine. There are no
sulfites ADDED wines. There are no sulfite-free wines. Sulfite allergies
can be really bad. Check with your Doctor.

Fred.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello, Fred!
You wrote on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:22:37 GMT:

F> No such thing. Sulfites are produced naturally when wine is
F> fermented. You get more sulfites in a glass of orange luice
F> than in wine. There are no sulfites ADDED wines. There are
F> no sulfite-free wines. Sulfite allergies can be really bad.
F> Check with your Doctor.

Fred you should try a search on Google for

Sulfite wine

and perhaps sort out this bunch of, at best, partial truths.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

Fred wrote:
> ... There are no
> sulfites ADDED wines. ...

Except most of them.

Posted to alt.food.wine

:

>> Hello, Fred!
>> You wrote on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:22:37 GMT:
>>
>> F> No such thing. Sulfites are produced naturally when wine is
>> F> fermented. You get more sulfites in a glass of orange luice
>> F> than in wine. There are no sulfites ADDED wines. There are
>> F> no sulfite-free wines. Sulfite allergies can be really bad.
>> F> Check with your Doctor.
>>
>> Fred you should try a search on Google for
>>
>> Sulfite wine
>>
>> and perhaps sort out this bunch of, at best, partial truths.

>I did. http://www.ecowine.com/sulfites.htm echos exactly what I said. The
>person's Doctor, like I said, should be consulted.

So where does it say "There are no sulfites ADDED wines"? It does say
"serious winemakers and enology professors concur that to make a
consistently stable wine, some sulfites must be added"

I don't see orange juice mentioned either, but I can well believe what
you say. Suphites are widely used throughout the food industry; that
is one of the reasons why I find it odd that wine is singled out (in
the UK at least) for the requirement to have a warning label. If you
really are sulphite intolerant you are going to have problems with
many foods - wine will be the least of your problems.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 06:38:39 GMT, Fred > wrote:
>
>>"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote in news:
:

>>> Fred you should try a search on Google for
>>>
>>> Sulfite wine
>>>
>>> and perhaps sort out this bunch of, at best, partial truths.

>>I did. http://www.ecowine.com/sulfites.htm echos exactly what I said.
>>The person's Doctor, like I said, should be consulted.

> So where does it say "There are no sulfites ADDED wines"? It does say
> "serious winemakers and enology professors concur that to make a
> consistently stable wine, some sulfites must be added"

Try "no sulfites ADDED" wines. Right after the second heading it says
that wines free of added sulfites do exist. I should have said "there
are wines without added sulfites" to be more clear. I did not mean
"wines with added sulfites do not exist". Someone else (Mike) also seems
to have misunderstood what I said.

> I don't see orange juice mentioned either, but I can well believe what
> you say. Suphites are widely used throughout the food industry; that
> is one of the reasons why I find it odd that wine is singled out (in
> the UK at least) for the requirement to have a warning label. If you
> really are sulphite intolerant you are going to have problems with
> many foods - wine will be the least of your problems.

Fruits are mentioned. Someone else in another thread used OJ as an
example. While the site does not mention OJ specifically, OJ does
contain sulfites. See http://tinyurl.com/thfxj for more details. It says
my two main points, all wine contains sulfites and foods like OJ contain
sulfites.

Fred.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote in news:4rohiuFscnjnU2
@mid.individual.net:

> Fred wrote:
>> No such thing.

> Yes there are, very ow levels, almost nil.

Almost nil, but not nil. The post was about sulfite free wines. Almost
zero is not zero.

>> Sulfites are produced naturally when wine is fermented.

> True
>
>> You > get more sulfites in a glass of orange luice than in wine.

> Ok
>
>> There are no sulfites ADDED wines.

> Almost all wines have sulfites added. This is plain wrong.

In another post I explained the misunderstanding. I should have said
"there are wines without added sulfites". I did not mean "wines with
added sulfites do not exist".

>> There are no sulfite-free wines.

> See above.

I stand by what I said. All wines have more than zero sulfites. The
level of sulfites may be very small, but it is not zero.

>> Sulfite allergies can be really bad. Check with your Doctor.

> Only when the dose exceeds certain thresholds. Most wines that are

meade
> with some restraint in SO2 levels will not give you trouble. And I am
> not sure that reactions to excessive amounts can be described as
> allergies, they affect evrybody.

While I may agree with you, I am not a Doctor. I am not someone that can
say "this will not cause you problems" with any authority. Leave that to
the people with medical degrees.

Fred.

Sulfite / Campden Tablets Quantity At Final Rack Of ElderberryBlackberry / Summer Fruits Wine jim c Winemaking 5 05-12-2009 01:24 AM
wine and wedding service, and free wine tasting at local Morgan Hillcellars winery stpcollect Wine 0 22-05-2009 08:24 PM
Sulfite-free wine? Fred[_2_] Wine 8 06-08-2008 02:03 PM
How do you sulfite? miker Winemaking 4 30-12-2005 05:40 PM
Too Much Sulfite David J. Winemaking 0 06-04-2005 03:46 PM