Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Australian wine industry feeling the heat.

Australia is in the grip of the worst drought in recorded history. While
this impacts mainly on pastoral and arable farming, climate change will
impact in other areas of the primary industry.

-AAP: Melbourne

"Climate change will dramatically alter growing conditions for Australia's
wine industry causing a big drop in quality as well as in the production of
Pinot Noir, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc, a new study shows.

A University of Melbourne PhD student has charted the effect of the CSIRO
climate change projects on Australia's major grape growing regions.

"Temperatures in most Australian wine regions are projected to increase by
between .3 to 1.7 degrees C by 2030" Leanne Webb of the University's Faculty
of Land and Food Resources, said yesterday.

"Modelling the effect of this temperature increase shows that grape quality
could be reduced in some regions by 12 to 57 per cent compared to current
conditions.

Aside from a drop in quality, Webb said the rising temperatures would shift
the grape "budburst" date, shorten the overall growing season and lead to
earlier harvests.

She said climate change would also redraw the map when it came to the type
of wine each regions was renowned for and cool-climate varieties such as
Pinot Noir might be reduced.

Webb also said the industry could adapt by breeding new grape varieties that
suited a warmer climate."

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:17:02 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Australia is in the grip of the worst drought in recorded history. While
>this impacts mainly on pastoral and arable farming, climate change will
>impact in other areas of the primary industry.
>
>-AAP: Melbourne
>
>"Climate change will dramatically alter growing conditions for Australia's
>wine industry causing a big drop in quality as well as in the production of
>Pinot Noir, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc, a new study shows.
>
>A University of Melbourne PhD student has charted the effect of the CSIRO
>climate change projects on Australia's major grape growing regions.
>
>"Temperatures in most Australian wine regions are projected to increase by
>between .3 to 1.7 degrees C by 2030" Leanne Webb of the University's Faculty
>of Land and Food Resources, said yesterday.
>
>"Modelling the effect of this temperature increase shows that grape quality
>could be reduced in some regions by 12 to 57 per cent compared to current
>conditions.
>
>Aside from a drop in quality, Webb said the rising temperatures would shift
>the grape "budburst" date, shorten the overall growing season and lead to
>earlier harvests.
>
>She said climate change would also redraw the map when it came to the type
>of wine each regions was renowned for and cool-climate varieties such as
>Pinot Noir might be reduced.
>
>Webb also said the industry could adapt by breeding new grape varieties that
>suited a warmer climate."

As if the drought is not being harsh enough on our farmers & growers,
my local region (Yarra Valley), saw many crops wiped out from a huge
frost one week ago. Some of the larger (ie DeBortoli) wineries had
damage but will still manage a crop, however, some smaller boutique
vineyards have lost the lot. Ah... we live in a dry harsh land!!

hooroo....