FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 1992 Corton -Rognet (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/104514-tn-1992-corton-rognet.html)

DaleW 21-10-2006 07:10 PM

TN: 1992 Corton -Rognet

Friday was a rare weekend night off for Betsy, we had arranged date
night. Went to Meritage in Scarsdale. I had been here for a wine
dinner, but new to Betsy (though she had been in a previous
incarnation, Il Cigno). We had a very nice meal- I started with a "duo"
of pork (loin and a rillette-ish portion) with frissee and green beans,
Betsy with a wild mushroom "trifolati" appetizer. She had short ribs as
her main course, I had roast chicken with a foie gras emulsion.
Everything was quite good.

Meritage has a very reasonable corkage charge ($10 I think). As an
advocate of overlooked vintages I had carried a bottle of the 1992
Ambroise "Le Rognet" Corton. Pretty open from the git-go, with a Corton
"animal" nose. The rather hard tannins of a few years ago have
resolved, nice redcurrant and cherry fruit, again that touch of meat
and smoke. Nice Corton profile, but still the vintage's weakness
showed a tad- the wine was a bit lacking in depth and concentration.
Still, while it might have been lacking as a Grand Cru it was a decent
mature bottle of Burgundy, and matched well with the food. B.