Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Experiment Proposal

I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but I
haven't developed a discerning palate yet.

How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open each
bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each bottle for
immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the refrigerator for
3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. Remove the
refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the room temp bottle until it has
truly achieved room temp. Reopen each bottle and taste again to ascertain
equality or inequality. Report results to AFW. I'd really like to see your
results. I'll do it, but I'm not sure you'll want to trust my palate.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bryan" > wrote in
et:

> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but
> I haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>
> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open
> each bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each
> bottle for immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the
> refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3
> to 5 days. Remove the refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the
> room temp bottle until it has truly achieved room temp. Reopen each
> bottle and taste again to ascertain equality or inequality. Report
> results to AFW. I'd really like to see your results. I'll do it, but
> I'm not sure you'll want to trust my palate.

What do you hope to prove? that warm temperatures and access to air will
degrade wine faster? that chilled wine with access to air deteriorates
more slowly? do you suspect that nothing happens. It is the common
wisdom that the cooled wine will hold up longer. Your palate, I am sure
will note the difference. go ahead try it.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Bryan" > wrote in
> et:
>
>> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but
>> I haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>>
>> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open
>> each bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each
>> bottle for immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the
>> refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3
>> to 5 days. Remove the refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the
>> room temp bottle until it has truly achieved room temp. Reopen each
>> bottle and taste again to ascertain equality or inequality. Report
>> results to AFW. I'd really like to see your results. I'll do it, but
>> I'm not sure you'll want to trust my palate.
>>

> What do you hope to prove? that warm temperatures and access to air will
> degrade wine faster? that chilled wine with access to air deteriorates
> more slowly? do you suspect that nothing happens. It is the common
> wisdom that the cooled wine will hold up longer. Your palate, I am sure
> will note the difference. go ahead try it.
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter
> Cruises and Vacations
> http://www.josephcoulter.com/

I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference. I'll
give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is discerning
enough to notice minor differences or that there will be such a big
difference that even my palate can see the light. Either way, I get to
drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution to humanity!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bryan wrote:

> I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference. I'll
> give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is discerning
> enough to notice minor differences or that there will be such a big
> difference that even my palate can see the light. Either way, I get to
> drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution to humanity!

Bryan,
I also think that it's a worthwhile experiment given the discussion
that's occurred today re the role of temperature in oxidation. In the
interests of science, I can conceive of two different experiments. In
one, you simply uncork, leave open for some amount of time, recork and
store before tasting. In the second, you remove some amount from each
bottle before recorking and storing. This would help resolve the
question of how much air exposure is needed before oxidation becomes a
problem.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bryan wrote:
> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but I
> haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>
> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open each
> bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each bottle for
> immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the refrigerator for
> 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. Remove the
> refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the room temp bottle until it has
> truly achieved room temp. Reopen each bottle and taste again to ascertain
> equality or inequality. Report results to AFW. I'd really like to see your
> results. I'll do it, but I'm not sure you'll want to trust my palate.

Both will be seriously oxidized. Pointless.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bryan" > wrote in
t:

> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
> . 97.136...
>> "Bryan" > wrote in
>> et:
>>
>>> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself,
>>> but I haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>>>
>>> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open
>>> each bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each
>>> bottle for immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one
>>> the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature
>>> for 3 to 5 days. Remove the refrigerated bottle and leave it next
>>> to the room temp bottle until it has truly achieved room temp.
>>> Reopen each bottle and taste again to ascertain equality or
>>> inequality. Report results to AFW. I'd really like to see your
>>> results. I'll do it, but I'm not sure you'll want to trust my
>>> palate.
>>>

>> What do you hope to prove? that warm temperatures and access to air
>> will degrade wine faster? that chilled wine with access to air
>> deteriorates more slowly? do you suspect that nothing happens. It is
>> the common wisdom that the cooled wine will hold up longer. Your
>> palate, I am sure will note the difference. go ahead try it.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph Coulter
>> Cruises and Vacations
>> http://www.josephcoulter.com/
>>

> I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference.
> I'll give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is
> discerning enough to notice minor differences or that there will be
> such a big difference that even my palate can see the light. Either
> way, I get to drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution
> to humanity!

Actually, I really do believe that you will be able to tell the diference
as I really do believe that there will be a difference that is discernable.
If not, then most of what we believe is rubbish and you will have disabused
us of the conceit!

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Bryan wrote:
>
>> I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference.
>> I'll
>> give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is
>> discerning
>> enough to notice minor differences or that there will be such a big
>> difference that even my palate can see the light. Either way, I get to
>> drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution to humanity!

> Bryan,
> I also think that it's a worthwhile experiment given the discussion
> that's occurred today re the role of temperature in oxidation. In the
> interests of science, I can conceive of two different experiments. In
> one, you simply uncork, leave open for some amount of time, recork and
> store before tasting. In the second, you remove some amount from each
> bottle before recorking and storing. This would help resolve the
> question of how much air exposure is needed before oxidation becomes a
> problem.
>
> Mark Lipton

There was an experiment performed some time ago and published, I think, in a
scientific journal. They were looking at the idea of letting wine breathe.
A bottle, uncorked, was compared with a glass of wine. The chemical
analysis demonstrated insignificant change in the uncorked bottle, but the
gas content of the glass of wine did change. Conclusion, wine in an open
bottle does not breathe while wine in a glass does. I wish I could find
that study; it was a fun article.

Posted to alt.food.wine

You do it. I'll stick with drinking my wines before they oxidize.

> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but I
> haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>
> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open each
> bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each bottle for
> immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the refrigerator
> for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. Remove
> the refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the room temp bottle until it
> has truly achieved room temp. Reopen each bottle and taste again to
> ascertain equality or inequality. Report results to AFW. I'd really like
> to see your results. I'll do it, but I'm not sure you'll want to trust my
> palate.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ric wrote:
> You do it. I'll stick with drinking my wines before they oxidize.

Yes. In a plastic bubble of course!

> > I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself, but I
> > haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
> >
> > How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open each
> > bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each bottle for
> > immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one the refrigerator
> > for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. Remove
> > the refrigerated bottle and leave it next to the room temp bottle until it
> > has truly achieved room temp. Reopen each bottle and taste again to
> > ascertain equality or inequality. Report results to AFW. I'd really like
> > to see your results. I'll do it, but I'm not sure you'll want to trust my
> > palate.

Posted to alt.food.wine

huh?

> Ric wrote:
>> You do it. I'll stick with drinking my wines before they oxidize.

> Yes. In a plastic bubble of course!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ric wrote:
> huh?
>

> > Ric wrote:
> >> You do it. I'll stick with drinking my wines before they oxidize.

> > Yes. In a plastic bubble of course!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Vetter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy...Plastic_Bubble

a modest proposal for Dale W., and others... Ronin Wine 1 22-01-2010 05:22 PM
A modest proposal zxcvbob General Cooking 222 15-03-2009 08:16 PM
Proposal. RW Vegan 0 18-12-2004 02:19 AM
A Modest Proposal Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 8 01-03-2004 09:20 PM
A Modest Proposal. [That has nothing to do with eating the Irish] Cameron Lewis Tea 8 23-02-2004 02:50 AM