Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1999 Leoville Poyferre

Saturday I was home alone, so grilled some more lamb chops and had a
simple meal. Eyed the leftover Pinotage but couldn't face it, so opened
the 1999 Ch. Leoville-Poyferre (St. Julien). Opens fairly quickly,
with creme de cassis fruit surrounded by toasty oak and tobacco aromas.
Not a really big wine, but it picks up steam over the evening. This was
to my tastes the Poyferre that began the swing towards modern, but this
isn't over the top. While it's modern it's not international- seems
very Bordeaux to me, with earth, graphite, and cigarbox. Some have said
drink up on the 1999s. but I think this will be fine for 8-10 more
years, though not a wine for 2030. A-/B+

1995 Chateau Leoville Poyferre Bi!! Wine 2 20-08-2009 06:26 PM
Leoville Poyferre Bill S. Wine 2 13-06-2009 10:32 PM
TN: 6.5 vintages of Poyferre vs. Barton DaleW Wine 2 11-10-2008 10:47 PM
Grilled rack of lamb and Leoville Poyferre 2000 Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Wine 4 05-09-2007 08:24 PM
TN: de Sales (fried?), good Qba, '99 Poyferre Dale Williams Wine 24 22-12-2004 05:50 PM