Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Excellent Loire red

Last night Betsy made the Zuni Cafe roast chicken with bread salad (my
all-time favorite roast chicken recipe). I went to cellar for Pinot
Noir, but wandered back up with a bottle of 2005 Filliatreau "La Grande
Vignolle" Saumur-Champigny. I had liked but not loved previous versions
of this, but a rave by Gilman had convinced me to buy a few. I'm very
glad I did. A little tannic initially for the bird, but beautiful
raspberry and black cherry fruit, a clear mineral core, and good
finish. I served a little too cool (I tossed in fridge for a few
minutes), but as it warmed the fruit burst forth and the tannins
retreated a bit. Great acidic balance. I nursed a glass for an hour or
more, some tobacco and light mocha notes emerges. This could use some
time for the tannins to integrate, btu pretty now with air. I
immediately ordered a few more ($14 at Wine Library). A-/B+

WTN: Burgundy, Loire, Champagne, Saar, Sicily, Loire, SLO DaleW Wine 7 09-10-2013 02:47 PM
TN: Excellent Loire Cab Franc, and a good Godello DaleW Wine 2 03-06-2008 07:46 PM
Excellent Pig ... Dave Bugg Barbecue 1 13-09-2005 06:25 AM
Excellent coffee Peter Aitken General Cooking 18 26-01-2005 09:07 PM
Excellent PENMART01 General Cooking 19 29-11-2004 05:59 AM