Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Article that Screw Caps Taint wine....see link

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5057312.html

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5057312.html

| Research carried out for this year's International Wine
| Challenge - the world's biggest wine competition - found
| faults caused by screw caps are almost as common as cork
| taint.

N.B.: "almost as common".

| From a blind tasting of 13,000 wines, they discovered 4% of
| the wine with corks had faults from oxidation or high sulphide
| levels - giving it an eggy flavour - compared with 2% of
| screw-cap bottles.

N.B.: *4%* compared to *2%*.

From my understanding of maths and the English language, I'd say
that from these findings cork problems are twice as common.

But then English is not my first language, and probably I don't
get the reasoning.

Btw, there's a vivid and enlighting discussion about this article
on Robin Garr's WLDG:

<http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=3525>

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

What is N.B?

This link was in Robert Parkers site so I shared the article.

I am not opposed to the Screw Cap for the most part(especially for whites,
and every day reds, and 5-10 year new world reds)....also last night my last
bottle of 1995 Justin Isoceles went down the drain and might have been
corked. Or might not have been the wine I would have preferred to have.
That said the 1996 was fantastic.

My position has changed for the time being until more wines become available
under screw cap.

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5057312.html

> | Research carried out for this year's International Wine
> | Challenge - the world's biggest wine competition - found
> | faults caused by screw caps are almost as common as cork
> | taint.
>
> N.B.: "almost as common".
>
> | From a blind tasting of 13,000 wines, they discovered 4% of
> | the wine with corks had faults from oxidation or high sulphide
> | levels - giving it an eggy flavour - compared with 2% of
> | screw-cap bottles.
>
> N.B.: *4%* compared to *2%*.
>
> From my understanding of maths and the English language, I'd say
> that from these findings cork problems are twice as common.
>
> But then English is not my first language, and probably I don't
> get the reasoning.
>

> Btw, there's a vivid and enlighting discussion about this article
> on Robin Garr's WLDG:
>
> <http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=3525>
>
> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> What is N.B?

Sorry once again.

"N. B." stands for "nota bene", Latin for "please note".

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for clarifying.

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>
>> What is N.B?

> Sorry once again.
>
> "N. B." stands for "nota bene", Latin for "please note".
>
> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I only looked at the first 1000 wines or so, and all appeared to me to
be pretty recent bottlings. I think that is the reason that only 4%
with corks are tainted. Good chance that 1- 2% are off just from
faulty winemaking and cellar conditions.

wait a few years out, I and I bet the corks produce closet to the
typical 10+% defective wine.

>> http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5057312.html

>| Research carried out for this year's International Wine
>| Challenge - the world's biggest wine competition - found
>| faults caused by screw caps are almost as common as cork
>| taint.
>
>N.B.: "almost as common".
>
>| From a blind tasting of 13,000 wines, they discovered 4% of
>| the wine with corks had faults from oxidation or high sulphide
>| levels - giving it an eggy flavour - compared with 2% of
>| screw-cap bottles.

Screw Caps for Cork? Richard Neidich Wine 11 11-03-2006 11:08 PM
Screw caps vs. corks Michael Pronay Wine 38 09-03-2006 08:50 AM
screw caps Robert Lewis Winemaking 21 02-02-2006 07:50 AM
Screw caps and Sauvignon. James Silverton Wine 9 27-01-2006 01:42 AM
Link to article on French wine sales in USA-6th straight montly decline dick Wine 0 01-10-2003 12:29 PM