FoodBanter.com

-   -   FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/101856-finger-lakes-wine-tasting.html)

jIM 21-09-2006 06:02 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

lynsam 23-09-2006 08:11 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

"jIM" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

Which have you visited before? Which of the other Lakes can you get to?
What wines do you like (Labrusca, Fr-Amer Hybrids, Vinifera)?

jIM 25-09-2006 03:39 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

lynsam wrote:
> "jIM" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> > ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

> Which have you visited before? Which of the other Lakes can you get to?
> What wines do you like (Labrusca, Fr-Amer Hybrids, Vinifera)?

Castle Gritsch, Lucas and Knapp are among the wineries of choice.
Goosewatch, Swedish Hill and Hazlitt are others we've been to.

Just looking for anything different... as some wineries may not be
listed online, and we are planning a November trip now.

lynsam 25-09-2006 06:52 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

"jIM" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> lynsam wrote:
>> "jIM" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
>> > ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

>> Which have you visited before? Which of the other Lakes can you get to?
>> What wines do you like (Labrusca, Fr-Amer Hybrids, Vinifera)?

> Castle Gritsch, Lucas and Knapp are among the wineries of choice.
> Goosewatch, Swedish Hill and Hazlitt are others we've been to.
>
> Just looking for anything different... as some wineries may not be
> listed online, and we are planning a November trip now.

Well, you have covered the vitis labrusca and the French-American hybrids.
Hazlitt 1852 does have some vitis vinifera unless you spent too much time
with the Red Cats :-).

If you stay on the west side of Cayuga, you might try Sheldrake Point and
Hosmer for some Riesling, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Franc. On the east side
of Seneca, you might try Standing Stone and Wagner.

Enjoy your trip and exploration of wineries.

DPM 27-09-2006 02:05 AM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

"jIM" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

Here's a few I've enjoyed. I should say that I'm usually only interested in
NY Riesling and occasionally Gewurztraminer - I find most non-vinifera wines
(with the possible exception of Seyval Blanc) appalling. Occasionally
you'll find a drinkable Cab Franc, but most other reds leave a lot to be
desired. That said, here's my list:

Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
Ravines
Heron Hill
Standing Stone
Hermann J. Wiemar
Miles Cellars
Lamoreaux Landing (gorgeous tasting room!)

HTH,
Dean

jIM 27-09-2006 09:17 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

DPM wrote:
> "jIM" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> > ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.
> >

> Here's a few I've enjoyed. I should say that I'm usually only interested in
> NY Riesling and occasionally Gewurztraminer - I find most non-vinifera wines
> (with the possible exception of Seyval Blanc) appalling. Occasionally
> you'll find a drinkable Cab Franc, but most other reds leave a lot to be
> desired. That said, here's my list:
>
> Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
> Ravines
> Heron Hill
> Standing Stone
> Hermann J. Wiemar
> Miles Cellars
> Lamoreaux Landing (gorgeous tasting room!)
>
> HTH,
> Dean

I think a wife's friend also mentioned the first one.

thx

Furious Shepherd 28-09-2006 02:52 AM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

"DPM" > wrote in message news:T7kSg.10389$Vk4.1899@trnddc01...

> "jIM" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
>> ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.
>>

> Here's a few I've enjoyed. I should say that I'm usually only interested
> in
> NY Riesling and occasionally Gewurztraminer - I find most non-vinifera
> wines
> (with the possible exception of Seyval Blanc) appalling. Occasionally
> you'll find a drinkable Cab Franc, but most other reds leave a lot to be
> desired. That said, here's my list:
>
> Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
> Ravines
> Heron Hill
> Standing Stone
> Hermann J. Wiemar
> Miles Cellars
> Lamoreaux Landing (gorgeous tasting room!)
>
> HTH,
> Dean

A****er is my favorite. However, most of these wineries are on Seneca Lake,
not Cayuga. I really perfer many of the wineries on Seneca.

jIM 28-09-2006 03:59 AM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

Furious Shepherd wrote:
> "DPM" > wrote in message news:T7kSg.10389$Vk4.1899@trnddc01...
> >
> > "jIM" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> >> ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.
> >>

> > Here's a few I've enjoyed. I should say that I'm usually only interested
> > in
> > NY Riesling and occasionally Gewurztraminer - I find most non-vinifera
> > wines
> > (with the possible exception of Seyval Blanc) appalling. Occasionally
> > you'll find a drinkable Cab Franc, but most other reds leave a lot to be
> > desired. That said, here's my list:
> >
> > Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
> > Ravines
> > Heron Hill
> > Standing Stone
> > Hermann J. Wiemar
> > Miles Cellars
> > Lamoreaux Landing (gorgeous tasting room!)
> >
> > HTH,
> > Dean
> >

> A****er is my favorite. However, most of these wineries are on Seneca Lake,
> not Cayuga. I really perfer many of the wineries on Seneca.

Our normal trip is along west side of Cayuga and we hit a few on east
side and south side of Seneca (Castle Gristch is one I know is on
Seneca... it's the last winery we go to on Cayuga trip).

We are leaving one day earlier this year to hit a different lake, so
that is why I asked which wineries on Seneca (or Keuka) others
recomend. What side of lake is A****er on?

Furious Shepherd 30-09-2006 04:21 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

"jIM" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Furious Shepherd wrote:
>> "DPM" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "jIM" > wrote in message
>> > ups.com...
>> >>

>> > Here's a few I've enjoyed. I should say that I'm usually only
>> > interested
>> > in
>> > NY Riesling and occasionally Gewurztraminer - I find most non-vinifera
>> > wines
>> > (with the possible exception of Seyval Blanc) appalling. Occasionally
>> > you'll find a drinkable Cab Franc, but most other reds leave a lot to
>> > be
>> > desired. That said, here's my list:
>> >
>> > Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
>> > Ravines
>> > Heron Hill
>> > Standing Stone
>> > Hermann J. Wiemar
>> > Miles Cellars
>> > Lamoreaux Landing (gorgeous tasting room!)
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Dean
>> >

>> A****er is my favorite. However, most of these wineries are on Seneca
>> Lake,
>> not Cayuga. I really perfer many of the wineries on Seneca.

> Our normal trip is along west side of Cayuga and we hit a few on east
> side and south side of Seneca (Castle Gristch is one I know is on
> Seneca... it's the last winery we go to on Cayuga trip).
>
> We are leaving one day earlier this year to hit a different lake, so
> that is why I asked which wineries on Seneca (or Keuka) others
> recomend. What side of lake is A****er on?

A****er is on the east side of Seneca. When driving north from Watkins Glen
it is one of the first wineries you'll see (it used to be first but some new
ones have sprung up since. I always stop at A****er, Hazlitt, Cateau
Lafayette, Lamereaux Landing and, finally, Wagner Valley (more for the
beers). Used to stop at Logan Ridge too and will likely stop there again as
soon as they find a new owner.

Castel Grisch, Seneca Shore (cheap and decent wines) and Arcadian (for the
cheeses) are favorite stops on the west shore. If you like mead, Earle
Estate isn't too bad.

jIM 01-10-2006 03:28 AM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

Furious Shepherd wrote:
> "jIM" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Furious Shepherd wrote:
> >> "DPM" > wrote in message

> >> A****er is my favorite. However, most of these wineries are on Seneca
> >> Lake,
> >> not Cayuga. I really perfer many of the wineries on Seneca.

> > Our normal trip is along west side of Cayuga and we hit a few on east
> > side and south side of Seneca (Castle Gristch is one I know is on
> > Seneca... it's the last winery we go to on Cayuga trip).
> >
> > We are leaving one day earlier this year to hit a different lake, so
> > that is why I asked which wineries on Seneca (or Keuka) others
> > recomend. What side of lake is A****er on?

> A****er is on the east side of Seneca. When driving north from Watkins Glen
> it is one of the first wineries you'll see (it used to be first but some new
> ones have sprung up since. I always stop at A****er, Hazlitt, Cateau
> Lafayette, Lamereaux Landing and, finally, Wagner Valley (more for the
> beers). Used to stop at Logan Ridge too and will likely stop there again as
> soon as they find a new owner.
>
> Castel Grisch, Seneca Shore (cheap and decent wines) and Arcadian (for the
> cheeses) are favorite stops on the west shore. If you like mead, Earle
> Estate isn't too bad.

thank you again for referrals.

I have heard of A****er, I think we wnet to Wagner last time, but line
was too long, so we left. We have spider bite from Hazlitt in the
fridge, I think, so I know we like Hazlitt as well.

always a sucker for a new experience. If other opinions exist, please
chime in.

Thank you again.

jIM 13-11-2006 03:31 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

jIM wrote:
> going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

pleasently surprised... hit 16 wineries in 2 days. Of the 16, 10 were
new (to my wife and I). Highly recomend Americana on Cayuga and Hunt
Club on Keuka. In addition to the Knapp, Lucas and Castle Gritsch
vineyards we hit every year. Also impressed with Swedish hill.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 13-11-2006 05:42 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

jIM wrote:
> jIM wrote:
>> going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
>> ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

> pleasently surprised... hit 16 wineries in 2 days. Of the 16, 10 were
> new (to my wife and I). Highly recomend Americana on Cayuga and Hunt
> Club on Keuka. In addition to the Knapp, Lucas and Castle Gritsch
> vineyards we hit every year. Also impressed with Swedish hill.

Excellent timing, Jim! I am going to post an article of travel advice
(destined for the alt.food.wine FAQ) to the Finger Lakes culled from
recent threads here. If you can, please keep an eye out for it and
give me whatever feedback you can.

Mark Lipton

AyTee 14-11-2006 06:15 AM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

jIM wrote:
> jIM wrote:
> > going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> > ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

> pleasently surprised... hit 16 wineries in 2 days. Of the 16, 10 were
> new (to my wife and I). Highly recomend Americana on Cayuga and Hunt
> Club on Keuka. In addition to the Knapp, Lucas and Castle Gritsch
> vineyards we hit every year. Also impressed with Swedish hill.

Glad you had a good trip. Please tell us about the wines.

Andy

Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg 14-11-2006 07:42 AM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

Vinifera from the Finger Lakes specially riesling & chardonnay are much
better than the hyped up Lung Island wines. LH Ravat & vidal are good
dessert wines & the pinot noir is encouraging. In the meantime LI is making
out of balance cab franc & overoaked chard & sauvignon blanc as the swells
who summer in the Hamptons pay outrageous sums for winemakers, land & grapes
to compete with Napa scenemakers. La di dah.
oups.com...

jIM 14-11-2006 03:08 PM

FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING

AyTee wrote:
> jIM wrote:
> > jIM wrote:
> > > going to cayuga wine trails- which wineries on other lakes are good
> > > ones? Want to try some we haven't been to before.

> > pleasently surprised... hit 16 wineries in 2 days. Of the 16, 10 were
> > new (to my wife and I). Highly recomend Americana on Cayuga and Hunt
> > Club on Keuka. In addition to the Knapp, Lucas and Castle Gritsch
> > vineyards we hit every year. Also impressed with Swedish hill.

> Glad you had a good trip. Please tell us about the wines.
>
> Andy

I tend to like semi-dry wines. Generally tend to prefer whites over
reds when I taste them, so I am always looking for a good red.

I tasted several late harvest wines. Most were good. November Harvest
from Americana was "sweet" enough for my wife and dry enough for me,
and was a red wine. I was surprised my wife liked it, actually.

Vignoles from Lucas, Knapp and Hunt also were quite good.