Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pessac-Leognan Notes

Notes from a dinner event featuring the wines of Pessac-Leognan, the
Bordeaux sub-region formerly part of Graves (the lesser wines were left
under that commune name), prior to 1987.

We had wines with dinner, which I shall describe first, and then shared
the odd glass with different tables, resulting in the chance to gain
wider ranging if somewhat sketchier notes on many more wines. Those
notes will be added below the dinner notes.

Taittinger NV Champagne - pleasant nose, good mousse, a bit simple
but clean on palate.

with lamb croquette, wild salmon tartare and smoked duck breast
canapés

2000 Carbonnieux - a white for the seafood course. Nice fat rich
lemon and honey nose, but only medium body and modest length.

with scallop and wilted arugula salad

1988 Haut Bailly - dark wine with an excellent fruit driven nose,
mature, up front soft tannins that seemed to fade after 10 minutes, and
a long juicy finish. Fruit on palate was good but not lavish.

1988 Pape Clement - excellent penetrating nose of fruit and earth,,
similar wine that improved with time in glass and more acidity at the
end than the Haut Bailly.

1995 Cruzeau - served as a mystery wine, blind, this showed ripe
fruit and some spice in the nose, compact on palate, ending with good
acidity. Well priced Bordeaux that routinely outperforms its price.

with duck confit, morels, Madeira sauce and truffle flan.

1995 Haut Bailly - I was delighted to find that I had some of this in
the cellar! Sweet fruit and berries in the nose, and vanilla, lots of
fairly soft tannins, a lovely smooth tasty wine with time ahead of it.

1989 de Fieuzal - not as impressed with this one. Slightly funky
nose, and the fruit on palate seemed a bit low, the wine riding on
acidity at the end. It also exhibited a slight vegetal note that was
off-putting. If you have it, drink up.

with wild boar stuffed with foie gras

1998 Haut Bailly - big sweet rich fruit, sweet on palate, but also
soft, not a wine for the long haul.

1998 Smith Haut Lafite - dark, and with another vegetal nose that
blew off a bit, some up front fresh acidity on palate, tannins soft,
good fruit, a forward elegant wine marred only by the lingering nose
problem.

with cheeses

Now the other wines I had a chance to taste:

1975 Dom. de Chevalier - I thought of bringing a 1981 but figured
that this wine is usually elegant and doesn't benefit from being put
up against brawnier competition. The 1975 is certainly the exception to
this. It was showing a flowery nose, the remaining tannins were soft,
and it was a tasty wine much better than other bottles I have had. From
a cold cellar.

1988 Dom. de Chevalier - not much happening in this nose, and an
almost sour/acidic thing at the end on palate. None for me, thanks!

1970 Haut Brion (magnum) - I am pretty familiar with this wine from
regular bottle, but this one handily surpassed any of those I've
tasted. Coffee nose, excellent flavour concentration, ending with soft
tannin. Very nice!

1982 Haut Brion - nice nose well integrated fruit, although a
chaptalised wine with lower natural fruit than the 82 La Mission, and
good length. This wine showed better when younger, when it even
surpassed the 1983 on occasion.

1983 Haut Brion - browning edges, very harmonious nose, smooth in the
mouth and with some soft tannins, but mostly resolved, and excellent
fruit, better now than the 1982. Perfectly ready now.

1995 Smith Haut Lafite - a decent nose, but lean and compact in the
mouth. I've had better bottles.

1982 Malartic Lagraviere - yes, a wine that I finished years ago,
pegging it as needing to be drunk up, yet this one showed well. Colour
now pale, and slightly high acidity at the end, but surprisingly alive.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Bill,

On 10 Sep 2006 11:02:07 -0700
"Bill S." > wrote:

> 1988 Haut Bailly - dark wine with an excellent fruit driven nose,
> mature, up front soft tannins that seemed to fade after 10 minutes, and
> a long juicy finish. Fruit on palate was good but not lavish.

Interested to see this come up in your tasting. We drank the 88 a
few weeks ago, along with the 89 at the same dinner. I think both
bottles were damaged. For me the 88 was completely scalped;
none of the juice I hoped for and you report. The 89 was less
damaged but problematic all the same, very tough and almost
no fruit showing, but still with some interesting tarry depths that
stood up well to the sanglier.

Glad to hear I may hope for more from my remaining bottles!

I'm sadly not holding what sounds like an excellent 95, when it
became available to me the price was creeping up over $US35,
and I gave it the pass. Too bad!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Zin Notes Bill S. Wine 2 27-02-2012 01:00 AM
TN Pessac and OR Pinot Gris, both good deals DaleW Wine 1 26-08-2007 03:32 PM
TN: Pessac, Bourgueil, Macon, and Mendocino DaleW Wine 0 04-08-2006 11:38 PM
pu notes Falky foo Tea 1 22-01-2005 07:28 PM
IGT Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 23-03-2004 03:28 PM