Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Niagara on the lake

I'm in Niagara on the Lake for the next few days and will have some
unexpected free time. Can anyone recommend a good winery tour there? Any
favorite wines I should look for?

Had a very nice Riesling at dinner at The Stone Road grill this evening. A
2005 Charles Baker Riesling by Stratus winery. Will probably stop there for
tasting tomorrow but understand the tour is nothing special.

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Jon,

There are a few places that offer day tours. Here are a few links to
some of the wineries.

http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/Wine...ies/content.do

http://www.niagaraonthelake.worldweb...riesVineyards/

Hope this helps - and do let us know which you visit, and what you
thought of your time there.

Cheers,

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Jon,
> There are a few places that offer day tours. Here are a few links to
> some of the wineries.
> http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/Wine...ies/content.do
> http://www.niagaraonthelake.worldweb...riesVineyards/
> Hope this helps - and do let us know which you visit, and what you
> thought of your time there.
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks David. That was a big help.

We made it to 3 wineries. We started at Stratus hoping to pick up some of
the Charles Baker Riesling we had the night before. Unfortunately, we found
it was produced in a small batch of 250 cases and had been sold via a
waiting list the day of its release. Stratus is a very small vineyard and
only produces a few wines each year. Once the wines are released they don't
usually make it 'till the end of the that year before they sell out.
Consequently, they only had 4 wines to taste. We did enjoy the 2002
Chardonnay enough to pick up a few bottles.

We stopped at Jackson-Triggs next and took both the vineyard tour and the
cellar-tasting tour. Jackson-Triggs is a much larger label and offers a full
selection of wines. We picked up a few bottles of the 2004 Proprietors
Reserve Gewutrz and 2 bottles of he Cabernet Franc Icewine as gifts.

I was a bit depressed that I hadn't found any reds I enjoyed during the 4
days in the region. Our visit to Peller Estates winery changed that. We
found a wonderful '99 merlot and an '01 Cab that were both outstanding. The
vineyard was the most picturesque of the bunch, probably because we dawdled
until dusk and had a sumptuous dinner in the main dining room at a table
with a view as the sun set.

A very nice trip.

Jon

Niagara VQAs Chuck Reid Wine 3 31-08-2010 03:16 PM
Wineries to visit in Finger Lakes & Niagara-on-the-Lake Rusty[_2_] Wine 6 28-07-2009 08:21 PM
Niagara Ice Wines Richard Neidich Wine 3 02-07-2009 03:23 PM
Niagara Ice Wines Richard Neidich Wine 5 19-06-2009 08:34 PM
Alas Niagara.... Chuck Reid Wine 1 19-07-2005 04:44 AM