FoodBanter.com

-   Vegetarian cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/)
-   -   Vegetarian Camping/Cooking? (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/91192-vegetarian-camping-cooking.html)

Wharfrat 11-05-2006 11:26 PM

Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).

I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.

Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....

I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....

The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
easy...and would make a good meal.

Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.

Thanks for any help you have to offer! :)

Tracey[_1_] 12-05-2006 11:16 AM

Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
[excessive quoting removed - gedge/moderator]
> Thanks for any help you have to offer! :)

Are these links any good to you:
http://www.vegcooking.com/campingrecipes.asp
http://cooking.sondrak.com/articles/...uidelines.html
http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/bb...print/54P1.asp [has animal-based recipes - gedge/moderator]
http://www.koa.com/recipes/files/0755.htm
http://www.koa.com/recipes/files/0587.htm

Tracey

Richard Kaszeta 12-05-2006 06:31 PM

Wharfrat > writes:
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).

Actually, since they patties themselves are sealed individually, they
actually keep surprisingly well.

Random things I've made camping that are good and vegetarian (and can
be vegan as well with some effort):

Pancakes of all varieties
Macaroni and cheese (use soy milk since you can get it in aseptic
packages)
Bruschetta (toast over the propane stove)
Burritos (plenty of opportunity here, including breakfast burritos if
she eats eggs. Portabellos. Dehydrated refried beans)
Mushroom soup (I've made a really good one using veggie broth cubes,
dried mushrooms, and soy milk)
Hobo pies
Hummus, tabouleh, and pitas
Vegetarian tater tot hotdish
Red beans and rice (although this takes a while to really simmer down)
Akara (black-eyed pea fritters)

For the advanced cook, you can actually do a good biscuits and gravy:
use dried TVP or morningstar flour and soy milk for the gravy (to get good
results you need to be able to make a good non-veggies biscuits and
gravy to get the texture right), and you can make or reheat biscuits on the
stove (although I recommend using a dutch oven if that's a possibility)

> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.

Any campfire opportunities? If so, veggie kabobs are quite good.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

[email protected] 17-05-2006 03:19 PM

Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

You can also pre-mix lentis, dried mushrooms and veggies (try your
aisian markes), dry spices, and cook it for supper. When I'm
backpacking, I'll boil water in the morning, put a pre-measured bag of
this stuff and hot water in a thermos, and you've got a hot lunch when
you stop.

You're lucky you are camping, because everything tastes much better
when it comes off of a campstove.