FoodBanter.com

-   Vegetarian cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/)
-   -   replacement for butter on cabbage (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegetarian-cooking/86620-replacement-butter-cabbage.html)

jw 1111 23-03-2006 03:47 PM

replacement for butter on cabbage

Hi,

We all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting.

Since our family has stopped using butter is there an alternative(preferably a healthy one) that we can use to put on the cabbage?

many thanks.

Elderberry Blossom 24-03-2006 12:01 PM

replacement for butter on cabbage

Soy Garden Margarine http://www.earthbalance.net

Or a drizzle of olive oil and toss with a smashed clove of garlic.

Vicky Conlan 24-03-2006 12:03 PM

According to >:
>Since our family has stopped using butter is there an
>alternative(preferably a healthy one) that we can use to put on the
>cabbage?

If you're in the UK, tesco and sainsburys (probably other places too)
stock a 'butter like' bottle in the oil section which I've found quite
convincing for cooking mushrooms. I've not tried actually using it as
a topping, though. Sorry for the lack of detail, but I can try and
find out more about it next time I see it, if you like.

Anon[_3_] 24-03-2006 12:03 PM

jw 1111 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
> green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting.
>
> Since our family has stopped using butter is there an alternative(preferably a healthy one) that we can use to put on the cabbage?
>
> many thanks.

Depending on your definition of "healthy", margarine is worse than
butter... and most anything else that resembles butter will just be
chemicals.. which also isnt healthy.

jw 1111 26-03-2006 04:26 AM

"Anon" > wrote in message ...
> jw 1111 wrote:
>> Hi, We all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
>> green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting.....

> Depending on your definition of "healthy", margarine is worse than
> butter...

Thanks to all replies. could anon elaborate please on why they think
margarine is worse than butter? i heard someone say that before but dont
know their reasons. thanks

Anon[_3_] 26-03-2006 12:57 PM

jw 1111 wrote:
> "Anon" > wrote in message ...
>> jw 1111 wrote:
>>> Hi, We all know how a bit of butter over cabbage and brockley and other
>>> green vegetables can make it seem a lot more interesting.....

>> Depending on your definition of "healthy", margarine is worse than
>> butter...

> Thanks to all replies. could anon elaborate please on why they think
> margarine is worse than butter? i heard someone say that before but dont
> know their reasons. thanks

Here are a few links.

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/21/trans_fat.htm

http://www.dhn-online.org/freeIssue/transFat.html

and a very good article by Dr. Andrew Weil

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/margbutt.htm

For me, I eat butter because I want to avoid trans-fats. Both prducts
contain saturated fats, margarine intake can lead to increased cancer
rates and can lower good choelesterol... neither is good for you and
butter (to me) tastes better. I buy only organic butter as the hormones
used in the cattle are stored in the fat cells which would concentrate
in butter and milk products...

There is a lot of info on the web and I would suggest not listening to
me, but doing your own research.

Hope that helps a little.

Elderberry Blossom 26-03-2006 12:57 PM

replacement for butter on cabbage

most margarines are hydrogenated (an artificial lipid bond with the same
structure as lard) the "Soy Garden" that I suggested is non-hydrogenated.

Cat-Tea Corner 18-04-2006 10:39 PM

replacement for butter on cabbage

The tastiest and butteriest IMNSHO is Soy Garden by Earth Balance. It
actually melts, too, unlike many soy dairy products. I use it all the
time on potatoes, vegetables, a slice of bread, and not one dairy eater
has yet realized it's not butter. See
http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html#p4 for more details.

Some other tasty, more healthful, but definitely high-fat alternatives
to season veggies etc.:

-- Use the oil from sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. If you put it in
the 'fridge it will solidify somewhat. Or whirl some of the oil with
one or two of the tomatoes for a really rich treat.

-- Whirl extra virgin olive oil with a few black olives for a rich
topping/dip.

-- Toasted sesame oil and a sprinkling of gomasio (sesame salt).

-- Or just use a very high-quality, fruity, and tasty extra virgin
olive oil with seasonings.

Less fatty but it's a do-it-yourselfer:

-- This classic East European garlic sauce is *excellent* on cabbage
and other veggies, but don't serve it to a hot date ;-):
http://www.catteacorner.com/vegan-f.htm#mujdei

For more recipes see our vegan recipe collection at The Cat-Tea Corner
www.catteacorner.com

# # # #