Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Making Hummus

When I make hummus at home it doesn't come out nice and smooth like bought
stuff.

I'm using a hand blender, should I use a food processor?

I've tried adding water, and I put in oil and tahhini.

Any tips?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
jmk jmk is offline

Garland wrote:
> When I make hummus at home it doesn't come out nice and smooth like bought
> stuff.
>
> I'm using a hand blender, should I use a food processor?

Yes, a food processor is easiest.

--
jmk in NC
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

they say to remove the skins from the garbanzoes if you want it really
smooth. personalkly, i'm too lazy for that!
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Thanks

But will a food processor give it a creamy texture like the stuff sold in
shops, or does it not make any difference if I use a hand blender.

How come mine comes out lumpy and not smooth.

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
jmk jmk is offline

Garland wrote:
> Thanks
>
> But will a food processor give it a creamy texture like the stuff sold in
> shops, or does it not make any difference if I use a hand blender.
>
> How come mine comes out lumpy and not smooth.
>
> Thanks

Either the beans were not cooked enough or you did not process it enough
or both. Are you using tahini or anything else in it?

--
jmk in NC

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

I usually soak 12hs and cook 2hs.. is that enough?, but I just tried using
more water, and it came out better

I made one with garlic, ginger, hot sauce, mustard and lemon.. not bad.

I'm just wondering if it would be smoother if I used a food processor rather
than a hand blender, as the hand blender also has a blade, and I'd rather
not buy a food processor.

Thanks

"jmk" > wrote in message
> Garland wrote:
>> But will a food processor give it a creamy texture like the stuff sold in
>> shops, or does it not make any difference if I use a hand blender.
>> How come mine comes out lumpy and not smooth.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Garland wrote:
> When I make hummus at home it doesn't come out nice and smooth like bought
> stuff.
>
> I'm using a hand blender, should I use a food processor?
> I've tried adding water, and I put in oil and tahhini.

try mixing your tahini and water separately.
Tahini is funny stuff, it stiffens when you add a little water but
smooths out when you add more.
Mix the tahini and water to a heavy cream consistency, then add to your
mashed chickpeas and blend.

Good Luck
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

OK

I'll try..I found that you have to add quite a lot of water to hummus to get
a nice texture, when using tahini.