Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Where Can I Get the Products in Vegetarian Restaurants?

Hi all,

We LOVE some of the products used in the places we out in. The "fake
chicken" seiten, "fried chicken drumsticks" , vegetarian "fish" and
gravy.

Where can I find these products so I can use them at home? The stuff at

the supermarket (Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc) doesn't hold a candle to

it.

Thanks for your help
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:16:40 GMT, "Leen" > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We LOVE some of the products used in the places we out in. The "fake
>chicken" seiten, "fried chicken drumsticks" , vegetarian "fish" and
>gravy.
>

>Where can I find these products so I can use them at home?

We find it in the International aisle of our (good,
mostly-health-food) grocery store. You might try an Asian grocery
store if you don't have a store with a good Asian-foods aisle.

serene
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
jmk jmk is offline

serene wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:16:40 GMT, "Leen" > wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>We LOVE some of the products used in the places we out in. The "fake
>>chicken" seiten, "fried chicken drumsticks" , vegetarian "fish" and
>>gravy.
>>

>>Where can I find these products so I can use them at home?

> We find it in the International aisle of our (good,
> mostly-health-food) grocery store. You might try an Asian grocery
> store if you don't have a store with a good Asian-foods aisle.
>
> serene

Do you have a Whole Foods near you? They carry most of that as well as
the Asian markets mentioned above. Also, some items might be in your
regular grocery store near the Boca Burgers (if frozen) or in the
produce section by the bagged salads and such (if refrigerated).

--
jmk in NC
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Thanks to both your replies. I get the Boco and all of that, but the
stuff I get in vegetarian eateries are of a better quality. For
example, my boyfriend had sauteed "chicken" seiten medallions that was
just such an excellent texture and taste, and I had fake fried
"chicken" drumsticks that were almost like the real thing. I have never
found thatkind of quality in supermarkets.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:05:14 GMT, "Leen" > wrote:

>Thanks to both your replies. I get the Boco and all of that, but the
>stuff I get in vegetarian eateries are of a better quality. For
>example, my boyfriend had sauteed "chicken" seiten medallions that was
>just such an excellent texture and taste, and I had fake fried
>"chicken" drumsticks that were almost like the real thing. I have never
>found thatkind of quality in supermarkets.

Right, I know exactly what you mean. You really should try the Asian
stuff, which is usually labelled as "mock chicken", "mock duck," etc.
Also, Bryanna Clark Grogan and Joanne Stepaniak have some great seitan
recipes, and Bryanna's are consistently given as eerily close replicas
of meat foods.

serene

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
jmk jmk is offline

Leen wrote:
> Thanks to both your replies. I get the Boco and all of that, but the
> stuff I get in vegetarian eateries are of a better quality. For
> example, my boyfriend had sauteed "chicken" seiten medallions that was
> just such an excellent texture and taste, and I had fake fried
> "chicken" drumsticks that were almost like the real thing. I have never
> found thatkind of quality in supermarkets.

Please reread my post. I didn't say to use the Boca (although feel
free), I said to check BY THE BOCA. The seiten, however, will most
likely be in the refrigerated section. Quorn, etc. will be BY THE BOCA.

--
jmk in NC
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Thanks Serene! I'm assuming you mean the Asian stuff you can get
online? Anyone have specific sites they can recommend to purchase?

Again, thank you.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:02:54 GMT, "Leen" > wrote:

>Thanks Serene! I'm assuming you mean the Asian stuff you can get
>online? Anyone have specific sites they can recommend to purchase?

I buy them in a bricks-and-mortar store, but I'll get you the brand
info for the stuff I get:

Vegetarian Mock Chicken Meat (Braised Su-Jee)

Contents: Fried gluten, salt, sugar, soysauce (soybean, salt, water),
salad oil, water

Distributed by U.S. Trading Co., Hayward, CA 94545

Toll-free 1-800-453-5502, Fax 1-800-844-8885

http://www.ustrading.com

If you go to that page, then click "English > VEGETABLES >
Vegetarians", you'll see all three varieties (chicken, duck, and
abalone) that we get here for $1.69 a can.

I'll bet if you call them, they can tell you where you can get their
products.

serene, who also makes her own seitan (gluten) from time to time
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Thanks for the link!
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

I'm vegetarian and I love Subway. They have a Veggie Delight with 3
grams of fat, 9 grams of protein and 230 cal. total for the 6-inch. If
you need to take kids out, McDonald's side salad is pretty good for $1
although the tomatoes are often soft. I buy a couple of those salads.
They have 15 cal each and essentially no fat or protein.

At home, if you use Sara Lee's Delightful bread that comes in whole
wheat, honey whole wheat and multigrain, there is only 45 cal per slice
which is about half the calories of most bread for the same size slice.
It is quite good, too. It also contains 3 g of protein per slice. I
love it.

Except for Subway and McDonalds, I am usually disappointed eating out
because I cannot get exactly what I want. They put salt or cheese or
oil or who know's what in their food so that you cannot know the fat,
protein, salt, calories very accurately. Salad bars may be safe though.
It is entirely possible to be vegetarian and eat a terrible diet that
is high in fat, sugar and salt and low in protein, if you are not
careful, which is likely what you will find in most restaurants.

Most of the things I eat are not restaurant fare....oatmeal, egg
whites, lactose-free milk, blueberries, cabbage (without bacon or salt
flavoring), green beans (without salt or butter/margarine), brown rice,
plain fruit and vegetables.

The biggest problem I have being vegetarian though is dealing with
family and friends who do not respect my food choices and try to foist
their idea of vegetarian food on me by selecting a restaurant that has
nothing I can eat, feeling slighted if I don't eat their food, or
constantly reminding me that a little meat or whatever won't hurt me,
or I'm too thin, or telling me that vegetarian diets are no healthier
than other diets, etc. etc.