Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Making Humus

When I make home-made hummus it comes out very dry.

I didn't use a food processor to mush it up, just a hand held blender, could
this be the reason. Or do I need to add water or something else.

I just used well cooked chick peas (1hr after soaking), oil, garlic, lemon
and tahhini.

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:08:47 GMT, "Garland" > wrote:

>When I make home-made hummus it comes out very dry.
>
>I didn't use a food processor to mush it up, just a hand held blender, could
>this be the reason. Or do I need to add water or something else.
>
>I just used well cooked chick peas (1hr after soaking), oil, garlic, lemon
>and tahhini.

If my hummus is too dry, I add either the water from cooking the
chickpeas, a couple of jarred roasted red peppers (they're very
moisture-intensive), or more lemon juice. If you want, you could also
add olive oil, but I never do. Here's my hummus recipe:

Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained, or 2 cups cooked beans (reserve some of
the water if you want)
the juice of one medium or two small lemons
1 clove garlic or some garlic powder, to taste (roasted garlic also
works great)
salt to taste, optional
2-3 pieces roasted red pepper, optional
1-4 tablespoons tahini

I blend it with an immersion blender (hand-held stick blender), but
I'm sure a food processor would be fine, too.

serene
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

I'll give it a try, home made hummus is a lot nicer than store-bought.

I thought maybe my hand blender wasn't doing the job, and was about to buy a
food processor, but I'll see how this goes.

What is the best way to cook beans so they don't give you gas?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:06:34 GMT, "Abby" > wrote:

>I'll give it a try, home made hummus is a lot nicer than store-bought.
>
>I thought maybe my hand blender wasn't doing the job, and was about to buy a
>food processor, but I'll see how this goes.

Yeah, I have no trouble with it myself. Just add more moisture if you
want. Of course, I hear that the best way to get a smoothe texture in
hummus is to skin the cooked garbanzos, but there's no way I'm going
there.

>What is the best way to cook beans so they don't give you gas?

They don't seem to give us gas, because we're accustomed to them. I
have seen recommendations of (a) throwing out the soaking water and
cooking the beans in fresh water, or (b) adding a hunk of epazote to
the cooking water.

serene
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Yes, I've tried adding water, it helps, but is it better made in a food
processor, I'm just using a hand blender.

I've read if you eat beans, over time, you build up the ability to deal with
them, thus no gas.. here's hoping!

I threw in some fresh green pepper and shallots, green onions.. and chillies
sauce, came out quite nice..

[moderator removed excessive quoting - gedge]