Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Steve

Default Edamme & regular soy beans

Hi;

I had edamme for the first time several weeks ago.

It was green, shaped like and tasted like fresh baby lima beans.

I found this to be interesting as all of the dried soybeans I have seen
are small, beige pellets. Once soaked they remain beige( I've had black
ones from a can )and are not similar to edamme.

Is edamme a differnt variety of soy bean then what is sold dried?

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send

Steve wrote:

> Is edamme a differnt variety of soy bean then what is sold dried?

I believe they are the immature form, just like green beans are an
immature bean, and the beige-colored ones you see are the mature bean,
like you would buy kidney beans, garbanzo beans, or whatever.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Viviane

Steve wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I had edamme for the first time several weeks ago.
>
> It was green, shaped like and tasted like fresh baby lima beans.
>
> I found this to be interesting as all of the dried soybeans I have seen
> are small, beige pellets. Once soaked they remain beige( I've had black
> ones from a can )and are not similar to edamme.
>
> Is edamme a differnt variety of soy bean then what is sold dried?
>
> Steve

Hi,

It's actually called "edamame". A Google search will give you almost
600 000 hits!

Viviane
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>I found this to be interesting as all of the dried soybeans I have seen
>are small, beige pellets. Once soaked they remain beige( I've had black
>ones from a can )and are not similar to edamme.
>
>Is edamme a differnt variety of soy bean then what is sold dried?

I was at the veggie show thing at Wembley this weekend (which, incidentally,
was awful - too many people, too many queues! There looked like there were
some good samples on offer, but you couldn't get near them without waiting
for half an hour) and someone had an edamame stall, and from the blurb on
and around it, they seem to be the less developed bean than what you are
probably used to.

In fact, from edamame.com:

what's edamame?

Edamame is a green vegetable more commonly known as a soybean,
harvested at the peak of ripening right before it reaches the
"hardening" time. The word Edamame means "Beans on Branches," and it
grows in clusters on bushy branches. To retain the freshness and its
natural flavor, it is parboiled and quick-frozen. In East Asia, the
soybean has been used for over two thousand years as a major source of
protein. Edamame is consumed as a snack, a vegetable dish, used in
soups or processed into sweets. As a snack, the pods are lightly
boiled in salted water, and then the seeds are squeezed directly from
the pods into the mouth with the fingers.

--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
EastneyEnder

Vicky Conlan wrote:
> .....Edamame is consumed as a snack, a vegetable dish, used in
> soups or processed into sweets. As a snack, the pods are lightly
> boiled in salted water, and then the seeds are squeezed directly from
> the pods into the mouth with the fingers.

They are delicious.

They don't seem to have caught on over here yet, but I had them 4 years ago
as a starter in a Japanese restaurant in New Orleans. I recently saw some
frozen ones for sale in my local Chinese supermarket and I am sorely tempted
to try them!

Sue
Portsmouth, UK
--
pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>They don't seem to have caught on over here yet, but I had them 4 years ago
>as a starter in a Japanese restaurant in New Orleans. I recently saw some
>frozen ones for sale in my local Chinese supermarket and I am sorely tempted
>to try them!

If you have a local wagamamas restaurant (or visit somewhere with one)
they have them as a side dish. (in the unshelled, salted style, rather
than the frozen ones which appear to be pre-popped, ime)

--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
EastneyEnder

Vicky Conlan wrote:

> If you have a local wagamamas restaurant (or visit somewhere with one)
> they have them as a side dish. (in the unshelled, salted style, rather
> than the frozen ones which appear to be pre-popped, ime)

I don't think we do have a Wagamama anywhere near here, but the frozen ones
I saw were still in their shells, so all I need now are instructions on how
to prepare them!

Sue
Portsmouth, UK
--
pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Jude

All I do is put them in a bowl, pods and all, with a few tablespoons of
water. I micriwave them for 2 minutes to thaw and warm them, then
sprinkle to pods with coarse kosher salt. We suck the pods and pop the
beans out as we're eating them. Couldn't be easier!
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>All I do is put them in a bowl, pods and all, with a few tablespoons of
>water. I micriwave them for 2 minutes to thaw and warm them, then
>sprinkle to pods with coarse kosher salt. We suck the pods and pop the
>beans out as we're eating them. Couldn't be easier!

Actually, I have a bit of a dim question - what's the point of the salt
when you are only eating the inside?

--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Jude

Vicky Conlan wrote:
> According to >:
> >All I do is put them in a bowl, pods and all, with a few tablespoons of
> >water. I micriwave them for 2 minutes to thaw and warm them, then
> >sprinkle to pods with coarse kosher salt. We suck the pods and pop the
> >beans out as we're eating them. Couldn't be easier!

> Actually, I have a bit of a dim question - what's the point of the salt
> when you are only eating the inside?
>
> --
> Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/

well, i like to put the whoe pods in my mouth and use my teeth to
extract the beans. so the salt makes them taste salty when i put the
pods in my mouth. I suppose I could shell the beans by hand and then
salt the beans, but that's more work.

The salt definitely perks up the flavor. They're quite mild.