Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Steve

Default Curry: Oriental versus Indian

I have been having some very enjoyable curry dishes in Chinese, Korean (
okay, Java Green ) and Vietemese restaurants.

Unlike some Indian curries I have had these curries do not cover up the
taste of the food and are tasty without being overpowering.

Does anyone know what the primary differences are between Indian and
Oriental curries?

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

to my knowlege there isnt much difference in the curries
besides curry powders (used as spice rubs) and pastes which tend to be
the better of the 2....there are primarily 3 kinds of curry pastes the
orange being the least hot usually ground coriander, tumeric,
cumin,tamarind with coconut milk to provide a sweeter/sour paste..
the green and red curries are mostly ground chilis with a few spices
and also with coconut milk..
be weary when using more than a teaspoon of that stuff in a sauce for 4
people!!
i use the curry pastes when preparing chineese, thai and indian without
much notice from the consumers..
(except thai likes to use a pronounced basil flavor in their curries.
hope it helps....
http://minstrelsculinaryendeavors.blogspot.com/
my new culinary arts blog this week its BEER...
no im not vegitarian, but have much respect and friends who are so i
cook alot,,,my friends are all in the raw foods diet these daze...i can
never please!!-ken
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Christopher Richards

"Steve" > wrote in message
>I have been having some very enjoyable curry dishes in Chinese, Korean (
> okay, Java Green ) and Vietemese restaurants.
>
> Unlike some Indian curries I have had these curries do not cover up the
> taste of the food and are tasty without being overpowering.
>
> Does anyone know what the primary differences are between Indian and
> Oriental curries?
>
> Steve
>
> Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html
>
> "The great American thought trap: It is not real
> unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
> shopping mall"

I grew up in the UK. The family had been in India for generations. My
grandfather lived with us. He had (Indian) curry powder on everything. We
had fairly mild Indian curries growing up. When I was an art student it was
a macho thing to go and eat the hottest curry in many of the curry houses in
Winchester. Most restaurants would have five degrees of heat from mild (what
you would get in an Indian restaurant in the US) to very hot. Most would
experience some pain when eating Vindaloo but only the extravagantly addled
would attempt Tintindaloo.

I remember my dad getting rather misty eyed reminiscing about a curry he
had when fighting in the Northwest Frontier in the 1930's. The idea of curry
is to be able to eat food that has gone off.

Patak curry pastes can be had in most Indian grocery stores. I recommend it.
As for Asian curries. I used to have a Japanese girlfriend who made curry
from something that looked like a chocolate bar called golden
something-or-other. It is very mild and rather coats everything with its
taste. Needless to say I didn't care for it. Thai curries use more coconut
milk and tend to be more delicate but can also be rather hot, so be careful.
They all might have the name curry, but they are different dishes.

If you get an Indian curry that is too hot, eat it with yogurt and a lot of
rice.

A life without curry is not worth living. I think Socrates said that.
CR
www.teamadness.com
slightly true stories of tea drinking
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Earthmagic

Default (iso): Soy Grits recipes

Someone gave me about 3 pounds of soy grits and I can't find many recipes that use them. Does anyone know of, or have any recipes using them?

Thanks,
Rhonda