Robert

Default Fried Red Tomatoes - A Summer Favorite - And More

All,

I have been enjoying the end of summer bounty from the two wonderful
tomato plants in the back yard. Including "Fried Tomatoes" like I grew
up with in the 50's. When talking about my "version" of fried tomatoes
with others, I have found that they were very unusual, and no one had
heard of. But they sure are good (: So I hope you all might enjoy my
recipe...

Ingredients:
Fresh red, juicy, home grown tomatoes
Flour with salt and pepper
Hot frying pan with oil
Bread toast "buttered" with margarine

Procedu
A hot frying pan with some oil (I use a square electric one)
In a bowl combine flour with some salt and pepper (to taste)
Slice tomatoes in thick slices
Add some flour mixture to a flat platter
Slide and coat the tomato slices with the flour in the platter
Place the coated tomatoes in the frying pan and cook until browned.
Removed the cooked tomatoes to another platter
Start making toast and "buttering" it and place in a basket
Continue cooking all your tomatoes until done

By now the frying pan has lots of broken, browned tomato bits
Add a few more "squishy" tomato slices and break them up
Add milk to the pan and stir until you have a thick, pink gravy
(Now, 50 years later, I use plain soy milk with good results)

Serving:
Place "buttered" toast on a plate and top with cooked tomato slices
Add "pink" gravy on top.
Cut, eat and _enjoy_! Oh Boy! is this good (:
Serve with sweetened iced tea

Notes:
I now use a whole grain flour to add to the browning, but remember,
the tomatoes are the star of the show. And use white bread for toast,
like I said, the tomatoes and gravy are the main attraction. But now
days, one could use a good white bread instead of the 50's Wonder
Bread.

Another Adapted Tomato Favorite - BLT's:

Ingredients:
Fresh red, juicy, home grown tomatoes
Fresh rinsed and dried green lettuce
Salt and pepper
Good whole wheat bread
"Bacon Chips"
Soy "Mayonnaise"

Procedu
Place two slices of bread on a plate
Cover one with "mayo"
Spread "bacon chips" on the "mayo" to "glue" them in place
Add thick tomato slices on top
Salt and pepper
Add lettuce and top with the other piece of bread
Cut in half and enjoy!

Notes:
I use "Betty Crocker" "Bac-Os" chips. I have called them and as far as
I can tell, they are vegan. TVP, smoke flavor and vegetable oil.

And this past week, I made some of these sandwiches with real
mayonnaise. Real mayo is made from whole eggs plus egg yokes (and
other things). It is about 150% fat and cholesterol and awful for you.
But the sandwiches were about the finest tasting food I have enjoyed
in the last decade or so. Sorry... I cheat sometimes (:

Hope You Enjoy!

Best Regards,

Robert,
Arlington VA, USA
dizzi

Boy does this bring back memories!! This was a favorite of mine when I was
a kid and I haven't had it since. My mom made it the exact same way as you
are describing it and we all loved it. I am going to have to make some
before all the tomatoes are gone.
Thanks!
dizzi

"Robert" > wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have been enjoying the end of summer bounty from the two wonderful
> tomato plants in the back yard. Including "Fried Tomatoes" like I grew
> up with in the 50's. When talking about my "version" of fried tomatoes
> with others, I have found that they were very unusual, and no one had
> heard of. But they sure are good (: So I hope you all might enjoy my
> recipe...

[excessive quoting snipped by Gedge/moderator]