jw 1111

Default cooked rice in fridge or room temperature?

hi when i cook i like to cook a bit extra and freeze some for another time.

can i successfully freeze cooked whole grain rice. and if i have some that
i say wish to eat tomorrow that i have just cooked am i best keeping it at
room temperature of put it in the fridge.

also soya milk, can i freeze that succesfully?

many thanks john west.
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>can i successfully freeze cooked whole grain rice. and if i have some that
>i say wish to eat tomorrow that i have just cooked am i best keeping it at
>room temperature of put it in the fridge.

I /believe/ that cooked rice is meant to be 'dangerous' to leave
at room temperature (picks up/develops some kind of nasty bacteria
- someone else will doubtless be able to give you more details)
but FWIW, I've always kept mine in the pan at room temperature
overnight (it fries better after a day of drying out!) and I've
not died of anything nasty so far.
--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
Plug

>>can i successfully freeze cooked whole grain rice. and if i have some
>>that
>>i say wish to eat tomorrow that i have just cooked am i best keeping it
>>at
>>room temperature of put it in the fridge.

> I /believe/ that cooked rice is meant to be 'dangerous' to leave
> at room temperature .....

Reheated cooked rice needs to be treated with respect because it can cause
nasty food poisoning. If you intend to freeze it, let it cool down in the
fridge, then freeze as soon as it has cooled. Reheat in a microwave and
make sure it is very hot before you eat it. In cool weather, the risk is
not so great, but during hot weather or in a hot kitchen, when bacteria can
multiply very quickly, it can be dangerous. It does not taste "off" so
don't use that as an indicator. FWIW I never eat rice at a buffet in the
summer.
Deb
skhoover

<snip> can i successfully freeze cooked whole grain rice. and if i have
some that
> i say wish to eat tomorrow that i have just cooked am i best keeping it

at
> room temperature of put it in the fridge.

<snip>

When I cook rice (almost always brown), I always make the maximum my rice
steamer will hold, then freeze the unused portion in individual servings in
snack-size plastic bags. I've never left cooked rice at room temperature
for very long. If you're going to use it in a day or two, I'd put it in the
fridge.

Kathy
Karen

My husband is Japanese and makes rice everyday. He just adds a touch of
Vinegar and it will keep it fresh.

Karen

"jw 1111" > wrote ...
> can i successfully freeze cooked whole grain rice. and if i have some
> that i say wish to eat tomorrow that i have just cooked am i best keeping
> it at room temperature of put it in the fridge.
>
> also soya milk, can i freeze that succesfully?

jw 1111

"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
> My husband is Japanese and makes rice everyday. He just adds a touch of
> Vinegar and it will keep it fresh.

thanks. can you kindly further explain to a novice what a touch is? half
a teaspoon, a dessert spoon ? to what quantity of rice roughly please?
Karen

Well, he has a rice cooker thats about 2 cups and he just adds, literally a
few drops of vinegar. I have Oil & Vinegar bottles and he just pours no more
than a teaspoon in it. He never refrigerates his rice. (Took me a while to
get used to that...lol). Don't add too much because you will taste the
vinegar if you do.

Karen

"jw 1111" > wrote ...

> "Karen" > wrote...
>> My husband is Japanese and makes rice everyday. He just adds a touch of
>> Vinegar and it will keep it fresh.
>>

> thanks. can you kindly further explain to a novice what a touch is? half
> a teaspoon, a dessert spoon ? to what quantity of rice roughly please?

jw 1111

Karen hi,

Sorry but i still am not much further ahead. two cups? it that the
standard teacup of uncooked rice or the small plastic 'wine glass size'
measure that comes with rice cookers?

so you had two drops to this?

that would be fine, but then you say; I have Oil & Vinegar bottles and he
just pours no more than a teaspoon in it. so now were talking teaspoons
about what?

i expect i am being dense here

"Karen" > wrote ...
> Well, he has a rice cooker thats about 2 cups and he just adds, literally
> a few drops of vinegar.

<mod snip>

>> "Karen" > wrote...
>>> My husband is Japanese and makes rice everyday. He just adds a touch of
>>> Vinegar and it will keep it fresh.
>>>

>> thanks. can you kindly further explain to a novice what a touch is?
>> half a teaspoon, a dessert spoon ? to what quantity of rice roughly
>> please?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Plug wrote:

> Reheated cooked rice needs to be treated with respect because it can cause
> nasty food poisoning. If you intend to freeze it, let it cool down in the
> fridge, then freeze as soon as it has cooled.

Hot food should not be placed in the fridge. That's an uneconomic use of
energy, in addition you also warm up food stored next to it. Better to
let things cool for an hour or two, then place them into the fridge (or
the freezer, if desired).
Plug

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" > wrote in message
> Plug wrote:
>
> snipped
> Hot food should not be placed in the fridge.

You are absolutely right - I wrote it during a heat wave here - rice left
standing at room temperature for hours is not good. It's a question of
balance.

D.E.

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" > schreef in bericht
> Plug wrote:
>
>> Reheated cooked rice needs to be treated with respect because it can
>> cause
>> nasty food poisoning. If you intend to freeze it, let it cool down in
>> the
>> fridge, then freeze as soon as it has cooled.

> Hot food should not be placed in the fridge. That's an uneconomic use of
> energy, in addition you also warm up food stored next to it. Better to
> let things cool for an hour or two, then place them into the fridge (or
> the freezer, if desired).

Hm I ussually take a time of 1.5 hours.
But I put the pan/container in a bath of "cold" water
(just tab water) and it cools faster.