compo

Default Marrows

I have some 'Long Green Bush' Marrows maturing in the garden and would
appreciate any recipes or suggestions on how best to cook them.

--
Thanks,

Compo.
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>I have some 'Long Green Bush' Marrows maturing in the garden and would
>appreciate any recipes or suggestions on how best to cook them.

My favourite was always baked with cheese sauce.
(sorry, not really a recipe, but your cheese sauce can be tailored
to your own taste - I like it with mild cheese and bay leaves whilst
cooking, and then a parmesan+breadcrumb sprinkle on top)

--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/
compo

The message >
from compo > contains these words:

> I have some 'Long Green Bush' Marrows maturing in the garden and would
> appreciate any recipes or suggestions on how best to cook them.

I posted this question some days ago and it appeared to have fallen into
a black hole, as a result I posted the same question to rec.food.cooking
and have received a number of useful tips.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,

Compo - Scotland
signman

OK, I'll bite.....

what ARE "marrows"??? Apparently "marrows" is not an North American term

signman
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>OK, I'll bite.....
>
>what ARE "marrows"??? Apparently "marrows" is not an North American term

It's what you get when you go on holiday and don't ask someone
to pick your courgettes (zuchini to you) for you whilst you're
away.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/g...1440518174.jpg
--
Caption Competition: http://sig.comps.org/caption/

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
shrink2005

I was intrigued too... here is a link to a picture and description of this
vegetable...

http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/marr...ss-f1-712.aspx

"compo" > wrote in message
> The message >
> from compo > contains these words:
>
>> I have some 'Long Green Bush' Marrows maturing in the garden and would
>> appreciate any recipes or suggestions on how best to cook them.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
shrink2005

Hello all,

I did a little Internet Research on Marrows. Here is part of what I found.

English Vegetable Marrows (cucurbita pepo) are part of the squash family.
They are considered an autumn squash. Marrows look like overgrown
zucchinis. Marrows are popular in the UK, but are seldom grown in the
United States. It's ashame, because marrows are very easy to grow, and with
little effort you should be able to get some large marrows. You can grow
giant specimens with as little as a 10 ft x 6 ft space.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
shrink2005

Also,

Marrows are similar to green zucchinis in taste and texture. In my opinion,
my marrows had a better taste than the common green zucchini you can buy at
any store in the U.S.A. Marrows are commonly stuffed with minced meat, or
used to make jams & chutneys. There are many smaller varieties of marrows
that are great for cooking. eSeeds.com has a large international selection
of marrows that sells to the U.S.A..